Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Port Chester Fire Headquarters

11 posts in this topic

I believe, if memory serves correct, that Port Chester Fire Headquarters is the one that has the ladders and I can't remember the street name.

This facility has always seemed very cramped in the apparatus bay to me. What apparatus is squeezed in there? Is there any talk of renovations or a new fire headquarters for Port Chester??

the firehouse you are talking about is located on Westchester Ave next to Poningo St and it houses both Ladder trucks the rescue and eng 58 and eng60

PCFD HQ is on Westchester Ave at Poningo St

From Right to Left, as you look at the front of the building, there is a single bay with E-58 (Career Engine) in front of E-60 (Reliance). Then there is a double bay with TL-2 and L-31 (Harry Howard). Then another single bay houses R-40 (Fire Patrol& Rescue) Watching them back R-40 into that bay is like watching James Bond defusing the nuke in Goldfinger, or playing the game "Operation"... don't touch the sides!

Edit: Didn't see Jared's post before I posted.

Edited by 242steve

Fire headquarters has been in some very bad shape for sometime. In the past few years (with support of 2391, 2392 and 2393) they have done some work like (repair of 1/2 of the floor since it collasped and the drains did as well) repointed the building last yr, demo'd the only bathrrom on the second floor (also was for the third floor) and put two baths on the second floor and a new one on the third floor, some painting outside the building, rew gutters that was needed badly.

Some other work is supposed to be done on the apparatas floor walls. Stairwell needs help but we will see in the future.(keeping fingers crossed)

Fire Headquarters

Engine 58 and Engine 60 (behind 58)

Tower ladder 2

Ladder 31

Rescue 40 but have a separate entrance.

the firehouse is tight and with new trucks, they are bigger and wider so yes it is tight

with budget cuts u never know whats going to happen.

The HHHL guys might remember my "famous" quote one day I was hanging down there coming off the third floor......

"DOESN'T THIS PLACE HAVE A POLE?!?!?!?!?!" :P

Fire headquarters has been in some very bad shape for sometime. In the past few years (with support of 2391, 2392 and 2393) they have done some work like (repair of 1/2 of the floor since it collasped and the drains did as well) repointed the building last yr, demo'd the only bathrrom on the second floor (also was for the third floor) and put two baths on the second floor and a new one on the third floor, some painting outside the building, rew gutters that was needed badly.

Some other work is supposed to be done on the apparatas floor walls. Stairwell needs help but we will see in the future.(keeping fingers crossed)

Fire Headquarters

Engine 58 and Engine 60 (behind 58)

Tower ladder 2

Ladder 31

Rescue 40 but have a separate entrance.

the firehouse is tight and with new trucks, they are bigger and wider so yes it is tight

with budget cuts u never know whats going to happen.

.. lets not forget the local 1971 office and supply rooms that were slowly detaching themselves and collapsing under the weight shift of the bldg.... hopefull they can start work on all the little things now... stairs.. walls.. fire escapes.. basements...but yea good luck with repairs hope all goes well and u can restore that station.

There is one on there website but it isn't a very good angle.

http://www.portchesterny.com/subpageF.cfm?...mp;mainPageID=6

I found another one too if this is the house . http://www.westnet.com/fire/picpage.html

The first picture is a newer but doesnt show the house with the new rig in it which is much bigger than the tiller pictured.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just build a new fire headquarters? Then again, I guess land is scarce in Port Chester for that type of project.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just build a new fire headquarters? Then again, I guess land is scarce in Port Chester for that type of project.

Being the history buff that I am, the last thing I want to see is that great, old building replaced and torn down. It's right up there as one of the oldest firehouse's in the entire area. Having grown up in Byram, I've seen enough classic buildings go the way of the wrecking ball in the name of "progress". It broke my heart when I found out that the old South Main firehouse was being given up on.

Oh Yea if you guys think that building is tight, you've not been to some of the firehouse's I have. Hell, some your own Sound Shore neighbors were in MUCH worse shape than that at one time.

Edited by fsw1970