Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joetnymedic

Unique way to promote smoke detectors and fire safety

12 posts in this topic

Katonah firefighters respond not just to 911 calls, but pizza calls

By Sean Gorman • The Journal News • October 10, 2008

BEDFORD - Some pizza customers in the Katonah Fire District are getting a surprise reminder about the importance of smoke detectors.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20081010/NEWS02/810100414

Edited by xfirefighter484x
To Conform to Forum Policies on Quoting Online Articles

Wow, excellent idea, kudos to the Katonah members for thinking of something different. Surely a special delivery.

Wow, this is a really good idea. I really like how the community, business and the fire department rallied together for fire saftey and prevention. I am sure that this could be used else where.

I read this article in the news this morning and thought it is a terrific idea.

Great PR for the hardware store, the restaurant and great PR for KFD.

Kudos for pulling everyone together! If it just saves one life it is well worth it !

Even though it reached only a few households, I hope the PR has raised awareness so that everyone will check their own detectors, or contact their local experts to ensure their family and homes are safe.

What a way for the community to get to know KFD. Great job !

I have seen this idea mentioned in various publications before. If I remember correctly, Domino's Pizza participates as a national program.

"An estimated 890 lives could be saved each year if all homes had working smoke alarms. As part of the campaign, customers who order from participating Domino's Pizza stores during National Fire Prevention Week and throughout the entire month of October, may be surprised when their delivery arrives aboard a fire engine. If all the smoke alarms in the home are working, the pizza is free. If a smoke alarm is not working, the firefighters will replace the batteries and/or smoke alarm and leave the home with a fully functioning fire safety device. All deliveries made aboard a fire engine will come with a free sample of Domino's new Oven Baked Sandwiches, which launch nationally on Sept. 22, and fire safety tips, courtesy of NFPA. "

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/domi...D&dist=hppr

Fire Prevention is more then going to the schools with an engine once a year.Congratualtions to KFD for thiking outside the box!

Edited by EJS1810

good find EJ thanks for the info.

I've heard of some department doing this years ago, I can't think for the life of me who it was. Regardless, it's a great PR move and great way to spread the word on fire prevention. Even though the elementary kids may learn about it every year this time, this brings the word right at home to the adults.

I've never heard about this being done until this artivle but that is a really cool idea like everyone else is saying way to be creative and save lives at the same time .

Wow. 1st you guys have these red metal things in the ground that produce copious amounts of water for firefighting and now someone comes and delivers your pizza? I really do live in the sticks