Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SWS1

Beekman (NY) New 3468- 2008 Chevrolet Express Van

17 posts in this topic

The Beekman NY Fire District, in Dutchess County, took delivery of their new Chevy Express van recently. 3468 will function as a transport, utility and support vehicle.

The warning system is Whelen LED based, including a 55 inch Freedom FX Super LED lightbar with alley and takedown lights, two red 500 series LIN6 LEDs in the front grille and eight head linear LED Traffic Advisor installed above the rear cargo doors. A Whelen 295SLSA6 controller with single 100 watt siren speaker completes the overall system.

The front console is an 18 inch Havis-Shields that's extended in height to accommodate the van application. It contains the department radio, Whelen controller, Traffic Advisor control head and nine inch storage compartment.

A full reflective graphics package, including redesigned department seal, finishes the exterior.

Specialty Warning Systems would like to thank the Beekman Fire District for their confidence in us and we look forward to working with them again in the future on other projects.

post-7323-1227362015.jpg

post-7323-1227362022.jpg

post-7323-1227362027.jpg

post-7323-1227362039.jpg

post-7323-1227362049.jpg

post-7323-1227362054.jpg

Is there something in the back of this vehicle that makes it a fire apparatus? It looks to me like it's just a van. With the lighting package, it looks like it could be set up as a really nice fire police van.

It does not appear that any sort of cabinets in the back if that is what you are asking. It appears that this van is used as a man and materials transporter, similar to any actual bus that any other fire department has for these tasks. Yonkers, White Plains, Somers, Scarsdale, Port Chester, Montrose, Fairview or Eastchester have apparatus similar in concept to this it appears.

Just seems like an awful big expenditure for a transport vehicle. Why put a $3000 light package into a van that is going to be used to bring coffee to fires or students to classes? I can't talk much because my district has a vehicle that is basically a transport, but it is outfitted for use by fire police if needed. Also, it was a used chief's vehicle, not a new expenditure.

Just seems like an awful big expenditure for a transport vehicle. Why put a $3000 light package into a van that is going to be used to bring coffee to fires or students to classes? I can't talk much because my district has a vehicle that is basically a transport, but it is outfitted for use by fire police if needed. Also, it was a used chief's vehicle, not a new expenditure.

Well, maybe they will allow the fire police to use this vehicle as well. 34-67 has definately seen better days...

Ahh I get it that must be 34-1's new chiefs car..... luv ya SB

This is replacing an old Chief's Car which became a staff vehicle (34-68), 1998 Ford Expedition with 100k on the odometer.

The PUC (2009 Pierce) will replace 34-12 which will become 34-13 and old 34-13 will be sold off.

34-52 (old Millbrook 49-51) will become 34-67 and old 34-67 will be sold to Beekman Highway for a mechanics truck.

The next truck to be replaced will be the old Millbrook Rescue truck (34-52, soon to become 67).

The van is primarily for firefighter transport to class and drills but the District set it up for me so it can be used for storm events, mutual aid and so forth.

As for a new Chief's vehicle; no thank you. 41 you can sit in the back though. Just put your helmet on and no licking the windows! lol Love you too.

Nice rig, good luck with it!!!

post-7323-1227362022.jpg

post-7323-1227362027.jpg

SWS1, just FYI, you blanked out the license plate in the top picture, but no in the shot of the rear.

Shawn, good luck with it. I know you and the Beekman Boys will put it to good use!!

(and yes, Beekman Ladies too!)

Very nice looking van! Looks clean and very functional.

One question, why blank out the plate numbers?

Nice van, I guess you couldn't get it in silver? :P

This is replacing an old Chief's Car which became a staff vehicle (34-68), 1998 Ford Expedition with 100k on the odometer.

The PUC (2009 Pierce) will replace 34-12 which will become 34-13 and old 34-13 will be sold off.

34-52 (old Millbrook 49-51) will become 34-67 and old 34-67 will be sold to Beekman Highway for a mechanics truck.

The next truck to be replaced will be the old Millbrook Rescue truck (34-52, soon to become 67).

I got it, umm I think

Good choice to add the lights and radios, you never know when you may need it as 34-1 states, it can be used in many different situations. Nice simple design, well done.

Nice van, I guess you couldn't get it in silver? :P

haha we have new commissioners who dont play pin the tail on the color chart.

and on a side note, if any departments are looking to outfit staff vehicles or command vehicles, these guys do a spectacular job and for a reasonable price. They are located about 5 minutes from the Danbury mall right off I-84. This was Beekmans first SWS vehicle and wont be the last.

We generally blank out the plates as a courtesy to the particular agency. Usually I'm very conscious of doing this, but as several posters have brought to my attention, I missed on this one. My apologies to the Beekman Boys.....just makes me want to monitor myself that much more.

We very much appreciate the positive feedback and compliments we seem to get on the forums......we maintain a small operation specifically to preserve the agency specific attention that we feel is vitally important, more so today than ever before. During our "fact finding" prior to commencing operations, the lack of attention to detail and pride in the finished product stuck out as one of the more prevalant flaws in many vehicle conversions being done today. We deemed this to be one of our foremost priorities and have tried to maintain, and improve this commitment since then. We hope we have met our goal for each and every vehicle that leaves our doors.

To this end, we monitor these forums very closely to make sure we're meeting our responsibilities, and we encourage the feedback, good or bad.

Thanks again for the ongoing support from all three NYS counties and back here in CT.

As an FYI to all........we're now a Streamlight and Mag Lite dealer and are in the final stages of receiving our certification as a Mag Lite factory repair center........we're hoping to achieve the same for Streamlight in the very near future. In the interim, we maintain a significant stock of repair parts for both lines and would be happy to quote any upcoming purchases.

SWS1

Why can I already visualize this van sitting in the C.P.V.A. parking lot? :lol:

Is there something in the back of this vehicle that makes it a fire apparatus? It looks to me like it's just a van. With the lighting package, it looks like it could be set up as a really nice fire police van.

It is big enough for Asst. Chief Rayburn!!!! He has to be out growing his Suburban.

No apologies are necessary as it is a District vehicle. It will come back to 316 Beekman-Poughquag Road in Poughquag, NY. I'd only concerned about blocking out personal license plates as they can identify victims.

On a side note, the 98 Expedition has been officially retired from the Beekman Fire District and is going to be surplused.

The Suburbans are actually "silver birch" which looks brown or slightly silver depending on the light and how you look at them.