Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Peekskill VAC New Fly Car 7505

15 posts in this topic

Im just curious when Peekskill VAC gets there new fly car/officers car are they keeping the current car or are they trading it in or whats gonna happen to it

Edited by RWC130

They should give it to the fire department so the person on the BLS engine can either complete the crew when they only get a driver or go get the ambulance when no one signs on after 11pm.

I don't think thats reality. Peekskill firefighter's are hired to be firefighter's and I give them credit for providing great ALS services as well. BLS engine is a good concept, but maybe the answer would be for Peekskill VAC to get more vollie's or hire moire paid staff. I give them credit for a busy agency there doing a fine job but as with every EMS agency member #'s are down and calls are up.

I think they should keep It as a on duty emt car

I don't think thats reality. Peekskill firefighter's are hired to be firefighter's and I give them credit for providing great ALS services as well. BLS engine is a good concept, but maybe the answer would be for Peekskill VAC to get more vollie's or hire moire paid staff. I give them credit for a busy agency there doing a fine job but as with every EMS agency member #'s are down and calls are up.

I think if every agency could snap their fingers and "get more vollies" they would, however, that's not a reasonable plan of action. Like you, I'll give them credit, Peekskill is a pretty dense population to rely on volunteer EMS service, but they've been strained to their limits. You say that the BLS engine is a good concept, so how is that different from sending a utility? I have my own opinions, but I'm curious to hear yours first.

I think they should keep It as a on duty emt car

Why not use the ambulance as the on duty emt car?

Edited by Raz

With the engine running the BLS response, they are still available for a fire run, rather then back tracking and dropping off utility and picking up the engine. Could save valuable mins.

... Well its good to are peekskill Vac is getting a new fly car. When I was a member they where looking into it. Which was about 2 years ago. They have talked about keeping the old fly car and putting green lenses on the light bar and what not to make it a "utility".

As for the Vac giving it to the fd. I don't think that will ever happen. Even tho they do work very close together.

Fdva356 don't you run a BLS engine to the vets home???

I have Family in Peekskill, can someone explain to me how this EMS system works ? I know it involves FD Medic flycar, and Volly Ambo or something ??

With the engine running the BLS response, they are still available for a fire run, rather then back tracking and dropping off utility and picking up the engine. Could save valuable mins.

They are available for a "fire run" if they are not heavily involved with patient care with the medic or if they are the only provider on the scene. You answer one call at a time...you don't think 2 or 3 ahead, them being on that EMS run can save valuable minutes. You have more fire resources then you do EMS resources especially when you factor in mutual aid and one department on your border who has career staff that can most of the time get you equipment on the road immediately. It is not just a good concept, tiered EMS response is actually a national standard in many areas. This is the whole problem in a nutshell when it really comes down to it. If you are a dual service agency...both take the same priority. You either do everything well or you stick to one. Which is more critical? The person who is having an MI or another significant medical issue or the AFA that a quint is responding to, more then likely with at least another engine and a rescue that is 99.9% of the time minor or nothing? The answer....THE ONE YOU ARE DISPATCHED TO. Even further...how many apparatus does it truly take to handle the bread and butter structural fire? Or we can also take into account the fact that for every fire call, the FD averages 5+ EMS runs. So you tell me where the resources are the most needed. Maybe it would help those serious fire services that are dual service providers to not just have "fire" department in their name. Believe it or not in many areas it works just fine every single day.

don't think thats reality. Peekskill firefighter's are hired to be firefighter's and I give them credit for providing great ALS services as well. BLS engine is a good concept, but maybe the answer would be for Peekskill VAC to get more vollie's or hire moire paid staff. I give them credit for a busy agency there doing a fine job but as with every EMS agency member #'s are down and calls are up.

If they are hired to be "firefighters" then why also are they now required to maintain their EMS certification as part of their job requirement? I don't think your far off that perhaps more staffing is needed, however that doesn't mean you scale back a service to your customers. If anything the FD BLSFR in Peekskill should be much stronger and more consistant then what it is. I also give them credit, but tickfighter has a strong and factual statement. There are often many times the FF/Paramedic has to fulfill their crew if they only get a driver for the bus. As far as "doing a fine job" that is always in the eye of the beholder and what your standards are. What actual dignifies "a fine job?" What percentage of not having a full crew or going mutual aid is acceptable? What response time? Because let me tell you when your in pain and your awaiting an ambulance and its going on the 4th and 5th agency and its not been 50 minutes to an hour...that's debatable.

The bottom line is with good management and policy it can works and does work in many areas busier and with less resources then that area. All it takes is planning and an understanding of resource management.

I was thinking this is what you meant, and ALS beat me to the punch with most of my discussion points. Yes, taking the engine on a BLS run will allow for faster turnaround when going from an EMS call to a fire call. However, once patient contact is made, it doesn't matter what vehicle you have parked outside, you are not going to legally leave that patient unless a few conditions are met. Peekskill has enough rigs that it would be an extremely rare circumstance where nothing would be available to answer a call. You take things as they happen, withholding resources because you're playing out worst case scenarios in your head is a way I'd run my department at a call, but not day to day.

Also, there's the fact that a fly car is able to be secured and left on scene, which would allow the FD EMT to complete the crew and ride a call in.

I have Family in Peekskill, can someone explain to me how this EMS system works ? I know it involves FD Medic flycar, and Volly Ambo or something ??

OK, I'm going to try and explain this without a flowchart...

Any EMS call within the city limits will get you an ambulance from Peekskill VAC and an ALS flycar from either Cortlandt Regional Paramedics, or Peekskill Fire, depending on what units are available. Sometimes there's a full crew in the VAC quarters, sometimes there's not. If they have a crew, that's it, end of story.

If they don't, a second page is sent out asking for a driver, EMT, or both; and the FD's BLS engine is sent to the scene. This helps to get another trained set of hands on the scene, but the FD EMT's aren't allowed to transport, since they would be abandoning the rig.

If the VAC can't get a crew by this point, the call goes mutual aid.

Note: A paid EMT is staffed at the VAC from the hours of 6 am to 6 pm. He will roll the rig on the first page, and only a driver or EMT is needed to complete the crew. Other than that, the call proceeds the same as above.

Edited by Raz

I remember when they got the one they have now.

It's a Nissan Pathfinder, I am gonna say it's a 95-97?

If they need a new one they should get one. In fact they should

have got a new one a long time ago. Very well deserved! It gets a lot

of use as a Officer/First Responder vehicle.

Peekskill VAC does a lot of calls.

As mentioned they are a Volunteer Ambulance Corp with a daytime paid

EMT to help with staffing from Empress EMS 6 AM to 6 PM.

Peekskill VAC is a Good Group of People! :D

Except for that guy Mitch 7511 (Just kidding Brother!)

Talking about the responses and resources, it goes back to the saying and I think ALS will back me up on this-The PD doesn't disregard a barking dog or noise complaint because a bank robbery or shooting might happen. So why should we do the same? I mean we are here to provide the most superior service possible. The Peekskill system for the most part was designed and ensures that there will be trained personnel at the patient's side ASAP (unless call volume is extemely high), whether it be a VAC EMT, CRP Medic, PFD Medic, or PFD FF/EMT.

I was a member of PCVAC for a long time... they definitely use the fly car the right way. I miss having the time to run with em, but it isn't in my cards right now. Peekskill VAC would also be a great place for new emt's to break in and I have a feeling they could always use the help.... Good luck with the new vehicles and keep up the great work.

KRF...you do listen when we have our round robins don't you. lol.

Don't forget to add that if both FD medics are out the BLS engine can't be dispatched without Chief officer approval. So if you're having severe shortness of breath, are unconcious, unresponsive or dead...and every other unit is out on other calls, you may not get the last resource available.