Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Poughkeepsie Firefighters Save Landmark Post Office

41 posts in this topic

400356422_pXc7Q-X2.jpg

It was quite the hike to the bell tower......

400356969_KsXNb-XL.jpg

Crews with "Cans" prepare to go up to the Bell Tower via the narrow interior stairwell.....

400357240_nkbpQ-XL.jpg

Chief Decker gives the info to a reporter as the Postmaster (Right) watches the operation.

400357424_zfM2f-XL.jpg

Firefighters train their hose line on the cupola atop the Bell Tower which proved to be a PITA for firefighters as their was no easy access....

400357450_A5pzC-XL.jpg

Mission completed..... Firefighters descend from the Bell Tower.......

Edited by Photounit

Excellent photos guys, not a scene you come across every day. Looks like repair work will take a little longer now.

Excellent Photos, Guys!!!! Thanks for Sharing!!!!!!!!

More great photos!

I guess the fire made stripping the paint a little easier.

I bet it was easy to drain the water out of the hose that was up there

Excellent shots and looks like a good job by PFD once again

Excellent job everyone. Perhaps now the City will rethink it's decision to cut four frefighters from our budget.

Local 596 didn't the City layoff FF's back in the late 70's esrly 80's? Are the cuts going to be through attrition?

Local 596 didn't the City layoff FF's back in the late 70's esrly 80's? Are the cuts going to be through attrition?

I have no exact knowledge of the layoffs that occured in the past. The four layoffs that I am referring to involve the proposed budget for 2009. We are currently short four firefighters in our department and rather than hire replacements, the city has decided to remove those positions. We are working hard to get those positions back and it's my hope that an incident like this, so close to City Hall, would prove our worth and then some.

Edited by Local596Secretary

Dont hold your breath and think that a fire in a building occupied by a Federal agency is going to change anything. It will be forgotten about next week. Unfortunately someone has to get killed before they realize the importance of having enough men on the rig on the initial alarm.

Nice! Pics are up on local596.com. Site looks good Scott. :D