Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemn23

Highway Response

46 posts in this topic

That's kind of strange considering LCFD and EFFD are in between on 84.

We cover I-88 in our district and it is an elevated highway so it ices over very easy and very frequent. We respond our eng 3 (equiped with TNT tool) and rescue to the scene and our brush truck to the nearest turn-around so we can shut down the interstate if we have too. There was one MVA when the Interstate had an inch of ice, we put our eng in a buffer position and went to set up the tool when all of a sudden we hear yelling and screaming from our pump op. I look up in time to see THREE cars spinning and sliding right at the car I was near. I "slid" out of the way and watched a 2 car MVA turn into a 5 car. We found out that the drivers tried to stop when they saw the trooper setting up flares but it wasnt enough time and they lost controll. One woman was crying hysterically at the thought that she almost ran us over.

Now it is SOP to shut down the Interstate when we have an MVA and re-route the traffic to route 7 which runs parallel to I-88. Since then we have also received an old village police car from the PD to use as a utility vehicle and now that responds also to assist with the shut down.

Stamford uses the following responses to I-95:

MVA Northbound: Available medic unit (Medic 1 is first due), Engine 3, and Rescue 1

MVA Soutbound: Available medic unit (Medic 2 is first due), Engine 6, and Rescue 1

Car fire: 2 Engine Companies

MVA w/ fire:2 Engine Co.'s, Rescue 1, and available medic unit

We try to keep our truck co.'s off the highway due to the major amount of highway congestion and the potential for them to be involved in an MVA themselves.

Parkways could be the worst with nothing but a curb, no place to pull off. That creates problems with stoping when you actualy get to the scene. I can remember a few times having trouble getting cars to slow down and move to the other lane becasue we had to take up a whole lane even though the crash was off the road.There also become problems with over crouding the parkway with trucks. In Bedford Hills, we send Rescue 10 and MA 9 on the initial responce. For car fires its usualy engine 198 and the tanker (althoguh out of my 2 years here, i can only remember 1 or 2). Normaly PD is good about helping us. I remember one night at like 1 in th emorning, we had a jeep on fire and we pulled the engine right across both lanes (there was no trafic at the hour anyways). It was good protection and it let tanker 5 drive the wrong way down the parkway.

It was good protection and it let tanker 5 drive the wrong way down the parkway.

What is everyone's feelings on driving the wrong way down a divided highway? There are plenty of cases where the FD or EMS was told a highway was closed down and proceeded down the road the wrong way only to be met by traffic coming right at them. I personally feel it is a dangerous manouver that should only be taken under extreme cases (i.e. not for a car fire), and only when it is CONFIRMED that all traffic has ceased movement. Also do all your FD's close down the lane of the incident and an additional lane of traffic? Some PO's get very upset about this procedure, but it is for our safety.

What is everyone's feelings on driving the wrong way down a divided highway?  There are plenty of cases where the FD or EMS was told a highway was closed down and proceeded down the road the wrong way only to be met by traffic coming right at them.  I personally feel it is a dangerous manouver that should only be taken under extreme cases (i.e. not for a car fire), and only when it is CONFIRMED that all traffic has ceased movement.  Also do all your FD's close down the lane of the incident and an additional lane of traffic?  Some PO's get very upset about this procedure, but it is for our safety.

Like i said, it was 1 in the morning on the sawmill with confermation that the engine was blocking the whole 2 lanes but yes, durring the day with cars and such, it should be made very clear if the road is shut down. Another thing that is tricky are those FD cuts in the divider to let you make a U turn.

i know Fishkill uses Brewster's rescue on PIAAs on I-84

Brewster was special called to East Fishkil last Friday for thier High Lift Air Bags for a TT accident. Other then that They really dont go outside thier district.

in port chester we cover i-287, i-95,and the hutch. depending on which highway it is and depending north or south or east or west decides which engine. the career engine and the rescue proceed right to the scene and the volunteer engine stays on the ramp unless needed. if the rescue is not needed for an extrication it is too be used as a blocker for the scene. if we are going to extricate the engine will come off the ramp and protect the scene.

For calls on I-684 in Golden's Bridge:

Motor Vehicle Fire

E-140 followed by T-1 and R-24

PIAA or EMS Call

R-24 followed by E-140 and R-25

If northbound, KBHVAC usually responds

If southbound, NSVAC usually responds

Our two chiefs who have trucks that are striped & lighted will respond on I-684. The 2nd assistant chief, who uses his POV, responds to the firehouse as no one is allowed to respond on the interstate in a POV.

Regarding responses against the normal flow of traffic and use of jug handles, we restrict both. Only when the OIC has confirmed to a specific unit that traffic has been stopped (not slowed, but stopped completely) will the unit respond against the normal flow or hit a turnaround. If we're unable to reach the scene from the on-ramp at exit 6A, our apparatus will turn around at exit 6 (Katonah) to head northbound or access I-684 from exit 7 (Purdys) to head southbound.

And yes, we take an extra lane to provide a buffer for scene safety.

If i'm not mistaken Tarrytown FD uses E-77 &E-78 for extrication calls and E-77 and E-79 for car fires. TVAC and Greenburgh ALS for MVA's.

[/quote

tfd uses e-77& e-79 on extrication calls. and uses e-80 on carfires south prospect

ave

In Greenwich, usually 1 engine is sent in each direction. In addition depending on manning you can also get a rescue, patrol, squad, and/or utility.

As for personal vehicles, guys that live close to I-95 or the Merritt Parkway go to the entrance ramp and hitch a ride.

In Cos Cob Fire Police Patrol we try to always enter I-95 from Entrance 4 so that the members know where they can catch a ride.

Christian Andersen

1st LT.

Cos Cob Fire Police Patrol, Inc.

In Goshen (Orange County) we cover a good stretch of Rt 17. Our normal response for an MVA is 1 engine, 1 heavy rescue,1 tanker and the fire police van The tanker is mostly used for scene protection but the engine can also assume that role as well. If the incident is larger or a car fire we respond the 2nd tanker, engine and light duty rescue. If necessary basically we roll everything but the ladder truck.

In Fairfield, car fires on I95 warrant a Single Engine and Rescue 1, Squad 14 also if in Southport. For an MVA it could be an Engine, Rescue 1 and/or Ladder 2. For the Merritt Parkway an Engine, Ladder 2 and Rescue 15 are assigned for MVA's. Just an Engine and Rescue 15 (at night) for a car fire.

If the MVA in either location is serious enough the extra rescue is called in. As for personal vehicles no one has theirs as the units are staffed with firefighters, career or volunteer.

In Peekskill we usually assign our rescue of MVA, and an addition engine if we need it, and two engines for car fires. Our ltruck company also has a full set of extrication tools for 2nd due MVAs. recently we just had a fully involved bus fire on route 9 and we had our truck company and 3 engines.

Hi when responding to mvas on our stretch we have an engine and a resue for scene protection depending on the severity of the accident or fire.

In Newark if a bus is requested, we send our rescue. If NFD is on a job on the highway its one engine, a truck and a BC.

We have a good stretch of I84 and the taconic, so standard is 1 engine from (X) station, depending where along the road it is, 39-71(amb), 39-52(rescue), and 39-98(fire police), if needed an additional engine from (X) station for manpower, supression, tools, or to set up a landing zone