Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Ford Crown Vic: Room For Improvment?

18 posts in this topic

I'm just pondering about the Ford Crown Vic. It really is a workhorse car, fleet departments have grown used to them and ammassed spare parts, and they're easy to "swapover" when the vehicle is taken out of service.

In my opinion, it still looks good, but could probaly look a little bolder and more modern. Also, it probaly could be outfitted with a new drivetrain for better fuel economy.

Does anyone know if Ford plans on updating the Crown Vic anytime soon? I've heard the stories, seen the concepts, but last I heard nothing until 2011.

But, is change really needed for the Crown Vic?

But, is change really needed for the Crown Vic?

How about this concept: What will be the work horse if/when the big 3 go down, Honda?

How about this concept: What will be the work horse if/when the big 3 go down, Honda?

Subaru_police_car.JPG

I'm thinking the police would do well with Subaru's... or maybe...

dscd0047it6.jpg

I like the Subaru Patrol car idea, but i don't think it will stand up to the daily beating it would get. And WTH is that little thing?? It's an "I wish I were A real car".... lol

Isn't that little car a when I grow up I want to be a big car-car? I can actually see the thing speeding and taking a turn and flipping like something from the old benny hill show.

Edited by joetnymedic

I'm thinking the police would do well with Subaru's... or maybe...

dscd0047it6.jpg

I think our PD has bigger bicycles. or they can cruse around on a Segway.

I think at this rate were all gonna be driving power wheels. At least they make one with lights on it already lol.

untitled.bmp

Edited by uvfd67

You really think that the united states government is going to let that happen? let me ask you some thing what are cars made out of? steel, which is one of our biggest resorces in this country and if the government lets them dwindle to nothing our economy will go with it because our autos are a big export and do make us alot of money overseas, especially in the municipal fields. You dont think that the ricer companys are feeling this as well? They had to lay off many factory workers too. The economy will get better eventually and if you dont believe me look at the stock market crash and the depression we pulled through those and we will pull through this as well. Maybe obama has a couple of good ideas, I didn't vote for him but hey anythings possible.

You really think that the united states government is going to let that happen? let me ask you some thing what are cars made out of? steel, which is one of our biggest resorces in this country and if the government lets them dwindle to nothing our economy will go with it because our autos are a big export and do make us alot of money overseas, especially in the municipal fields. You dont think that the ricer companys are feeling this as well? They had to lay off many factory workers too. The economy will get better eventually and if you dont believe me look at the stock market crash and the depression we pulled through those and we will pull through this as well. Maybe obama has a couple of good ideas, I didn't vote for him but hey anythings possible.

Glad you are so optimistic.

1) We dont know if the government will bail out the big 3.

2) Many "experts" have said if they are "bailed out", they will still go under, it will just take a few additional years and cost us billions.

3) Even if they pull thru, they may no longer be interested in the municipal market. Before you were born the most popular cop cars was the plymouth grand fury & the chevy impala. Everyond scrambled and went with the Ford when GM & Crysler stopped making those fleet cars (chevy came back a few years later).

The municipal market is not as great as you think. Most municipal cars are purchased on state contract which averages 30% below sticker price. Its such a "great" market that the majority of vehicles are sold by 3 car dealers for the whole state of NY. We just purchased a new ford F350 pickup and the only dealer in NYS is Van Bortal Ford in Rochester. I believe that the dealer makes less than $100 per vehicle (but does get some form of a credit back from the manufacture).

The US Auto industry made 15 million+ cars in 2007 (last yr of data) with 1.5 million exported. Info was from the US Commerce Dept.

Interesting note CNN reports these are the totals for 2007:

General Motors - 315,870 vehicles.

Ford Motor - 195,245 vehicles

DaimlerChrysler 156,314 vehicles

Total 667,429 vehicles

Big difference between 667,429 and 15,000,000+

CNN also noted that as of 8/1/2007 U.S. Big 3 Auto Sales dropped to 48.1% of the total market.

Impreza police cars have been around since the early 90's(when the impreza was first introduced) They tend to Use the wrxsti over the base model for the additional power and better handling.They still the retain the 2.0 liter turbo in non us countries where as we use the 2.5 liter turbo so they automatically have an edge with better fuel economy AND their 2 liter turbo makes more power than our 2.5 liter turbo ha. It will def hold up to the beating, BUT IMHO its just not big enough/ heavy enough. / rant of useless info :)

Edited by 99subi

Glad you are so optimistic.

1) We dont know if the government will bail out the big 3.

2) Many "experts" have said if they are "bailed out", they will still go under, it will just take a few additional years and cost us billions.

3) Even if they pull thru, they may no longer be interested in the municipal market. Before you were born the most popular cop cars was the plymouth grand fury & the chevy impala. Everyond scrambled and went with the Ford when GM & Crysler stopped making those fleet cars (chevy came back a few years later).

The municipal market is not as great as you think. Most municipal cars are purchased on state contract which averages 30% below sticker price. Its such a "great" market that the majority of vehicles are sold by 3 car dealers for the whole state of NY. We just purchased a new ford F350 pickup and the only dealer in NYS is Van Bortal Ford in Rochester. I believe that the dealer makes less than $100 per vehicle (but does get some form of a credit back from the manufacture).

The US Auto industry made 15 million+ cars in 2007 (last yr of data) with 1.5 million exported. Info was from the US Commerce Dept.

Interesting note CNN reports these are the totals for 2007:

General Motors - 315,870 vehicles.

Ford Motor - 195,245 vehicles

DaimlerChrysler 156,314 vehicles

Total 667,429 vehicles

Big difference between 667,429 and 15,000,000+

CNN also noted that as of 8/1/2007 U.S. Big 3 Auto Sales dropped to 48.1% of the total market.

I bet you are one of these people who run around and say ''the world is coming to an end'' and ''we are in the worst economic depression in history''! Just one question, how did the USA make it through other tough times with all its big buissinesses still intact? Didn't hear ya say anything about what is going on with the japanese companies? Like I said before they are feeling it just as bad and if the government does let as you say the big 3 go down than expect to pay $40000+ for a honda civic because then the japanese companies know that they got us, ''where else you gonna go'' and our economy will be shot to hell all over again. Everyone tells me that toyotas are more american built than any other car company. If that is true than I guess that they are going to go under as well with all that ''american backing''. So I guess in 10 years when everything is all said and done and detroit is closed up and toyota does not make any money here and goes back to japan only, to sell vehicles, the only vehicles that will be here are nissian and honda. Well at least I will be able to outrun the cops in my fine american ford 5.0L! I'M done with you say whatever you'd like.

Edited by stephen morea

I bet you are one of these people who run around and say ''the world is coming to an end'' and ''we are in the worst economic depression in history''! Just one question, how did the USA make it through other tough times with all its big buissinesses still intact? Didn't hear ya say anything about what is going on with the japanese companies? Like I said before they are feeling it just as bad and if the government does let as you say the big 3 go down than expect to pay $40000+ for a honda civic because then the japanese companies know that they got us, ''where else you gonna go'' and our economy will be shot to hell all over again. Everyone tells me that toyotas are more american built than any other car company. If that is true than I guess that they are going to go under as well with all that ''american backing''. So I guess in 10 years when everything is all said and done and detroit is closed up and toyota does not make any money here and goes back to japan only, to sell vehicles, the only vehicles that will be here are nissian and honda. Well at least I will be able to outrun the cops in my fine american ford 5.0L! I'M done with you say whatever you'd like.

Boy, you sure know how to make friends! Maybe there is a problem with education in this country, but did you just say that we made it through the Great Depression with all of our big businesses intact? Really? Seriously? Also, $40,000 for a Civic? Did you know that most Honda Accords are assembled in Ohio, with 70% domestic parts? Have you ever taken a class in economics, or even supply and demand? Every single run-on sentence in your statement is not only poorly written but completely and totally incorrect. Please, you are certainly entitled to your opinions, but to be so nasty to other people, so sure of your beliefs, and so unbelievably incorrect all at once indicates that you might be better off not pressing that "Add Reply" button.

O.K. O.K. mfkap not being hostile now. With all due respect (speaking with a soft voice) I did not say we made it through the great depression with all our big buisnesses intact, I said we made it through tough times such as in the 1980's when things were not so hot with the stock market. Dont forget we did lose alot of big railways between 1929 and 1945. And I was just using the $40000 honda as an example of a ''monopoly''. Other than that I cant speak for much else but like you said to me you are entitled to your opinions. Sorry if I offended you.

I bet you are one of these people who run around and say ''the world is coming to an end'' and ''we are in the worst economic depression in history''!

Very grown up statement, do you always judge people you do not know this way? No I actually am to busy making sure my department and my city is in a position to survive any disaster including this economic downturn.

Just one question, how did the USA make it through other tough times with all its big buissinesses still intact?

You referenced the great depression previously and how we made it through, but its clear you did not complete that history lesson. We were still in the depression on December 7th, What got us out of the depression was WWII. Many companies did very well then building the "arsenal of democracy", but many others failed, what did it cost us:

1) All americans were willing to sacrifice, mandatory rationing, no gas, 20,000,000 Victory Gardens planted, 6,500,000 women worked in defense industries and most important almost every family had members join the armed forces.

2) 416,800 US fatalities........670,846 wounded

3) US war cost $288,000,000,000 and consider that the average monthly wage was less than $100

What I found most obvious of what it cost was when walking through the American Cemetary in Normandy and seeing 9,387 Headstones and a wall of Missing with 1,557 names. 98% of those hero's were between 19 and 21 years old (they had enlisted about 2 years prior) and they all died within a 3 day window.

Thats what got us out of the great depression.

Didn't hear ya say anything about what is going on with the japanese companies? Like I said before they are feeling it just as bad and if the government does let as you say the big 3 go down than expect to pay $40000+ for a honda civic because then the japanese companies know that they got us, ''where else you gonna go'' and our economy will be shot to hell all over again.

Yes they are "hurting, but they are not going under, and are not asking for handouts. The big 3 have been trying to go under since long before you were born.

Everyone tells me that toyotas are more american built than any other car company. If that is true than I guess that they are going to go under as well with all that ''american backing''.

1) they have not asked for any backing

2) I own 2 Honda's that were built in Ohio and 1 Ford that was built in Canada, Most people have no clue whats built where anymore.

My family owned a Volvo in the Late 1970's. the Body was made in Belgium, the engine & tires in France, electrical in Germany, seats, Italy, AC & Transmission in the US and was assembled in Belgium. And they say its a Swedish Car........

So I guess in 10 years when everything is all said and done and detroit is closed up and toyota does not make any money here and goes back to japan only, to sell vehicles, the only vehicles that will be here are nissian and honda. Well at least I will be able to outrun the cops in my fine american ford 5.0L!

Does this mean you think Nissan and Honda are different than Toyota?

Why do you need to outrun them...dumb is not a crime

I'M done with you say whatever you'd like.

Like I said, very grown up.

The Crown Vic is certainly an interesting car. My family business is transportation, as a result we use Mercury Grand Marqs the very close cousin of the Vic.

Ford has been using the Panther frame for the fleet cars (Town Car, Crown Vic, LTD) Since 1979! So far, after nearly 30 years of service, the basic car remains the last true land yacht, it covers a very specific market, there is little demand for change.

I would love to see a new gen fleet car replace the tired and aging Vic, but the car keeps up chugging. Although they can be fun to drive in from time to time.

Seth,

Every credible article I read seems to have a different fate for the FCV. As an aside; The medium chassis-F series has been dramatically reduced in production. When we ordered our 08' (that went up in flames) I think we waited close to a year for the chassis. The FCV has grown on me over the years as they have made some decent improvements. But it still falls short in areas that are critical. MVA's with fire related deaths, unfortunately, seems to not be solved. An Officer with West Palm Beach was burned alive after crashing into a palm tree on Sunday. They are notorious for terrible front ends, front and rear brakes. But you are correct in saying spare parts are plentiful. We have a few junk yard type companies down here that go to state/muni auctions, purchase ten used radio cards and make one cab out of them. Its a very big business.

Not sure if its been referenced on here but there is a company that has had a custom-law enforcement car on the drawing board for the past couple of years that is getting closer-hopefully-to production. The link is below. Check the spec's out and I think you'll be surprised. Especially with regards to the drive train, power plant and emissons. As well as many Officer freindly concepts i.e. rear passenger suicide doors for ease of prisoner transport.

http://www.carbonmotors.com/ **Take a look at the video while your there**

http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com/officersnames.html