WAS967

New Milford Ambulance to Hire Paid Staff

13 posts in this topic

Pay-for ambulance is coming to town

80-year volunteeer service to go to paid daytime help in a few months

By Nanci G. Hutson

STAFF WRITER

Article Last Updated: 09/11/2008 03:04:19 PM EDT

Within the next few months, the New Milford Community Ambulance Corps expects to contract for a paid daytime ambulance crew with new emergency medical technicians.

In addition, the volunteer ambulance association intends to hire a company to handle the billing for a paid service to cover the costs associated with such daytime coverage.

For more than a year, the volunteers have been contemplating hiring a paid crew to handle daytime ambulance calls four or five days a week between the hours of 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Volunteers are difficult to find for the daytime shifts because so many people now work and the demands for ambulance coverage in town are on the rise.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.newstimes.com/ci_10438111?IADID...w.newstimes.com

A question about the Paramedic district up there if anyone knows or is familiar. What other towns are covered by the Campion medic other than New Milford. Must be some pretty sparsely populated areas like Sherman (the town time forgot) since it seems New Milford accounts for a vast majority of the calls apparently.

The Medic District includes New Milford, Sherman, Kent, Washington, Bridgewater, Roxbury, and Warren.

Edited by Slayer61

Some additional info, Campion Ambulance is based out of Waterbury CT and is contracted to provide various level of care throughout the northwest New haven, Northern Fairfield and parts of Litchfield counties.

Also, the Medic is based out of New Milford Hospital.

The Medic District includes New Milford, Sherman, Kent, Washington, Bridgewater, Roxbury, and Warren.

Thanks Slayer.

All I have to say is thank God. NMVAC definitely needs the help, their call volume is increasing and it seems that they can't get a crew out to more and more calls. Hopefully this will take some of the pressure off their mutual aid departments who have to cover alot New Milford's runs.

All I have to say is thank God. NMVAC definitely needs the help, their call volume is increasing and it seems that they can't get a crew out to more and more calls. Hopefully this will take some of the pressure off their mutual aid departments who have to cover alot New Milford's runs.

Hmmmm...maybe you could loan out some the management that woke up and smelled the coffee to some of the agencies in this county so they'll get a grip and realize that they need support.

I don't think it was so much management as it was the State Office of Emergency Medical Services coming in to do an audit of their responses after numerous complaints of response times GREATER than 30 minutes.

I don't think it was so much management as it was the State Office of Emergency Medical Services coming in to do an audit of their responses after numerous complaints of response times GREATER than 30 minutes.

You have to factor in, though, that New Milford's EMS coverage area is HUGE, and most of it is down narrow, windy roads. That also factors into transport and turnaround times. Plus, they only have two ambulances, and run well over 1,500 calls a year and growing.

I don't know if this came with a lot of drama or not from the membership, but overall they made the smart move to resolve a problem that many VAC's spend time trying to cover up.

Seth,

I absolutely concede that point about the size of the town, its the largest town (by area) in the state of Connecticut, but having heard them on the radio I would tend to think its alot more of not being able to get out the door than just long travel distance. On a Saturday morning I once heard a call for a 4 year old accidential overdose go mutual aid for lack of response. Obviously thats just one case, but its not the first time I've heard the only ambo call in town go mutual aid for New Milford. I give kudos to the department for deciding to finally go with paid staff, but its a shame it took this long for the decision to be made. Of course, I won't throw geological artifacts without recognizing the transparence and fragility of my own residence, New Fairfield has its fair share of response problems as well, along with alot of other towns, but we tried to do something to address it. Either way, this is a good decision for the citizens of New Milford.

Edited by SageVigiles

Hmmmm...maybe you could loan out some the management that woke up and smelled the coffee to some of the agencies in this county so they'll get a grip and realize that they need support.

Agreed.

This change is long overdue in New Milford. It is isn't really the fact that the town is huge, which slows down some response times. This is about having dozens of members, but only a handful who actively respond to calls. I have heard more calls than I can count take 30-45 minutes for a crew to arrive on scene. I am actually suprised that the response time is said to be an average of only 12 minutes, I would have predicted it to be longer. I am relieved that this is happening, I know that my family and friends will be safer for it. There are a few truly dedicated volunteers who respond tirelessly, one of whom was the only EMT who responded to the incident which instigated the investigation, and they do a great job for the people of New Milford. It must be frustrating for them that this is happening, but I'm glad the agency has decided to take this step.

Edited by Slayer61