Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gamewell45

New Legislation for Volunteers to be introduced

14 posts in this topic

U.S. Congressman John Hall will introduce a bill tomorrow, Thursday, September 4th, at 1:30 PM at the Verplanck firehouse at a press confernce. The proposed Federal bill, if approved, will authorize the increase for mileage expense deducton from .14 cents to .40 cents that volunteer firefighters and volunteer emergency service providers may report on U.S. income tax returns. The Red Cross will introduce our Congressman Hall at this event. Bob Moon, President of the Westchester County Volunteer Firemen's Association, will be a participant in the press conference. Any and all volunteer firefighters and volunteer ambulance personnel are strongly encouraged to be at the event, and in uniform. It's believed that U.S. Senator Schumer will be presenting the U.S. Senate bill simultaneously in Long Island. President Moon explains that this last minute notice is the manner by which most Federal bills are introduced. In this instance, it's important that volunteer firefighters participate in this press conference.

Considering that the IRS mileage rate is up to .585 per mile, this is the LEAST they can do. Why don't they just make the language of the bill reflect using the IRS rate so it doesn't have to be amended?

Gotta love legislators!

This is actually a raise in the rate that is allowed for volunteer activities. But I agree that making it a law in this way will jsut cause problems since the rest of the rates are set by the IRS in their administrative law. It would seem to me that while this will make some folks feel good, it will eventually be a lesser rate once again.

I also wonder how much of a benefit this will be. We have had a bunch f threads on here about the various incentive programs and if they really help to recruit or retain volunteers, is this rate just another one of those well intentioned but rarely used plans? How many EMTBravo members currently deduct volunteer miles on their taxes?

How many EMTBravo members currently deduct volunteer miles on their taxes?

I do! I tell my accountant how many calls I do a year, and he takes it from there. Of course it doesn't cover trips back and forth for meetings, drills, etc., but at least it is something!

On the Fire District side, at our Organizational Meeting in January, we use the term "Federal allowance" when setting the $ for reimbursement.

I do! I tell my accountant how many calls I do a year, and he takes it from there. Of course it doesn't cover trips back and forth for meetings, drills, etc., but at least it is something!

On the Fire District side, at our Organizational Meeting in January, we use the term "Federal allowance" when setting the $ for reimbursement.

If you already itemize, then it definitely can't hurt to figure our your points/call attendance x mileage from your house x 2 x 0.40 at the very least.

Unfortunately, I live about a mile from the firehouse so it's a whopping $0.80 per call deduction. I make a lot of calls, but I'd have to make every single call for the whole city and then some for it make itemizing worthwhile.

All in all, it's a step in the right direction, but kind of dumb. Why not just automatically go by IRS standards?

If you already itemize, then it definitely can't hurt to figure our your points/call attendance x mileage from your house x 2 x 0.40 at the very least.

Unfortunately, I live about a mile from the firehouse so it's a whopping $0.80 per call deduction. I make a lot of calls, but I'd have to make every single call for the whole city and then some for it make itemizing worthwhile.

All in all, it's a step in the right direction, but kind of dumb. Why not just automatically go by IRS standards?

"Unfortunately, I live about a mile from the firehouse so its a whopping $0.80 per call" Don't you think that its a GOOD thing that you live o close to your firehouse? That way, you are not burdening the taxpayers with any additional expense. People are losing perspective. The reason people volunteer is to GIVE to the community. Not to see how many benefits you can get.

40 cents a mile...not bad. But I think I will just take the 200.00 for giving to the community for my tax reimbursement. I mean 40 cents a mule is not bad I make a good amount of calls over 100 for the Vac and about 56 for the fd. I live a few miles from the fire house and go straight to the scene (when I have a car). I agree with you NYmedic but in an article I read volunteer applications have decreased greatly from 1990 to 2008. So its kind of like an insentive to get the numbers back up to where they should be.

I dont itemize, I do report mileage to the fire station and they do give me .585 for each mile. I dont do that to go to the station. Only if I go to the site in POV and to trainings that are more than 5 miles away.

Considering that the IRS mileage rate is up to .585 per mile, this is the LEAST they can do. Why don't they just make the language of the bill reflect using the IRS rate so it doesn't have to be amended?

Gotta love legislators!

Looks better on thier political resume.

I want mileage too and from work.

Actually, you might already qualify for mileage to and from work depending on your employement status; you should check with your accountant.

Actually, you might already qualify for mileage to and from work depending on your employement status; you should check with your accountant.

I thought that EMTBravo was about Police work, EMS work and Firefighting. Not accountants and mileage money. Is this really what its come to? How about reajusting focus on why we're here.

I thought that EMTBravo was about Police work, EMS work and Firefighting. Not accountants and mileage money. Is this really what its come to? How about reajusting focus on why we're here.

NYMedic, when the topic has a bearing on Police work, EMS work and Firefighting which in this case it does, its appropriate to be open for discussion.

sweet deal now ill just have to keep track of all the miles on my truck for going to calls to bad we cant get them to give us gas money to reinburse us