Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efd184

Constant bashing of the FDMV

15 posts in this topic

Over the past 2 weeks the FDMV has been under constant fire from people of this forum. 95% of the people who have something to say do not live or work in the City of Mt. Vernon or are even involved in the mutual aid to that city. Why are you all concerend? Will you show up and show suppport for these career brothers if that time ever arises? Will you go into the Mayor's office and demand answers? In all the b.s. written I cannot recall much that states a real concern for the saftey of brothers just a bashing of where they work! Yes the FDMV has issues but we all do. How will the bashing help? Please someone give me a good answer and don't let it be from Texas or Dobbs Ferry! I want to hear it from a brother that is truly affected by all this that these issues brought up on this forum actually helps. Until that happens give it a rest! To the hard working brothers in the Vern I feel for you all and hope your job does get better and just know I have much respect for the job you guys do!!!!!

Domenick

Edited by efd184

Domenick,

I appreciate your perspective. I don't currently live or work in Mt. Vernon but I did work there and family and I lived there for years. I still have friends and family living or working there too. I don't know if that entitles me to express an opinion in your eyes but here goes.

It is a travesty that the police and fire departments in Mt. Vernon are so horribly understaffed and ill-equipped. MV is one of the most densely populated jurisdictions in the State and they should have all the equipment and personnel they need to do the job right.

Will I stand with the PD or FD if they seek support in fighting this pathetic treatment? You bet your a$$ I will and I hope countless other public safety people will stand shoulder to shoulder with them too!

I'm not picking on the dedicated professionals working hard in spite of the political winds that blow through the City. I am picking on the political hacks who have no business holding public office (elected or appointed). If you still think I'm picking on Mt. Vernon, I'll try to be more equal opportunity: I think it is a joke that there are fire departments out there staffing apparatus with only one person and I think it is equally absurd that there are other departments who can't fill all the seats on their apparatus with qualified firefighters on a drill night let alone at 1 PM or 1 AM.

Mt. Vernon is taking it on the chin right now in the mainstream media not just here. To the dedicated men and women of the City's services I say keep the faith and keep fighting the fight! Sooner or later there will be enough momentum to effect change! Who's to say that this forum won't help contribute to that momentum.

Senseless bashing is inexcusable but pointing out severe deficiencies in the hopes that improvements will be made is a completely different thing. It doesn't matter if the issues are raised from Texas or Tibet if the intent is to see things change for the better. And you're also right, there are plenty of places with problems and I'm sure that many of them will be discussed here in time.

It isn't personal, it isn't bashing, it's NEWS! And we're all entitled to discuss it here.

Stay safe and keep smiling!

Chris

Over the past 2 weeks the FDMV has been under constant fire from people of this forum. 95% of the people who have something to say do not live or work in the City of Mt. Vernon or are even involved in the mutual aid to that city. Why are you all concerend? Will you show up and show suppport for these career brothers if that time ever arises? Will you go into the Mayor's office and demand answers? In all the b.s. written I cannot recall much that states a real concern for the saftey of brothers just a bashing of where they work! Yes the FDMV has issues but we all do. How will the bashing help? Please someone give me a good answer and don't let it be from Texas or Dobbs Ferry! I want to hear it from a brother that is truly affected by all this that these issues brought up on this forum actually helps. Until that happens give it a rest! To the hard working brothers in the Vern I feel for ya and hope your job does get better and just know I have much respect the the job you guys do!!!!!

Domenick

I'm fairly sure the criticism is of City Government/Mayor, not the rank and file. I cannot recall anyone criticizing the membership of MVFD.

Domenick,

I appreciate your perspective. I don't currently live or work in Mt. Vernon but I did work there and family and I lived there for years. I still have friends and family living or working there too. I don't know if that entitles me to express an opinion in your eyes but here goes.

It is a travesty that the police and fire departments in Mt. Vernon are so horribly understaffed and ill-equipped. MV is one of the most densely populated jurisdictions in the State and they should have all the equipment and personnel they need to do the job right.

Will I stand with the PD or FD if they seek support in fighting this pathetic treatment? You bet your a$$ I will and I hope countless other public safety people will stand shoulder to shoulder with them too!

I'm not picking on the dedicated professionals working hard in spite of the political winds that blow through the City. I am picking on the political hacks who have no business holding public office (elected or appointed). If you still think I'm picking on Mt. Vernon, I'll try to be more equal opportunity: I think it is a joke that there are fire departments out there staffing apparatus with only one person and I think it is equally absurd that there are other departments who can't fill all the seats on their apparatus with qualified firefighters on a drill night let alone at 1 PM or 1 AM.

Mt. Vernon is taking it on the chin right now in the mainstream media not just here. To the dedicated men and women of the City's services I say keep the faith and keep fighting the fight! Sooner or later there will be enough momentum to effect change! Who's to say that this forum won't help contribute to that momentum.

Senseless bashing is inexcusable but pointing out severe deficiencies in the hopes that improvements will be made is a completely different thing. It doesn't matter if the issues are raised from Texas or Tibet if the intent is to see things change for the better. And you're also right, there are plenty of places with problems and I'm sure that many of them will be discussed here in time.

It isn't personal, it isn't bashing, it's NEWS! And we're all entitled to discuss it here.

Stay safe and keep smiling!

Chris

Point taken and well said

Domenick

To the hard working brothers in the Vern I feel for ya and hope your job does get better and just know I have much respect the the job you guys do!!!!!

I believe most of us share the same sentiment.

I believe most of us share the same sentiment.

Agreed!

I lived in Mt Vernon, grew up there and my time in the department dates back to when Leggett was chief. I have seen what was once one of the most respected departments go down the drain taken down by polititions. When I coment on posts about MV or start a thread about it, I remember what it once was and what it is today. There are a lot of guys still there that I have known and call friends and some of these friendships date back to when I was in school growing up. I both feel for the guys there now who "give a damm" and I fear for my friends there that the BS doesn't get one of them hurt. The people in the city don't care. They just want to know that they pay cheep taxes and the polititions promise they will look into it but nothing comes of it. Just like the begining of this year, the Mayor held up hiring because he was looking into new generators for the fire houses. That is a capital expenditure, different area of the budget but no one brought it up and they went months with openings.

We all know that city hall is corrupt. The new administration has yet to prove they are any different. I sit bashing or telling fact!!

I hear what EFD184 is saying, all we hear is negative, but all these post have been about facts, most from lowhud, this forum is at least a place where our story is heard.

No one here wants to see these stories, and we sure dont want to hear them, but I can understand from outside what this MUST look like. I never, ever heard one negative post on our members, only the root cause.

Happy Holidays to all

Over the past 2 weeks the FDMV has been under constant fire from people of this forum. 95% of the people who have something to say do not live or work in the City of Mt. Vernon or are even involved in the mutual aid to that city. Why are you all concerend? Will you show up and show suppport for these career brothers if that time ever arises? Will you go into the Mayor's office and demand answers? In all the b.s. written I cannot recall much that states a real concern for the saftey of brothers just a bashing of where they work! Yes the FDMV has issues but we all do. How will the bashing help? Please someone give me a good answer and don't let it be from Texas or Dobbs Ferry! I want to hear it from a brother that is truly affected by all this that these issues brought up on this forum actually helps. Until that happens give it a rest! To the hard working brothers in the Vern I feel for you all and hope your job does get better and just know I have much respect for the job you guys do!!!!!

Domenick

I appreciate your sentiment but I disagree with you regarding "Mt. Vernon bashing". I haven't seen any criticism on this site of Mount Vernon Firefighters, but rather, sympathy for their horrendous working conditions and concern for the residents of Mt. Vernon as well as any Firefighters who may have to respond in to Mt. Vernon on mutual aid.

Whenever I am put in a position to justify manning levels in the City of Yonkers, one of the things I say is feel free to compare us to a similar size urban / suburban department in the Northeast and you will see that we are not "overmanned" as sometimes politicos or others in Westchester County may think...I always give the caveat though, "not including Mt. Vernon because what is happening there is practically criminal"...and by that I mean failure of the City Fathers to provide adequate manpower and equipment for the department. Surrounding municipalities have footed the bill for fire protection in Mt. Vernon for at least 20 years now. Look at places like the many North Jersey departments, Boston, Providence, Syracuse, etc. Check National Standards including recommendations promulgated by the International City Managers Association (not exactly a pro- Firefighter or pro-union group) and you will see how horribly undermanned a place like Mt. Vernon is.

I believe virtually all career departments in Westchester including Yonkers are undermanned. Regionalization may eventually be the answer, who knows? However for the time being political leaders in Mt. Vernon have a moral obligation to provide adequate funding for their Fire Department. Don't tell me the money's not there...haven't people recently been indicted in Mt. Vernon for embezzling large sums of money?(I really haven't followed it that closely).

I believe most Mt. Vernon Firefighters appreciate the comments that are made on here about their department. This situation must be exposed for what it is for there to be any chance that it will improve.

One factor that hasn't really been mentioned though, that I feel has really hurt the Mt. Vernon Fire Department has been the many years of reverse discrimination in hiring and promotions. Clearly, in my view, the best people have not always been selected for hiring and promotion, and those who were more deserving and were passed over, have been left bitter, demoralized, and in contempt of many of their "leaders".

To our brothers in Mt. Vernon I say that I will be happy to come there anytime to speak out regarding your inadequately manned and equipped department, or to work with you in any way to improve your working conditions, training, or hiring and promotion practices. Keep your heads up, try not to become bitter, and remember that no matter how shabbily you (we) are sometimes treated by our employers, that the people we are sworn to protect are entitled to the best that we are able to give them.

Stay safe.

I appreciate your sentiment but I disagree with you regarding "Mt. Vernon bashing". I haven't seen any criticism on this site of Mount Vernon Firefighters, but rather, sympathy for their horrendous working conditions and concern for the residents of Mt. Vernon as well as any Firefighters who may have to respond in to Mt. Vernon on mutual aid.

Whenever I am put in a position to justify manning levels in the City of Yonkers, one of the things I say is feel free to compare us to a similar size urban / suburban department in the Northeast and you will see that we are not "overmanned" as sometimes politicos or others in Westchester County may think...I always give the caveat though, "not including Mt. Vernon because what is happening there is practically criminal"...and by that I mean failure of the City Fathers to provide adequate manpower and equipment for the department. Surrounding municipalities have footed the bill for fire protection in Mt. Vernon for at least 20 years now. Look at places like the many North Jersey departments, Boston, Providence, Syracuse, etc. Check National Standards including recommendations promulgated by the International City Managers Association (not exactly a pro- Firefighter or pro-union group) and you will see how horribly undermanned a place like Mt. Vernon is.

I believe virtually all career departments in Westchester including Yonkers are undermanned. Regionalization may eventually be the answer, who knows? However for the time being political leaders in Mt. Vernon have a moral obligation to provide adequate funding for their Fire Department. Don't tell me the money's not there...haven't people recently been indicted in Mt. Vernon for embezzling large sums of money?(I really haven't followed it that closely).

I believe most Mt. Vernon Firefighters appreciate the comments that are made on here about their department. This situation must be exposed for what it is for there to be any chance that it will improve.

One factor that hasn't really been mentioned though, that I feel has really hurt the Mt. Vernon Fire Department has been the many years of reverse discrimination in hiring and promotions. Clearly, in my view, the best people have not always been selected for hiring and promotion, and those who were more deserving and were passed over, have been left bitter, demoralized, and in contempt of many of their "leaders".

To our brothers in Mt. Vernon I say that I will be happy to come there anytime to speak out regarding your inadequately manned and equipped department, or to work with you in any way to improve your working conditions, training, or hiring and promotion practices. Keep your heads up, try not to become bitter, and remember that no matter how shabbily you (we) are sometimes treated by our employers, that the people we are sworn to protect are entitled to the best that we are able to give them.

Stay safe.

P.S. Hi Lil' Buddy...I know you're out there...I'll be back soon...hope you're in my squad...

I to will stand next to any brother from FDMV. to fight for a better dept. We in PORT CHESTER will never forget when you stood by us to fight the cancer called Rural metro!

and don't let it be from Texas

Domenick

Since I believe the Texas quote was directed at me, I'm offended and insulted. I worked in Mount Vernon for several years, for Empress on Mount Vernon Ambulance 1. I also have many friends in the Mount Vernon Fire Department, several of whom I went to probie school with or were my instructors in probie school. I also worked for 60 Control and dispatched several multiple alarm fires into Mount Vernon. Additionally, I'm from NY, and lived in Westchester for 28 years of my life. I moved away to a place where fire protection, firefighter safety, and proper staffing is actually taken seriously, meanwhile the cost of living much less.

These issues have been ignored for years, and I'm glad that this forum can shed some light on them. This forum is for the sharing of information, ideas, and opinions....whether you agree with them or not. There is absolutely NO bashing, only discussion of the facts, which aren't pretty. I'm sure when you watch a football game that's not going the way you had hoped, you don't complain about those commenting on the game?

I think the other members who responded to your post have covered the rest of what I want to say.

P.S.: I will show my support for the Mount Vernon Firefighters in any way I can, as I believe I always have. I'm concerned and I firmly believe that with the attention these issues will get, things will snowball and eventually get better.....that is my hope. I NEVER want to hear about a tragedy, and know it could have been prevented......

Yes the remark was directed at you 100%! I have nothing to hide. Empress is not a city agency and you didn't live in Mt. Vernon! But you have made it a point to always bring up negative issues about the situation. Please show 1 thing that I have not seen about the MVFD that has been positivefrom you.If you do then I will gladly say I was wrong! As for my original post I did not make any claim that the membership was bashed in any way just the the job that work at. As for the job they do I was clear how I felt and would be happy to stand with them anyday in ANY sitiuation!!!!

We are all entitled to our own opinions and this is MINE! Does it make me bad guy? To some it may but its how I feel!You don't have to like it just like I might not like yours!

Stay safe!!!!

Domenick

Ps

Don't be offened or insulted!! If you are thicken up!!!

Yes the remark was directed at you 100%! I have nothing to hide. Empress is not a city agency and you didn't live in Mt. Vernon! But you have made it a point to always bring up negative issues about the situation. Please show 1 thing that I have not seen about the MVFD that has been positivefrom you.If you do then I will gladly say I was wrong! As for my original post I did not make any claim that the membership was bashed in any way just the the job that work at. As for the job they do I was clear how I felt and would be happy to stand with them anyday in ANY sitiuation!!!!

We are all entitled to our own opinions and this is MINE! Does it make me bad guy? To some it may but its how I feel!You don't have to like it just like I might not like yours!

Stay safe!!!!

Domenick

Ps

Would it be safe to say Empress has more responses in MV then the FD?

Stay safe!!!!

Domenick

Ps

Empress is contracted with the City of Mt. Vernon as the third service EMS provider. Their paychecks don't say "City of Mt. Vernon" but they are the city's 911 provider. They work side by side with the PD and FD so I don't get your point. They don't have a right to an opinion because they're not paid by the City? That's pretty weak.

In the first line you say that the remark was directed at another member and in the last you say not to be insulted or offended - you can't have it both ways.

As has been stated by numerous members in this thread, the discussion about the MVFD is that of public information. It is not agency bashing nor is it revealing privileged information.

From where I sit, you have an ax to grind with another EMTBravo member and this thread is intended to do nothing more than incite a problem. My recommendation is to close this thread as it is counterproductive.