Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tapout

Westchester/Putnam E.D. Survey

12 posts in this topic

After a 10 yr absence I am headed back to the local E.D. bedside as an RN (been there, done that--- at WCMC, Sound Shore & Mt. Vernon E.D.'s). After so long away (and locked inside an office) I am completely out of touch with the good, bad and ugly E.D.'s in my 'hood. I live in Putnam but work in Westchester, so either would be fine.

Please, all EMS and even a few P.O.'s... enlighten an old but still buffy and trauma-addicted nurse on the BEST and WORST E.D's around. And of course tell me why you choose best or worst.

Thanks in advance!

Not even ONE response? SERIOUSLY??!! I'm looking for honest responses here... if you hate the nurses and/or MD's in one particular E.D., TELL ME so I don't go and work there!!! I really need BRUTAL HONESTY here, guys and girls. Help me out so I know where to work.

No one knows better than EMT's and medics who the biotch nurses and dumbass MD's work... if you tell me where they are, I'll be so much better prepared and so much better enlightened on where to send my resume.

And for the record, being that I took so many drunken, drugged and just plain stupid low IQ a-holes off your hands in the E.D.'s I've worked in over all my years, repaying those favors with nothing but an honest opinion is the VERY least you could do, right?

It's difficult to label an entire ER. I personally deal pretty much with only Hudson Valley, Westchester Medical, and occasionally Phelps. Each facility has some great, pro-EMS/LE staff who bend over backwards for you, and other staff who literally wouldn't give you the time of day, no matter how long you stood there.

Not in Westchester or Putnam, but still in the Hudson Valley. Stay away from St. Lukes Hosp. in Newburgh. They don't care about EMS since the average wait time is about 30 minutes when I rode with Alamo and Beacon VAC with empty beds available. But again, you can work there and try to change that. :rolleyes:

Not in Westchester or Putnam, but still in the Hudson Valley. Stay away from St. Lukes Hosp. in Newburgh. They don't care about EMS since the average wait time is about 30 minutes when I rode with Alamo and Beacon VAC with empty beds available. But again, you can work there and try to change that. :rolleyes:

Well, I have literally brought thousands of patients into St. Luke's Newburgh with 4 different agencies and I can say I've NEVER waited 30 minutes to get a bed and give report. There may be a bit of a wait sometimes and I'm sure they seem slower than say Vassar, but they are also working with a lot less staff in a very busy emergency department. While I've found the occasional staff member that I rubs me the wrong way, I've never had a problem with getting the needed help in an emergent situation. By the same token, they are very appreciative of EMS crews that work with them instead of against them. If I have a patient that can wait and I have nothing better to do than go back to the station and write on EMTBravo, I'll help them discharge a patient, make a bed, etc. etc. and I'll tell them that I can wait if it will help them out.

To the original poster, I don't think anyone would go on a message board and say the ED in hospital A stinks. Most of us have to work with them on a daily basis and since we are far from anonymous on EMTBravo, it may even put our job in jeopardy. Every facility I've ever visited has had some staff that were more into working with EMS crews and some that see EMS as a nuisance. Every facility has staff having good and bad days. I'm sure the same can be said for the EMS crews bringing patients in too; I know I've had my VERY bad days.

I transport to HVHC, Putnam, Phelps and WMC. For trauma, the choice is obvious. WMC is far and away the best prepared to handle trauma and if that is your addiction, go there. Both Phelps and WMC have close to 0 time to patient contact and seldom go on diversion, that said, txp to WMC for me means a patient is in distress so my experience may be skewed. I've never taken serious trauma to Phelps.

HVHC has the advantage of having been an excellent level 2 several years ago, so the staff is prepared handle it and the times I've needed to use HVHC for more serious trauma they've been first rate.

Putnam Hospital won't handle any trauma at all and actively presses EMS to go to Danbury with routine injuries. That said, with Danbury just to the East, much better care is just one state away, so the may have a point.

Why not put Danbury on your list if trauma is your interest?

All of your posts are outstanding and more helpful than you probably realize. My apologies for not realizing ahead of time that posting negative comments here might "jam you up" with supervisors and the like. That was never my intent.

That said, based on your input, I think I'll head for Hudson Valley just to get back into the swing... then I'll head back to WCMC for the trauma-craziness I seem to still need regular fixes of. Then, in a few years, when my clan moves north to CT, I'll check out Danbury. Isn't Bridgeport Hosp. Level I?

Again, I appreciate all of the responses. When I was at WCMC back in the day, our ED was rated (by guys like all of you) the meanest, crankiest, least willing to help EMS/cops/fire/whatever. I hated that kind of staff- they never had my back, were burnt out and told me regulary I smiled too much. :blink: Huh? I just don't want to fall back into the same group of evil old biddies. Life's too damn short to be like that or hang with people like that.

Stay safe and see you around. I'll be the one you'll smiling stupidly 'cause I'm so happy to be back in the ED and I actually love my job... :D

Well with my agency I routinely go to Vassar and St. Francis. I know the staff pretty well in both places since I had to do my clinical rotations in both ER's. For cardiac, pediatric and general medical calls I prefer Vassar the staff there try hard to be attentive even when they are pressed with an extremely busy day. St's is good for trauma and psyche, they also are friendly and helpful. To say St. Luke's is by far my least favorite place to go would be stetching it.......unless you wear a certain uniform you could stand forever waiting not for a bed assignment but just plain and simple acknowledgement that I am standing there.....to get them to answer the county radio to give report again is often futile.......as a RN I am appalled at their apparent lack of teamwork when a EMS unit arrives....my former partner threatened to put duct tape over my mouth one busy night when we arrived with CPR in progress and was made to wait while they gave the last bed to another unit from another agency with a non threatening emergency. Putnam Hospital is OK, Sharon and Kingston with my limited contact was fine. WCMC is OK, Mt Vermin sucks, hope wherever you decide you can enlighten the ER staff to the role of EMS and hope you enjoy your new re entry into ED life......best wishes

St's [st. Francis] is good for trauma and psyche, they also are friendly and helpful.

Lol, we're just SO privileged to handle all those psychs!!

unless you wear a certain uniform you could stand forever waiting not for a bed assignment but just plain and simple acknowledgement that I am standing there.....to get them to answer the county radio to give report again is often futile.......as a RN I am appalled at their apparent lack of teamwork when a EMS unit arrives

I'm pretty sure we all get this in facilities that are not familiar with us. I remember working for Mobile Life as a young EMT asking myself what the problem was with the Vassar staff when we brought the occasional patient there. Now that they are familiar with me and most know me by name and vice-versa, Vassar is one of my favorite facilities to bring patients to.

I have never had those kind of issues in St. Luke's, as a volunteer or with Mobile Life or Sloper (RIP) back in the day. Again, I'm sure some of that comes with familiarity. I brought a patient there tonight and was greeted right away and given a bed (for a patient who could have waited).

After a 10 yr absence I am headed back to the local E.D. bedside as an RN (been there, done that--- at WCMC, Sound Shore & Mt. Vernon E.D.'s). After so long away (and locked inside an office) I am completely out of touch with the good, bad and ugly E.D.'s in my 'hood. I live in Putnam but work in Westchester, so either would be fine.

Please, all EMS and even a few P.O.'s... enlighten an old but still buffy and trauma-addicted nurse on the BEST and WORST E.D's around. And of course tell me why you choose best or worst.

Thanks in advance!

I don't remember any problems with WCMC other than occasional scarcasm from certain nurses who back in the day were overworked. Phelps was always good. Nurses there were second to none.

I don't remember any problems with WCMC other than occasional sarcasm from certain nurses who back in the day were overworked. Phelps was always good. Nurses there were second to none.

Sarcasm is REQUIRED to survive in any environment like that. And being overworked is a given-- but it doesn't give you license to be mean and cranky to both patients AND fellow staff. But that was then- I'm sure it's better now.

And yes, Phelps is far and above top notch for RN and MD care- they saved me from certain sepsis and probable death (I ruptured my app and kept it secret for 3 days 'cause I hate MD's-LOL). You know when you just look at someone and know they're about to tank even though they look "fine" and are not complaining? Well, I had that look rather than saw it- they saw it, knew it and insisted on it despite normal numbers and an atypical presentation. They got me to surgery about 5 hours later. Outstanding is THE understatement of the year for that staff.

Phelps was always good. Nurses there were second to none.

That would be my Mom...but not anymore, she retired to North Carolina...but she would appreciate that!

St. John's Hospital in Yonkers is hiring, and is a busy ED. They also have a new ER nursing director who seems to be very progressive. Might wanna check it out, they are most likely hiring since my wife is going back this week from maternity to see the other 3 pregnant nurses!