Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryefd192

Rye police officers push to carry Taser stun guns

14 posts in this topic

Rye police officers push to carry Taser stun guns

By Theresa Juva

The Journal News • November 3, 2008

RYE - The police union wants officers to be able to carry Taser stun guns, after two members were injured while trying to subdue a burglary suspect.

Click Here For Entire Story

Interesting divide in the stance of the commissioner and the officers. Also, find it interesting that a neighboring department commented on the matter.

I am actually surprised they do not carry them already. I can not think of very many if any police forces in Westchester or up here in Vermont that do not equip each officer with a taser.

Doesn't it make sense for an officer to have every tool in his arsenal ready to defend himself, especially if it is non-lethal. There are also cases of officers using tasers to subdue and stop animal attacks. I remember a video of a LAPD officer shooting a taser at a dog at subduing a dog that was about to attack the officer.

I am actually surprised they do not carry them already. I can not think of very many if any police forces in Westchester or up here in Vermont that do not equip each officer with a taser.

Doesn't it make sense for an officer to have every tool in his arsenal ready to defend himself, especially if it is non-lethal. There are also cases of officers using tasers to subdue and stop animal attacks. I remember a video of a LAPD officer shooting a taser at a dog at subduing a dog that was about to attack the officer.

Yorktown Police do not carry tasers...it would have a horrible side effect with the pepper spray that they use

Tasers are a great Law Enforcement tool... One of the problems is that in many departments you have old school bosses making the policies and they tend to not be forward thinking. I say issue tasers to all cops, anything that can keep us safer shold be any departments main concern

Just a bit of info for those who dont know. The commissioner is an RETIRED- NYPD officer (maybe Detective). I am not taking sides in this matter, just making a point that at some time in his life he had experience.

Just a bit of info for those who dont know. The commissioner is an RETIRED- NYPD officer (maybe Detective). I am not taking sides in this matter, just making a point that at some time in his life he had experience.

The Commissioner is a retired Inspector. But like all new tools, it takes time for the old guard to let them in. Like the Side-handled or expandable Baton or Mace and Pepper spray.

Too bad it's a great tool. Too much can happen when you have to wait for someone to relieve the Sgt from the desk and then respond to the scene with the Taser.

I dont understand why the Sargeant is at the desk on the radio. I think he should have a desk offcer so he can be on patrol or leave if necessary

Doesn't it make sense for an officer to have every tool in his arsenal ready to defend himself, especially if it is non-lethal.

Be very careful. Tasers are not NON-lethal. They are less lethal. This doesn't mean they shouldn't be readily available, but people need to be remember that Tasers are not harmless.

Yorktown Police do not carry tasers...it would have a horrible side effect with the pepper spray that they use

There are no side effects between a Taser and OC.

Unless you count a ruined day a side effect :P

No reason why they should not have tasers.

unless your spray contains alcohol, which I have been told it does by a PO there

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/l...ay-With-Tasers/

Fire is a Possibility When Using Alcohol-Based Pepper Spray With Tasers

PoliceOne cautions law enforcement to be aware of the possibility of fire when using alcohol-based pepper spray in conjunction with Tasers.

PoliceOne recommends that departments that are using Tasers review the type of pepper spray they are using, and to contact either Taser or the pepper spray manufacturer with any questions.

"There is a potential chance for alcohol-based spray igniting," said Sgt. Herbert Ashford, a Dallas defense tactics supervisor who teaches new officers how to use pepper spray. "It''s a small chance, but it''s a possibility."

Because of this small possibility, the Dallas Police Department has ordered $13,000 worth of new pepper spray after commanders determined that their current mixture might burst into flames when used with the electric stun guns officers soon will be using.

Actual Scientific Study

http://www.policeone.com/less-lethal/articles/128036/

"Electronic control device safe": Can you trust the label?

By: Officer Chris Myers; Forensic Scientist Rick Wyant; Officer Tom Burns

Forensic testing of chemical agents with electronic control devices

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Thats as much of a risk as cell phone sparking fires at the fuel pump.

To get back to the point. I'm not really sure what the procedure of calling the supervisor is. It sounds to me as if you (as a RPD officer) are supposed to wait 5 to 10 minutes for a Taser while wrestling with or even chasing a suspect; and in the latter instance, is a supervisor supposed to start running after you with the Taser?

Taser Guns are a very useful tool for Police Officers that come with a lot of

controversy as did Pepper Spray and the PR24 several years back.

Once the "Smoke" clears I am sure you will see more and more

Police Officers carrying Taser Guns.

Remember a Taser Gun is a Non Lethal Weapon.

Why do people make such a big deal about it?

How come you don't hear complaints when a Police Department goes from

9MM Firearm to a 40 or 45? Don't forget the Shotgun, AR-15, or MP-5

Give Police Officers the tools they need to do the job and

remain SAFE on the street!