Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SWS1

Newtown, CT PD- 2008 Dodge Charger Traffic Enforcement Unit

20 posts in this topic

The Newtown (CT) Police Department, recently took delivery of a 2008 Dodge Charger, an unmarked Traffic Enforcement Unit. In conjunction with a second officer on a Harley Davidson motorcycle, the NPD is focusing on strict enforcement of existing traffic and quality of life laws.

The primary requirement was a discreet vehicle but highly visible when needed for vehicle stops, emergency response and officer safety. To meet this requirement Specialty Warning Systems incorporated an all Whelen LED package including front & rear Inner Edge interior lightbars, four red/blue LIN4s in the front grill and two round TIR6 LEDs in the lower fog light positions. Red & blue Inner Beams at the lower corners of the front windshield afford additional angled lighting to both sides. Two TIR3 LEDs in each rear side window provide side lighting while two more red/blue LIN4s mounted on either side of the license plate and two white HideAway LEDs in the backup light housings supplement the rear facing lighting. The OEM headlight and taillight flashers were also utilized in the overall system.

A Havis-Shields Charger console contains the department radio, Whelen SLSA6 system controller, dual power outlets, cup holder, storage box and side mount armrest. A Panasonic Toughbooks laptop and Mag Lite handlight are mounted externally on the console. Rear electronics utilize a Havis fold up trunk tray to retain as much of the available trunk space as possible.

Early reports indicate the vehicle has been highly successful in its goal and has garnered a great deal of interest and positive feedback from the public, other motorists and it's (unfortunate) targets.

Specialty Warning Systems wishes to extend it's appreciation to the Newtown Police Department for it's continued confidence in us to provide all required installation and repair services. Click the link below to view a video of the new Charger on YouTube.

post-7323-1225633459.jpg

post-7323-1225633470.jpg

post-7323-1225633478.jpg

post-7323-1225633489.jpg

post-7323-1225633510.jpg

post-7323-1225633520.jpg

post-7323-1225633536.jpg

post-7323-1225633550.jpg

post-7323-1225633563.jpg

Guess I'll have to look out for this on Rt. 34 when I'm on my way to and from school. Nice car...

Nice set-up...... I would have Photoshoped the plate to read "Mo-Money" though for all the revenue this car will generate..........

Maybe it already does, and he air-brushed it out? :D

Now if this car was in black and some one got pulled over by it they would $*** their plants. I know I would. Nice car, it looks sick and the front light package is in a work scary.

Very sharp looking car, definitely like the TIR6 foglights. Good Luck with it Newtown, and another great job by Specialty Warning.

Nice car!!!!! Good luck with it!!! May it help collect lots of fines!!!!LOLBut seriously, may it create a great safety net for those officers who operate it!!! Great job, Specialty Warning Systems!!!

Wow, very impressive, and excellent use of space for lighting. They get an A+ for visibility. That has to be the greatest part of LEDs, they truly revolutionized how unmarked patrols get set up.

And how people get caught speeding........these unmarked chargers are everywhere. Once you see you know where to look for the lights and you look there everytime, I can see an unmarked from a mile a way just based on whether it is a Crown Vic, Tahoe, Charger or Impala, its tints and by looking on the dash or the grill.

If you really want to make a good unmarked traffic/speeding unit, get a nice, new BMW, no upgrades or anything, put one red light, a siren and radar in it and send it down the street to get people....it will cost the same as a charger with police package and custom set up but be a lot less obvious.

No one would think a BMW is a cop car but when they see a charger with those door spot lights and a push bumper they can tell it is a cop.

Edited by bvfdjc316

Yeah, and they're always black or white. If they put out an unmarked without the spotlight, that didn't have a push bar, and was red or blue or grey or something like that, it would probably be more effective. But again, that is a great looking car, great job!

In the video is that satelite radio to the left of the laptop?

yeah that's what it looks like.

And how people get caught speeding........these unmarked chargers are everywhere. Once you see you know where to look for the lights and you look there everytime, I can see an unmarked from a mile a way just based on whether it is a Crown Vic, Tahoe, Charger or Impala, its tints and by looking on the dash or the grill.

If you really want to make a good unmarked traffic/speeding unit, get a nice, new BMW, no upgrades or anything, put one red light, a siren and radar in it and send it down the street to get people....it will cost the same as a charger with police package and custom set up but be a lot less obvious.

No one would think a BMW is a cop car but when they see a charger with those door spot lights and a push bumper they can tell it is a cop.

When I was rolling down I95, I noticed a whole slew of random vehicles MSP was using for highway patrol. They included a blue ~04 Mustang GT, fully decked out, and also another was a light beige Grand Marq with soft top style roof. Sneaky sneaky.

I don't know about you but when I'm driving I'm not paying attention to the vehicle types. I would be more concern with the road instead of where the officers are hiding.

Bad news guys, if you can see the car he's all ready nailed you.

Nice car and photos! Thanks for sharing, especially the lighting.

-Joe DA BUFF, who rather likes the new Charger after he got to drive one in Toronto!

In the one picture the bottom led was not working or was that an illusion that i saw

It's OK, the LIN4's on the grille could have been hidden better or simply eliminated. Sure for small town V&T it's nice, but if someone tries stopping me on some backwoods road (like in Newtown), I would call 911 before stopping to make sure it wasn't some wannabe. :blink: