Teen killed after being hit by cop car responding to a call

16 posts in this topic

Date: 9/28/08

Units Operating: Vill. Maybrook PD, NYSP, Town of Montgomery PD

Writer: JETPHOTO

Description Of Incident:

Montgomery teen killed after being hit by cop car responding to a call

September 29, 2008

MONTGOMERY— A 19-year-old Montgomery woman was killed Sunday when after being struck by an on-duty police officer on Route 208, police said.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...0929012/-1/NEWS

Edited by JetPhoto

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that there is sound explanation for this.

i second that...i hate hearing things like this...i hope it was not the officer's fault

is there any more information to this story yet??? just got done reading the article. i am suprised there arent more accidents involving police cars with they way that SOME of them drive.

is there any more information to this story yet??? just got done reading the article. i am suprised there arent more accidents involving police cars with they way that SOME of them drive.

Well, SOME applies to Police, Fire, and EMS locally. Each profession has some operators who sometimes let the adrenaline get the better of them.

It's odd, that they NYC TV stations had more on there news than the local newspapers on the web sites.

Weather may have been a factor.

Let's wait, as usual, till all the facts come out and the cops finish the AI. What's important here are a few things. Respond safely, and unfortunately, two lives shattered.

I would just like to clarify, the joke of a newspaper(Times Herald Record) had it wrong, the article said it was a Village of Maybrook Officer that struck the girl, but looking at the picture gallery it stated multiple times that she was struck by a Town of Montgomery Officer. The accident however, involved the Village of Maybrook's Deputy Chief, just the accident occured in and is being investigated by the Town of Montgomery.

I would just like to clarify, the joke of a newspaper(Times Herald Record) had it wrong, the article said it was a Village of Maybrook Officer that struck the girl, but looking at the picture gallery it stated multiple times that she was struck by a Town of Montgomery Officer. The accident however, involved the Village of Maybrook's Deputy Chief, just the accident occured in and is being investigated by the Town of Montgomery.

VERY sad. The officer, whether at fault in some way or not, needs some thoughts and prayers. He did not mean to hurt anyone- quite the opposite. And the news said he was on the job 20 years so he's not some young punk adreneline-junkie. Well, maybe less of one. But still.

First of all, this has got to be horrible to live with. Secondly, weather absolutely played a role! It was raining and apparently the officer hit a puddle just before hitting the pedestrian. Thirdly, what about the pedestrian crossing the street randomly? I saw no crosswalk there...and obviously with a car coming it was unsafe to enter the roadway even if it wasn't a police cruiser. As a driver, I am tired of people just crossing the street when they feel like it. This occurs daily in Yonkers, especially on my way to work. I have nearly hit a number of people but thank the good Lord I haven't! The press keeps saying things about the officer but how about the pedestrians responsibility to make sure it is clear to cross? The road looked straight enough, not like the car came out of nowhere! Prayers for the officer involved...nothing that I would want to live with even though it doesn't appear to be his fault!

and MoFire390...are you kidding me? Cops are trained to drive fast and in emergency situations. They also do it more often due to the job standards. And there aren't more accidents because of training and experience! This could have very well been some blue lighter going to a call, then what would you have to say? Use your head man!

First of all, this has got to be horrible to live with. Secondly, weather absolutely played a role! It was raining and apparently the officer hit a puddle just before hitting the pedestrian. Thirdly, what about the pedestrian crossing the street randomly? I saw no crosswalk there...and obviously with a car coming it was unsafe to enter the roadway even if it wasn't a police cruiser. As a driver, I am tired of people just crossing the street when they feel like it. This occurs daily in Yonkers, especially on my way to work. I have nearly hit a number of people but thank the good Lord I haven't! The press keeps saying things about the officer but how about the pedestrians responsibility to make sure it is clear to cross? The road looked straight enough, not like the car came out of nowhere! Prayers for the officer involved...nothing that I would want to live with even though it doesn't appear to be his fault!

and MoFire390...are you kidding me? Cops are trained to drive fast and in emergency situations. They also do it more often due to the job standards. And there aren't more accidents because of training and experience! This could have very well been some blue lighter going to a call, then what would you have to say? Use your head man!

Its funny you forget to mention thoughts and prayers for the victim of this accident. and yes while they are trained and experienced they're to many times where luck avoided an accident. Being a more alert driver by slowing down especially in places "where you nearly hit a number of people" would be "Using your head".

What color cloths did this person have on, that makes a difference too

But lawsuits will happen and the town will end up paying and the officer may never return.

Life sucks for everybody involved, you could be next (I hope not, just an expression)

Thoughts, Prayers and condolences to the girl's family and friends. May she Rest in Peace. Thoughts and Prayers go out for the Officer involved. May the Officer involved get through this tough time. This is a tragedy no matter how it happened.

Thoughts, Prayers and condolences to the girl's family and friends. May she Rest in Peace. Thoughts and Prayers go out for the Officer involved. May the Officer involved get through this tough time. This is a tragedy no matter how it happened.

This is the most rational post so far on this subject and my condolences go to them as well. It was a tradegy but before jugdement is passed on the cop why not wait untill all the FACTS are presented and not judge based on what you read in the paper.

My thoughts go out to the family of the victim and the officer. What a terrible tragedy for both of them to deal with. Neither will probably ever get fully over it.

Thoughts and prayers of the families and the officer involved . I agree no finger pointing until the facts are out