Followers 0
markmets415

Dover (Dutchess) - Trailer Fire - 10/7/08

32 posts in this topic

post-16297-1223437073.jpg

post-16297-1223437088.jpg

post-16297-1223437097.jpg

photos provided by Dan Killmer

Nice pictures Mark!!! Since Icould not be there (working ) im gald you had a camera.

me either Joe, sent to me by another member, I was at work too

This job was literally in MY back yard......

I was on my couch trying to get my daughter to sleep when the pager went off...at the same time my wife yelled to me that there was something "going on at the neighbors...they're yelling"...by the time I got to window, County had gotten as far as "trailer fire" on the dispatch...we could see the fire through the blinds...we knew the trailer - it is the only trailer in our area, set between some houses.

The fire literally lit up my entire backyard.....I walked to the scene and could see as if it were daytime.....

My wife called 911 to advise them it was a working fire, fully involved and there were exposure problems (one of which was OUR shed; full of my mowers!!).....

The trailer was about 15 x 60, fully involved, vacant.........(it was occupied until 4 weeks ago....I thought the older lady was still inside)

Once 36-13 arrived, we were able to knock it down surprisingly fast with two 1 3/4 lines...the 2.5 was stretched but I don't know if it was used.

All in all - a great job by the Brothers from JHK, with help from Wassaic. 2 kittens were rescued from under the trailer after the fire was knocked down and given a clean bill of health by a local vet.

Edited by x129K

Nice pictures Mark!!! Since Icould not be there (working ) im gald you had a camera.

Was Robin wound right up on the phone? :lol:

Why wasn't Millbrook on the alarm? It is right on Millbrook's border. Anyone know?

Why wasn't Millbrook on the alarm? It is right on Millbrook's border. Anyone know?

Actual fire building is in the Town of Washington/Millbrook Fire District.

Millbrook contracts JHK to cover the area for fire protection, but not EMS. This would make sense, as when i called 911 for an ambulance at my house, I got MFD/NDP, but if my house were to light up, I'd get JHK. (which I am quite thankful for as they are MUCH closer!)

Until last night I thought it was a borderline alarm with Millbrook and Dover on first alarm, much like the Hammond Hill Area.

Actual fire building is in the Town of Washington/Millbrook Fire District.

Millbrook contracts JHK to cover the area for fire protection, but not EMS. This would make sense, as when i called 911 for an ambulance at my house, I got MFD/NDP, but if my house were to light up, I'd get JHK. (which I am quite thankful for as they are MUCH closer!)

Until last night I thought it was a borderline alarm with Millbrook and Dover on first alarm, much like the Hammond Hill Area.

:blink: SURPRISE !!!!

I was coming down Rt.22 from Wassaic when the 2nd alarm tones transmitted, and it was like a parade of lights going north B)

Any word on how it may have started?

Speaking to the owner this morning, appears to be related to the furnace. I do not know the official cause or the determination of the DCFID. FID did a VERY thorough job, very professional.

I do not know the official cause or the determination of the DCFID. FID did a VERY thorough job, very professional.

They always do

They always do

True...but this job was METICULOUS. Strong work.

i know about the MFD/JHK contract agreement. but why didn't 911 put Millbrook on the assignment after mutual aid companies were added? Especially if it is actually in the Town of Washington, as it was. Why add Pawling, Wassaic, and Amenia and not Millbrook.

I guess DC-911 just made a blunder.

dc911 dispatched the 2nd alarm assignment as per the CAD system which was a predetermined assignment. Questions should be directed to the Dover brass from the Millbrook brass and not for us here to set back and debate or question, plain and simple. Sorry for being frank but this type of questioning in an open forum such as this will only cause friction for the two depts. As stated; let the Chiefs handle it.

Also dc911 cannot just add M/A equipment to an assignment, it has to be requested by command.

There was a call not long in a one of our surrounding M/A dept areas and one of our officers responded to assist and arrived on scene first and requested our tanker to the scene and the request was denied by dispatch because the request had to come from the "host dept" as we were not dispatched.

Edited by markmets415

They did not.

As Mark stated, they followed the CAD assignment. If you are not familiar with CAD, all of the alarm assignments for the entire county, and probably other areas are there, fingertips away. The dispacthers do not decide who to send, it is all pre set and entered into CAD.

you guys know more than me about it, but i was just confused. while i agree i would like to have the closest FD dispatched to my house if it was on fire like JHK does for your house even though you live in Millbrook, i would have just assumed Millbrook would have been on the CAD assignment, especially since if there wasn't the agreement with JHK, it would have been Millbrook's call.

thanx for the info though

you guys know more than me about it, but i was just confused. while i agree i would like to have the closest FD dispatched to my house if it was on fire like JHK does for your house even though you live in Millbrook, i would have just assumed Millbrook would have been on the CAD assignment, especially since if there wasn't the agreement with JHK, it would have been Millbrook's call.

thanx for the info though

All I will comment about is the fact that Wassaic is the closet M/A company to that area and they were the only one that actually were on the scene with Dover, Amenia went to Dover Station 1 and Pawling went to Dover Station 2.

I was just email some pics of this fire;

364.jpg

361.jpg

362.jpg

363.jpg

Edited by x129K

366.jpg

367.jpg

2 Kittens were found under the trailer after it was knocked down and removed to the vet. They were returned to the scene with a clear bill of health.

368.jpg

369.jpg

great b/w pics Dan.

post-16656-1226870815.jpgHere are the updated photos of the two kittens saved at the trailer fire in Dover.

post-16656-1226870831.jpg

post-16656-1226870815.jpgHere are the updated photos of the two kittens saved at the trailer fire in Dover.

These are the kittens that were rescued at the trailer fire in Dover last month, they both found homes with rescue squad member of JHK, great job to all that aided in their care after the fire.

Kitty on the left has a battle scar on the nose. Oops Bob I didn't see the note to the right of your pics, hey that's my truck behind Carol over her left shoulder.

Edited by markmets415

Thanks for the support guys !!! Dan some of those pictures have scary characters in them

Was Robin wound right up on the phone? :lol:

No she was pretty calm not sure if she getting used to calling 911 or just a great call taker on the other end (just kidding)

Dan some of those pictures have scary characters in them

Joe that would be an understatement

i know about the MFD/JHK contract agreement. but why didn't 911 put Millbrook on the assignment after mutual aid companies were added? Especially if it is actually in the Town of Washington, as it was. Why add Pawling, Wassaic, and Amenia and not Millbrook.

Why is it always dc911 fault?

Why is it always dc911 fault?

Myself and x129x got this one straightened out already

Yeah i know thanks again for the support