20 posts in this topic

Protection From The Past

Date: Early 1980's

Goodwill Beauty Supply Goods

CPAGE on Scene

Thanks R1SmokeEater for added info.

post-23-1219455697.jpg

Tim

That is 964 Mclean Avenue at Glover Ave that was the Goodwill beauty supply goods. I buffed that fire I think it was in or around 1983 or 84. In the pic that is L-74 without the door on the truck. I think that fire went to a 3rd alarm.

Keep them coming great stuff.

Chris

Edited by CPAGE

Cpage, Yup McLean & Glover and by the name on FF's back at pedestal, Ladder-74 too.

What happened to the door on the ALF? Just curious.

I love looking at the old fire scene photos, must have been a cooker.

Cpage, Yup McLean & Glover and by the name on FF's back at pedestal, Ladder-74 too.

Thanks

Find the Engine # parked behind the Red Chevy Camaro in this picture.

post-23-1219511109.jpg

Tim

That is 964 Mclean Avenue at Glover Ave that was the Goodwill beauty supply goods. I buffed that fire I think it was in or around 1983 or 84. In the pic that is L-74 without the door on the truck. I think that fire went to a 3rd alarm.

Keep them coming great stuff.

Chris

Late 84 , early 85.

Thanks

Find the Engine # parked behind the Red Chevy Camaro in this picture.

-That's 12-Engines old Continental.

What happened to the door on the ALF? Just curious.

I love looking at the old fire scene photos, must have been a cooker.

All through the 80's and into the mid 90's Yonkers Fire Apparatus were in horrible shape...it would not be uncommon for a rig to be missing a door...oftentimes apparatus would go out of service and the "spare" we were issued would be a a Suburban or a van...many rigs would have major difficulty going into pump and with certain ladder co.'s you crossed your fingers that the aerial would go up...I used to have to sit on a turned over compound bucket in the crew cab of one Engine Company I worked on...even had certain apparatus that if you used the horn too much you lost your brakes...

...through the efforts of many different people- in administration, the unions, Chiefs, line Firefighters and Officers, we have gotten to where we are today, and those of us who can remember the "old days" appreciate what we have and don't want to go back and thus our frustration when outsiders question our apparatus purchasing policy OR when some (only some) of our newer members don't seem to appreciate what we have today...

All through the 80's and into the mid 90's Yonkers Fire Apparatus were in horrible shape...it would not be uncommon for a rig to be missing a door...oftentimes apparatus would go out of service and the "spare" we were issued would be a a Suburban or a van...many rigs would have major difficulty going into pump and with certain ladder co.'s you crossed your fingers that the aerial would go up...I used to have to sit on a turned over compound bucket in the crew cab of one Engine Company I worked on...even had certain apparatus that if you used the horn too much you lost your brakes...

...through the efforts of many different people- in administration, the unions, Chiefs, line Firefighters and Officers, we have gotten to where we are today, and those of us who can remember the "old days" appreciate what we have and don't want to go back and thus our frustration when outsiders question our apparatus purchasing policy OR when some (only some) of our newer members don't seem to appreciate what we have today...

-I'm Wittya' Chief !!

nothing like cooking in the back of the macks shutting down hydrants :o

PFP

post-23-1219628519.jpg

I believe the Front of Ladder 73 says "Supertrain" on it. The photo is reduced to fit post.

3rd alarm

post-23-1219630164.jpg

A real mish mash of apparatus there, Mack's, American LaFrance and Compac and all Lime Yellow too boot.

It's been a while, but isn't that the current location of the Heritage Pub? Ahh....little Ireland! B)

It's been a while, but isn't that the current location of the Heritage Pub? Ahh....little Ireland! B)

you are correct Sir.. I'll have a pint.

chris

How many Tillers did Yonkers have back then? I can see a few in the picture.

How many Tillers did Yonkers have back then? I can see a few in the picture.

There were 3-1979 ALF Tillers, and the one in the pic w/ Continental tractor was a refurbed older one.

Cool Pictures! How bout the "AA" ambulance in the top of the photo! And all the lime fire trucks in Yonkers...almost unbelievable!