Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tdc202

Did Anyone Go To That Fit 5 Demo At DCFTC?

13 posts in this topic

Hey anyone from Dutchess go to that Fit 5 demo last weekend at the DCFTC? If so Opinions?

I personally was not able to make it there. If Fireman2138, or sr71 sees this, they can comment.

I DO however, have a Powerpoint about the demo from the Teacher of Fire Science at DCC, Dave Walsh. Unfortunately, the file size is 4.5MB, too large for the 2MB max. upload size for this site. If anyone wants it, please PM me with your e-mail address, and I can pass it on to you!

I went and saw it this weekend.

I want to say great job to the DCC Fire Science Club for a great job organizing, planning, and implementing the test burn. There was a lot of work that went into every aspect of getting the test done.

Now to how the test went. The room was lit with a flare. About 8 minutes later the window on the D side was broken. Shortly after the room flashed the thermal pane double door on the A side broke. The FIT 5 was then thrown in and it activated. While the FIT was deploying its fire suppressant, the fire was knocked down, however as soon as the suppressant ran out the fire grew back to its original intensity. In this test, it was not a real success. I would have to say if it was used in an unventilated room, like its is advertised to be used on, it probably would have worked very well. Hopefully some more tests will be done on this device and similar devices so the fire service will be able to use this new, and other similar, technology to its best capabilities.

Thanks I wanted to go but other things came up and couldn't make it.:)

Was anything mentioned on price?

Don't quote me on it but i heard $1100 tossed around a few times. I do not know for sure thats just what I caught in passing.

To all those who PMed me for the copy of the e-mail with the .PPT, please check your e-mails, I sent it to all who PMed me. If you received it, good, if not, please PM me back, and I will attempt to send it again!!

I am glad to see my old club growing up!!!

The year of the inception of the DCC Fire Science Club, I was the Vice President for its first semester, and the 2nd and 3rd Semesters of its existence, I was the President. Couldn't be happier to see it taking off in such a positive direction!! Bravo guys!!!!

Dave sent me the PPT seemed it went well. The DCC Fire Science program is an excellent resource and I can say that a few of my past explorers at JHK have come through the program and the results are outstanding. Keep up the fine work DCC and Dave Walsh, great program.

To all those who PMed me for the copy of the e-mail with the .PPT, please check your e-mails, I sent it to all who PMed me. If you received it, good, if not, please PM me back, and I will attempt to send it again!!

I am glad to see my old club growing up!!!

The year of the inception of the DCC Fire Science Club, I was the Vice President for its first semester, and the 2nd and 3rd Semesters of its existence, I was the President. Couldn't be happier to see it taking off in such a positive direction!! Bravo guys!!!!

I first off want to say great job by the Fire Science crew I know how hard it is to get this type of thing off the ground. It was deffinatly a great effort by them to show somthing that might work in some cases but they also showed it dose not work in all. I don't know mabey cuz i had to miss everything after the burn my only input is I belive that it was not emphasized enough it needed to be deployed in the incipent stage before the room vents. I know some of the people around watching the demo were not impressed for the simple reason they didn't understand. I am almost 100% sure that this test would have worked if they deployed the device just after PVFD took the D side window.

Hey xfirefighter484x I am still drawing a blank about who you are but now I now I was in school with u and in the club with you. Send me an e-mail or somthing with who you are please.

Yesturday in Dave Walsh's fire science class we talked about the test and viewed a powerpoint made by ARA Safety, the company that makes the FIT 5, and on almost ever slide it says that it needs to be in an unventilated area. After watching all of the videos and seeing the pictures of the test burn, you can really tell how much the FIT dampended down the fire. If the chemical was able to stay in the room and didn't escape thought the venting window, I think it would have worked great. The test definately showed that it doesn't work in all situations.

Dave also showed us another company that makes a similar device, however it is a lot cheaper. Hopefully the Fire Science Club will perform another burn and try this new device or the FIT 5 and use the knowledge that was learned from this fire to make it better.

Yesturday in Dave Walsh's fire science class we talked about the test and viewed a powerpoint made by ARA Safety, the company that makes the FIT 5, and on almost ever slide it says that it needs to be in an unventilated area. After watching all of the videos and seeing the pictures of the test burn, you can really tell how much the FIT dampended down the fire. If the chemical was able to stay in the room and didn't escape thought the venting window, I think it would have worked great. The test definately showed that it doesn't work in all situations.

Dave also showed us another company that makes a similar device, however it is a lot cheaper. Hopefully the Fire Science Club will perform another burn and try this new device or the FIT 5 and use the knowledge that was learned from this fire to make it better.

We the Fire Science Club At DCC are talking about doing something similar to what we did last week for the spring burn, the idea of using the other product on the market (the name is escaping me at the moment), but this idea is just that an Idea. We will know more about the burn when we meet for the spring semester.