Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firefighter36

Elected Officials - Do they really have any idea?

17 posts in this topic

I'm not one for being a politician. That being said, we had a State-level politician at my department's board of fire commissioners meeting mast night. What started out with him touting the need for consolidation, studies, etc, turned into a big mess. What struck me the most, was his attitude towards us (the firefighters!)

The following statements were made:

1. This politician referred to the Ambulance as a "Meat Wagon." When one of our officers took exception, his response was, "I was in the Air Force, I can call it that, have a little fun with this."

2. This same politician then referred to our Fire Commissioners as "politicians" and stated that "politicians are only out to get elected and re-elected." Interesting, since after all, this man is up for Re-Election in November.....

3. As the board and the public were going back and forth, 6 of us form the job sat in the back of the room with long faces over what was going on as the politician said directly to us "You guys need to learn to smile."

Anyways, there was reference made to nearly every aspect of our job and employment. This man makes far more than us, and as I understand it, he only really is accountable to being in Albany when the assembly is in session. Not bad for a part-time job.

With the state calling for budget cuts, and the current political climate, does this guy have any clue what impact his statements made on his audience? Was he playing to the masses for votes? Was he even thinking to begin with? I know we can sit here and talk about the rigors of what we do, but its true that only those of us who are in the public safety field truly understand the meat and potatoes of the profession.

I intend to respond to this man's words in the best way I know how, with a vote for his opponent this November. My true question for everyone is, though, if these are the people making decisions in Albany, do we really stand a chance?

Edited by mbendel36

I was not at the meeting but I'll take a wild guess and say that it sounds like something our wounderful Assemblymen Joel Miller would do.He's the best!

It was Mr. Miller, and while his statements lack intelligence, I was trying to point out that politicians really have no idea what we are facing. That being said, his opponent has my vote in November.

Edited by mbendel36

Was he playing to the masses for votes? Was he even thinking to begin with?

I'm curious, when you say he was "playing to the masses" how many people were there? 25? 100, 1,000? Was the mainstream media present?

Either way, if your unhappy with his performance/treatment of those present, then by all means as you indicated, you should pull the lever for his opponent in November (that is if someone is running against him).

Maybe I stated it wrong, I think he was definitely play-cating to people's angst about the tax situation, but his comments made his ideas (which were pretty good) less credible.

Politicians are the biggest hypocrites going. They tell you what you want to hear and then after they get elected they have short memories. They are all full of s***, every last one of them

2. This same politician then referred to our Fire Commissioners as "politicians" and stated that "politicians are only out to get elected and re-elected." Interesting, since after all, this man is up for Re-Election in November.....

obviously some self interest, but i'd 100% agree commissioners are politicians, as well as any other officer in the FD and EMS. a portion of the job is to do what you were voted in for, the other part of the job is to do something for the people that voted you in - something in good consciousness. Otherwise, you won't have the job when running again, or even be kicked out of your position for doing negitive/bad things. Especially fire commissioners bc the general public has a say, obviously unlike an Lt or Captain's position.

obviously some self interest, but i'd 100% agree commissioners are politicians, as well as any other officer in the FD and EMS. a portion of the job is to do what you were voted in for, the other part of the job is to do something for the people that voted you in - something in good consciousness. Otherwise, you won't have the job when running again, or even be kicked out of your position for doing negitive/bad things. Especially fire commissioners bc the general public has a say, obviously unlike an Lt or Captain's position.

I'd tend to agree with that analogy; elected commissioners are unpaid and as such, unless they are into a power trip have little or nothing to gain personally from the position.

elected commissioners are unpaid and as such, unless they are into a power trip have little or nothing to gain personally from the position.

Well said!!!

Anybody who believes politicians have ANYTHING at heart other than their own PERSONAL situation and how to best improve that has allowed their idealism to overstep the bounds of reality. I don't think politicians start off this way. I think the system does it to them.

I think it starts when some wealthy / influential somebody bumps into you "quite accidentally" and chats you up, telling you how he/she admires your "answer to the call of public service", pats you on the back, throws some important names around with chummy familiarity and tells you about his/her "unfortunate situation" or " special concern that needs your valuable and expensive attention", NOT in ANY WAY asking you to vote a certain way or propose a certain law or support a position, but, you know, just to tell you "how it really is for, you know, your esteemed peers...". The first time you act on that "reasonable suggestion" and suddenly find yourself, as a result, invited to gala events and parties and are invited to speak to the Chamber of Commerce at their annual dinner, and get introduced to the "big movers and shakers" by that "wealthy / influential somebody"... and the "big movers and shakers" have their own "unfortunate situations" and "special concerns". You're hooked.

The system is broken. It rewards corruption with opportunities for more corruption and bigger returns.

It doesn't matter. Rebublicrat or Democan. It's the same corporations holding the fund raisers, and sponsoring the projects and shaking the hands. It's the charitable trusts, their corporate benefactors, hiding behind the pretense of community service. It's beyond payoffs or actual bribes. It's rewards of membership, status and peer acknowledgement - which lead to payoffs and bribes, or, at least, a pension and benefits package unmatched in all the world. Look at the sort of people who get in politics and the track records they rack up. It starts off small, but just grows as their influence grows.

I'm just sickened by it. The only thing we can do is make incumbency impossible. Vote them all out EVERY TIME. No careers in politics. Don't let the weeds grow.

Meat wagon? "I was in the Air Force, i can call it that?" I don't get it. As someone who worked for two years in Dutchess, I think i may have to call Mr. Miller's office and have a word with someone.

Hey I was thinking of running for president on the "I'm just going to lie to your face" party. Anyone wanna be my running mate?

To be honest, I think that once politicians get in office, their brains hit the fan (the same fan as the one the $hit hits) get spit out, and put back into their head. The cycle repeats for every re-election.

The Democrat's fan seems to be spinning faster and has shredding blades, versus the Republican fan that has shredding blades only.

Mike

Was the mainstream media present?

I would love to see a video of this whole interaction. Its amazing what a little exposure to YouTube can do to people these days.

And, why am I not surprised that it was Joel Miller. He has been pompous and arrogant so long as I have known him to be in office.

Oh, and I almost forgot to answer your question. No, they don't have any idea, as a generic statement. On rare occasions, I have dealt with some that do genuinely care, but they are few and far between, and usually their genuine care is outweighed by the political pressure to do what is "in the best interest of the general public" and not "what benefits Fire/PD/EMS" even though that ultimately IS in the best interests for the public well being.

But that is the problem, the politicians do not see it in terms of benefiting the public down the lines. All most of them see is another expenditure on their annual budget.

His opponent has my vote.