Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Look to Sky for Spectacular Sight Monday Night 12/1

18 posts in this topic

Look to Sky for Spectacular Sight Monday

By Joe Rao

Space.com

(Nov. 29) - Every once in a while, something will appear in the night sky that will attract the attention of even those who normally don't bother looking up. It's likely to be that way on Monday evening, Dec. 1.

A slender crescent moon, just 15-percent illuminated, will appear in very close proximity to the two brightest planets in our sky, Venus and Jupiter.

People who are unaware or have no advance notice will almost certainly wonder, as they cast a casual glance toward the moon on that night, what those two "large silvery stars" happen to be? Sometimes, such an occasion brings with it a sudden spike of phone calls to local planetariums, weather offices and even police precincts. Not a few of these calls excitedly inquire about "the UFOs" that are hovering in the vicinity of our natural satellite.

http://news.aol.com/article/look-to-sky-fo...1609x1200892535

I saw that, even grabbed a shot of it! The second onewas actually a time exposure before I set up the tripod. Kinda Odd looking designs don't ya think??? HAHA!

post-584-1228191739.jpg

post-584-1228192524.jpg

:D Thanks, Jon!!! :D

I witnessed the same rare event grabbed the camera and snapped a few myself.

Moon_Venus_Jupiter_12-1-08.jpg

Next time this is supposed to happen is in 2052

:P Proud new member of the 1,000 post club :P

Edited by JetPhoto

I saw that, even grabbed a shot of it! The second onewas actually a time exposure before I set up the tripod. Kinda Odd looking designs don't ya think??? HAHA!

Doc great shots there!

Very cool guys! Great photos.

It was a great sight and one that I have enjoyed the few times it has occurred and I've been cognizant of it. Nice photos brother!

I had a chance to see it,

PRETTY COOL!

Thanks for posting the pics guys!

I got to see it, pretty neat, then the clouds came and it was gone, thanks for sharing the photos guys any chance I can copy one to place on our fire company website???

Its still viewable right now if you look towards the southwest or just look for the moon,but you should be able to see it for the next few days.

It sure is thanks and it is clearer tonight as well

That's pretty cool I should still be alive in 2052 so maybe I'll see it next time.

Still makes me feel how small we are in space but its definitely cool!

I got to see it for about 10 minutes last night, then the clouds gathered and we got more rain. But it WAS an awesome site!

Thanks for the pics guys I didnt know about it and am glad i at least got to see pics of it