Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calhobs

A question about the Oregon Bombing Incident

17 posts in this topic

(CNN) -- A bomb exploded at a Woodburn, Oregon, bank branch early Friday evening, killing a police officer and injuring the town's police chief and a state bomb technician, Oregon State Police said.

A police officer was killed Friday after a bomb exploded inside the West Coast Bank in Woodburn, Oregon.

Woodburn Police Chief Scott Russell was listed in critical condition at Oregon Health and Science University Hospital, according to hospital spokeswoman Christine Decker.

The name of the slain police officer has not yet been released. There was no immediate word on the bomb tech's identity or condition

The three were investigating a suspicious device at a West Coast Bank branch when the bomb went off, police said. Police had brought the device inside after it was discovered outside, bank president Bob Sznewajs told CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/12/oregon...bomb/index.html

A question to our Law Enforcement friends, why would you move the bomb from outside the bank to inside.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

As a former military bomb technician, I don't know why they would. But then again, I wasn't there and don't know the whole story...

wow rip to the officer that was killed though

I don't think that was what he meant. With proper punctuation maybe it is different I may be wrong though.

Wow! R.I.P to the police officer that was killed though.

I don't think that was what he meant. With proper punctuation maybe it is different I may be wrong though.

Wow! R.I.P to the police officer that was killed though.

Now that I re read it I think You are right I will remove my post above.

Just goes to show you a little punctuation goes a long way. Lol

Packages that have been handled in Yonkers by WCPD Bomb squad are typically not moved and x-rayed in place then determined safe or rendered safe by them. Sad situation RIP

According to CNN the bomb technician has passed away due to his injuries RIP

The dead are identified as Senior Trooper William Hakim and Woodburn Police Capt. Tom Tennant, both 51. Woodburn Police Chief Scott Russell, 46, is in critical condition at a Portland hospital.

Thoughts and prayers to the Fallen's families, friends and fellow members of their departments.

Well first and foremost.... this is the first bomb tech LODD in the CONUS since 9/11..... My prayers and wishes are with the family....

That being said.... something does not seem right based on the media reports..... Rule #1 in basic bomb tech school... don't move the package.

There has to be more to this story. All Bomb Techs in the US are trained at the same school and there is something missing here. I wish I knew what but ??????.

Anyway... RIP brother...... To all others..... STAY SAFE!!!

If anybody wants additional info PM me... I will provide what I can.

Edited by khas143

The dead are identified as Senior Trooper William Hakim and Woodburn Police Capt. Tom Tennant, both 51. Woodburn Police Chief Scott Russell, 46, is in critical condition at a Portland hospital.

Thoughts and prayers to the Fallen's families, friends and fellow members of their departments.

May the both rest in peace and I hope the chief recovers quickly.

RIP to both officers, and my prayers to all those involved.

Damn...that just sucks. Rest in Peace Brothers!

Oddly enough I just reviewed with the other tacitical members on my team about bomb team support ops. I hope that idiot rots, gets raped and rolled in his cell everyday.

Ore. officers thought bomb was hoax

Blast killed 2 officers, wounded a 3rd; man faces murder charges

PORTLAND, Ore. - Court documents show two law-enforcement officers killed in a bank bombing last week believed the device was a hoax and were trying to open it when it exploded.

A probable cause statement in the case of bombing suspect Joshua Turnidge said Oregon State Police Senior Trooper William Hakim inspected and X-rayed a green metal box found Friday outside the West Coast Bank building in Woodburn.

Hakim was confident it was a hoax device, so he took it inside, according to the document.

A bank employee saw Hakim trying to open it while Woodburn Capt. Tom Tennant held it, and then it exploded, the statement said.

Hakim and Tennant were killed. Woodburn Police Chief Scott Russell was critically injured. The bank employee was treated at Salem Hospital and released.

Turnidge, 32, was arrested Sunday after police released surveillance photographs of a person of interest in Friday's bombing. Turnidge was being held on multiple charges including murder, manufacturing and possession of a dangerous device, and conspiracy.

He appeared in court for the first time on Tuesday. Turnidge answered "yes" twice to questions about whether he wanted a lawyer. He did not enter a plea.

Following the brief hearing, prosecutor Matt Kemmy said authorities won't reveal the motive behind the bombing. Turnidge is due back in court Dec. 26.

'Shocked'

Turnidge's landlord, Randy Jacobsen, said Monday that he met Turnidge about a month ago and they become friends. Jacobsen called Turnidge a "very hardworking, upstanding guy."

"We're just shocked if this ends up being true," he said.

He said Turnidge watched football every Sunday and was trying to build an alternative-fuel business.

The bomb went off after police officers arrived to check on a suspicious object and then brought it inside the bank. Investigators have said they do not know why it was taken inside.

Turnidge was arrested in Salem, about 20 miles south of Woodburn, where he has lived at various homes over the past few years.

Authorities have said they believe the bomber is skilled in welding and electronics. Public records show he has worked as a steelworker and no serious offenses on record in Oregon.

WOW. They thought it was a hoax and so treated it as such? How is that possible? I mean, not 1, not even 2, but THREE well-trained minds all get together and unanimously agree NOT to take a bomb threat seriously and actually attempt to open the device themselves? I'm missing something here and it is bothering me... if WHY isn't established then no one can learn how NOT to make the same mistake again. All EMS/police/fire know to train, train, train--- and to never become complacent when responding to anything.

It is just so tragic and stupidly avoidable. These devastated families are without dads and husbands now. God bless them all. I hope they get through this.

Please, everyone reading, "be safe" sounds flippant and dismissive, especially when it's said by one of your family or friends... but it's NOT. Be safe is not so much a gentle wish as a pointed request for YOU to choose safety and caution with every single call during every single shift you work. Never get so complacent that you forget that. You all have family like me to go home to- so when we say BE SAFE we are pleading with you to come home every night. Without freaking you out or getting too emotional, that's what we're really asking you.

I'm done soapboxing. Happy holidays and BE SAFE. Please.

As per the article, the box was x-rayed and inspected. I don't know anything about how they do their job, but its not like they arbitrarily decided this one's a fake. They will review the actions of individuals, review procedures and determine what went wrong. Maybe someone goofed or maybe this guy did a great job of concealing the contents of his device, hell, maybe it was a bit of both.

Edited by ny10570