Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Making life easier

18 posts in this topic

Let me first explain where I am coming from here. I am a supervising dispatcher with FDNY. I have just about 8 years in the job and am a former member of Lake Carmel FD(4 years explorer, a little more than 6 as a firefighter, in between leave periods from the USCG). I would like to pass on some ideas I have that would make the lives of both the Firefighter/EMT/Medic and Dispatcher easier.

1) GEOGRAPHY!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough. Although we all work with a CAD, don't allow it to be the be all, end all. It's only as good as the person using it, and the CAD Street files. Learn landmarks, use them to your advantage. Granted NYC is a large city with plenty of Landmarks to choose from, you can use some in your town to help learn your job much better. This also helps when giving directions to mutual aid units not familiar with the area they are heading into.

Example: I'm working at 60 Control one day and I hear a report of a fire on Route 100 near the Elephant Hotel. I know from living in that area, or having relatives close by, it's the end of 100 where it meets 202, just down from the Somers firehouse(Somers).

I'm going to know right off the bat who to dispatch.

Get out and see the area you protect. Get in the car and drive around. Use points of interest to associate with a specific department or firehouse. It could be something as big as a 6 story multiple dwelling, or something simple, like a store you frequent.

2) ASSETS Know what departments you dispatch bring to the table. Have a current, and occasionally updated list of what apparatus each department has. If a chief asks for mutual aid and isn't specific in what they want,(I want a tanker and an engine to the scene and a tanker and truck to my quarters to stand by) and if the mutual aid agreements are a little fuzzy, get them what they want fast.

Putnam Lake asks for a tanker and engine to the scene, depending on where it is, you can tone out Patterson or Brewster for those units, or one engine from Brewster and a tanker from Patterson. Knowing who has an aerial and who has a tower ladder is also a plus. This comes in handy when you have a situation where elevated streams are going to come into play, such as a taxpayer or a large vacant structure.

3) MAKE SOME FRIENDS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RADIO

There are dispatchers out there, in lots of different jurisdictions, that really don't know, or don't want to know, in some unfortunate cases, the difference between an engine and a ladder. Throw the buckets and rescues and tankers into the mix and heads spin. This rule works both ways, as I will explain later. If you're new at the job, and you don't have much of a background in the fire service, this can be a challenge. Yes, there are people out there who just see the flashing lights and have no idea what that truck, or its crew, does. For people who dispatch in areas where there are plenty of Volunteers, head over to a firehouse on a Sunday morning when they are drilling. Introduce yourself and ask to go over some of the equipment. ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS!!!!! It will help you have a better understanding of why you're sending a unit to a particular type of incident, other than, "Because that's what we have to send". If you're training dispatchers, set something up to make a trip to a firehouse to see the equipment, or have the units come to you. People react better to visual stimulation. As time goes on, you can explain the more complicated stuff, such as responsibilities of units by order of arrival. (For firehouse trips, NEVER go anywhere empty handed. Bring cookies or cake or a bag of fruit. Fliet Mingon is nice too) :wink:

GET A SCANNER It can be something as simple as a twenty channel base, or the super pimped out mega buff jobs with more bells and whistles than the newest luxury sedan. Listen to that radio every so often. I learned more about talking on the radio by listening and taking cues from other dispatchers than actually being taught by my instructors(Both of whom are legendary for their radio style). Mentally note the good habits, and listen for traits that make one sound bad, or unprofessional.

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE You may hear something totally out of the ordinary, or be dealing with someone who may not be too sure of their surroundings. Try not to lose focus of the job at hand. Keep your wits about you, as it will help the one in need.

And now, my advice for the Firefighters and EMS folks.

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE Please understand, that we have our fingers in everybodys pie. Granted, you may be monitoring that scanner or radio and hear something that you may be going to, or you think you should be going to. But, once that alarm goes off, you concentrate on the assignment in front of you. We're not always perfect and we are far from omnipitent or clairvoyant. We have to keep track of everyone as so not to lose someone in the mix when it gets busy.

DON'T COMPLAIN!!!!!!! If you have a question about an assignment, or a concern, please call the dispatcher and ask about it. But unless it's something totally off the wall, wait till you get back. Please, when you call, remember the honey/vinegar analogy. BE POLITE ABOUT IT!!!!! Nine times out of ten, we will be more receptive to your concerns and will get you the answers you're looking for. If we can't, we'll figure out a way to get it to you. Confrontation is no good, because we're all working toward the same goal. I have hung up on people who have spoken to me like I am garbage and will continue to do so, or I will politely, but with force, put them in their place. I have the utmost respect for those of you on the other side of the radio, but don't abuse that respect. If you're not going to a fire or emergency, there is a good reason for it. Either, you're not normally assigned on the incident, you're too far away, or the area is thin on units and right now, you're stayin home because you're needed there. There will always be another one where you will be first due.

MAKE FRIENDS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RADIO!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stress this enough. Go to your dispatchers office, either on your own time, or with your unit. ASK QUESTIONS!!!!!! Not just, "Hey what does this button do???" But ask how things get done, how we decide who goes, and who relocates. Spend time looking over the office. Spend time looking over response protocols. Ask us about the equipment we work with. Nothing makes me happier than a firefighter come up to me and say, "I had no idea you guys have to do all this stuff." That tells me that they not only have a better understanding of how and why we do things, but it also lets me know that maybe, just maybe they won't get too upset when the big one comes in and they're not assigned. NEVER show up emptyhanded. Bring me a bottle of Diet Cherry Pepsi and I'm your friend for life!!!!

Please feel free to comment on what you've read here and add to it. Thanx for your time, stay safe and enjoy the new year.

This has to be the most professional, most serious, and most truthful thread on EMTBravo...besides IA's

JBE's the man

While I agree with what you say JBE, I would like to make one comment where only being familiar with the area and not truly knowing it can be a problem.

Example: I'm working at 60 Control one day and I hear a report of a fire on Route 100 near the Elephant Hotel. I know from living in that area, or having relatives close by, it's the end of 100 where it meets 202, just down from the Lincolndale firehouse(Somers).

If there was a job dispatched like this (just down from the Lincolndale Firehouse). It could be in two different areas of town as there is a discrepency. The Lincolndale Firehouse in located on State Route 139 down the road from Route 202. The cross streets given (202 and 100) are several hundred feet away from the Somers Firehouse. Going one better, I've responded to one call that was reported to be Route 202 "down the road" from Route 100. The call ended up on 202, by Route 118 several miles away!

I have responded to plenty of alarms where both the street names given were right and not the landmark and where the landmark was right but not the street names. An alarm such as this may warrent an invesigation to both areas.

Landmarks should be kept current. Realistically, that hasn't been the Elephant Hotel in quite some time. Someone new to the area may only know that as the Somers Town House.

A better example would be Route 202 in the area of the old Ponderosa. If I heard that I would know exactly where it is along with numerous other "old timers". Currently it is Somers Chase. All the newbies would (with in the last 5 to 10 years) may only know it as that.

Landmarks aren't the be all, end all. They can help, but can also add to confustion.

Nice post JBE landmarks are great for mututazl aid companies. How many times do you hear the chief say make a left onto such and such than a right onto such and such another left another right go down the road and you wil see the scene. Another good piece of advice is for going mutual aid is get a hagstrom map. You never know where you might end up going mutual aid.

JBE, if there was an award for the best post of2004, I think youl'd take it hands down! GREAT post!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Truly professional and very helpful ! The "honey and vinegar" part is the only way to get things accomplished.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

If there was a job dispatched like this (just down from the Lincolndale Firehouse). It could be in two different areas of town as there is a discrepency.

Sorry about that, but, point proven. We're not clairvoyant or omnipotent.

I can't stress this enough. Go to your dispatchers office, either on your own time, or with your unit. ASK QUESTIONS!!!!!! Not just, "Hey what does this button do???" But ask how things get done, how we decide who goes, and who relocates. Spend time looking over the office. Spend time looking over response protocols. Ask us about the equipment we work with. Nothing makes me happier than a firefighter come up to me and say, "I had no idea you guys have to do all this stuff." That tells me that they not only have a better understanding of how and why we do things,

This is so true. At work people complain about the dispatchers all the time, be it Cencom or 60 Control. Most have NO idea what happens on the other side of the console. I've worked dispatch enough to know that dispatchers get crapped on all the time. Be it by callers from hospitals complaining that thier ambulance is late even tho it's only 2 minutes after the scheduled time, or people calling 911 multiple times screaming that they called for the FD 5 minutes ago, whats taking so long.

Your comments about the CAD system (I'm too lazy to cut and paste em) are very true too. Unfortunatly, it is my understanding that the dispatchers at 60 control have thier hands tied when it comes to over riding the CAD system. Perfect example.....lets say someone at 60 knows Katonah/Bedford well, and knows that Route 35 at Holly Branch Rd is right on the Bedford/Lewisboro line. It's 1 minute (literally) from 45medic3's station. An MVA comes in with injuries. They get a call from BPD for a medic. The CAD tells them it's 45Medic1's district. But they know medic1 is in Kisco. Can they override the CAD and send medic3? NO. Does that make sense? Not really. Should the lines be redrawn by whomever? YES. Should I do what a lot of people might do and get mad at the dispatcher? NO, becasuse I know the underlying cause and thats it's not thier fault.

Get to know the system and the people who run it and you just might find yourself working in a well oiled machine as opposed to an old clunker. (Tho I still want to take a large amount of explosives to the tower in North Salem).

That's kind of unfortunate that they can't override the system. There have been times where we have done that and just gone against the assignment given to us. But that's another story for another time.

I personally find it unfortunate that 60ctl can't override it's CAD. Personally, where I dispatch we run by the rule that "Dispatchers control units... can tell them where, or where not to go... and have the ultimate say" (Well, obviously except for higher-ups/supervisors that can override that) - but it's the disgression of the supervisor.

No, things don't always make sense... but if I know I have an ambulance say 1 minute from a call, but the primary due ambulance is 5 minutes away... I'd personally send the 1 minute ambulance, yeah it'll piss off the primary due crew, but we're not here to play "I wanna help the guy", we're here to help people.

These are the kinds of threads that I like seeing.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Excellent points and advice that can be used by everyone!

What is all boils down to....mutual respect and proffesionalism.......on both sides.

It's all to easy to just play "Blame The Dispatcher" . There's a lot that goes on there that field people don't see or understand,and vice versa.

I just wanted to touch on Seths' comment about blaming the dispatcher. Like I said before, we are not clairvoyant or omnipotent. If we screw something up, call us and tell us. Politely, of course.

If there is an assignment you think you should be going to, look into getting the protocols or assignments changed. We are usually pretty receptive to your concerns. I do have a battalion chief friend who is looking to get a bunch of his assignments changed, not only because he wants to get into everything, but some of the assignments are just wrong. Unfortunately the proper fires haven't been lit under the right rear ends.

And as for CAD, remember, it is a Computer ASSISTED Dispatch System. If you know better than the computer, and if it isn't something like banging out Katonah to something that is in Croton Falls District, go ahead and do it. Most bosses, if they understand the reasoning of the dispatcher and agree with it, should go to bat for you.

great post jbe ,and firehouses should remember the dispatch/comms centre has to look at the big picture and as fdny dispatch seems as busy as us over here in sydney oz yes sometimes some get upset when there is a big one and they don't get assigned,and all should remember don't piss a dispatcher off because remember who gets to decide who does the 3am fire watch/fire duties.

One other thing I was thinking of, and didn't mention. This is more for prospective dispatchers. Just because you are a volunteer, or a buff, doesn't mean you're going to be a great dispatcher. Does having an enthusiasm about the emergency services help?? YES!! It may give you an advantage over some people, but I have seen a number of people who are buffs, who couldn't handle one or two working fires at once. They can tell you history up the wazoo, and may be able to rattle off other bits of useless info, but when it gets busy, I'd just as soon have them washing dishes. On the flip side of this, I worked with a gentleman up in the Bronx. Fella by the name of Phil Mitchell. The man was no buff by any means, but he could run circles around some of the most well known super buffs in our job. That's someone I would much rather have working with/for me, as opposed to someone who knows how many halligan bars a truck company carries.

I say this more as advice rather than a warning. That was my rude awakening when I came in the job. Thought I knew a lot about the job, being a buff, and an ex-vollie. I didn't know a thing. But you can bet yer @$$ I learned.

Edited by JBE

I wouldn't mind doing the walkthrough in the firehouses in Putnam. Maybe the chiefs in the county can get together with the dispatchers and take us all through. Not all of us at 911 are vollies, or former vollies(hehe). So learning this stuff would help.

You tell them Jimmy !

Oh, by the way....one more point for dispatching....

ANTICIPATE NEEDS....Try to put yourself at the scene and in the shoes of the IC. View the big picture based upon the sizeup that the IC is relaying to you. How large is the fire building; what are the exposures; is it a wekday or weekend; is there a hydrant system or are tankers required; do I need to relocate apparatus; etc.

Get the point ? Use your head and always be prepared ! Don't wait until the roof falls in BEFORE you do something about it.

Ciao.