Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Port Chester going to 60 Control?

72 posts in this topic

My issue is that you make up a bunch of "What Ifs" about the Dispatch side of things. The "What Ifs" could just as easily happen to the response side of things.  I respect your views, and you have every right to state your opinion, as do I.  Please note I've been on both sides of this issue. I just feel you need to look (and understand)  facts from both sides of the issues before making prejuical comments. The term "Benefit of the doubt" comes to mind. You're not even giving this switch a chance with an open mind.  25 years is a long time, and you are probaly set in your ways, and like most senior guys, think us youngins are nuts. But it's going to be our future, and we all need to work together to progress to serve the citizens of the WC better.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I really didn't want to take sides on this, but after the last couple of posts I felt I had to comment. Firefighters do not neccesarily make good dispatchers. Nor do dispatchers neccesarily make good firefighters.(I'm living proof)

As for the old salt vs. the young buck conflict, yes, we all need to work together for the greater good, or to put it more bluntly, to provide a better service to those whom we are sworn to protect. To those who have been around for years, to an extent, You have the respect of the newer crowd. like I said in my Making life Easier thread, don't abuse it. You may have been doing your thing when tube tops were fashionble, but you can still pick up a thing or two from the newbies.

For those of us who have a little experience or a few years behind them, learn from those who are senior, earn their respect. Be diplomatic when forwarding new ideas. The general consensus I get in my present position is that those who did not work during the times of heavy activity, don't know squat, and can't be innovative when it comes to adopting/revising policy. This is far from the truth.

Give new ideas a chance, or old ideas updated. It just may get the job done as well as, or better than some of the old ways. OK Soapbox 10-8.

Well, as part of the"old salt" I, for one am damn glad to have the "young bucks" to take over. Maybe some of us old timers could train for and do at least part time dispatchsince we've already seen the FF side of it. Perhaps part of the new FF training could be a "sit along with Dispatchers @ 60-- might give'em a better understanding of what it's all about.

Get out of my head, that dispatch "ride along" for the firefighters is an idea I've been kicking around for ages.

Get out of my head, that dispatch "ride along" for the firefighters is an idea I've been kicking around for ages.

Guess I struck a nerve, huh?

That would be a really good idea - but I think hard to impliment on a county level at say 60ctl. Somewhere that self-dispatches such as Somers, that would work no doubt.

I absolutly agree that being on the "other side of the table" gives life SUCh a different view - you'll be thinking when you're at a fire scene "that #(%*# dispatcher!!!" or when behind the phones "that #%(* chief!" but when you've done both, or experienced both... you'll be like "oh i know it really pisses them off when this happens... let me be nice for once"

For a few years now, many of the FF 1 students have been brought into the ECC (AKA 60 Control) by their Instructors to see how it works.

This isn't a bad idea, because every Department at one point or another requires the services of 60 Control.

It may not be a bad idea to also bring in the students taking ICS courses too. Your scene can't run smoothly if your comm center isn't cooperative...

60-Control is the best place to be...I'd give anything to work there!

Like my friend Ladder47, I'm also from Nassau County. Our County dispatch center, Firecom has taken over at least 3 large multiple station depts. in recent years. Some of the issues on this board also came up in our county. We've found that the key to a smooth transition is good attitudes and good planning, combined with a well set up CAD system. If the leaders of the local FD and the county center work together, and have complete street index data and company assignments, usually the changeover can be made with relatively few problems. Of course there are always a few glitches in any big change or new system. But again, these can usually be worked out, if all sides have a positive approach and if the dispatch procedures are kept logical, and not excessively complicated. :D

As far as mistakes being made, that can happen no matter what agency does the dispatching. Does anyone remember the "Swiss Nanny Case" in Thornwood (Mt. Pleasant Township) back in 1991? Two good books were written about it, which told of a dispatching delay by the local police dept. Thornwood and several other fire companies were dispatched by the Mt. Pleasant PD which used a card type street index that was not kept up-to-date. According to the transcript of the tape, the caller gave the correct address and cross street, but the card had incomplete house numbers for that street. And several minutes were lost while the local police dispatcher tried to decide the correct location and company assignment. So, the point is, no matter who is doing the dispatching, the keys to success are having a good quality system in place, and having smart dispatchers, whether on the county or local level. :wink:

Guess I struck a nerve, huh?

Not so much as struck a nerve, but I think ride alongs are beneficial to all. You get to see how the other half lives, so to speak.

PBVPM,

Took your advice and spoke to a few close PCFD friends ( all with a considerable amount of service time) and they raved about the use of the county dispatching. They also filled me in on a number of horror stories from when the dispatching was done in house, including delayed alarms.

My opinion; bravo to the current administration of the PCFD for this change.

you know i am reading all this feed back about 60 control and i have to say 60 control is doing a fine job i was an 18 year member of engine 61 pcfd till i moved out of state but during my visits to port chester and my talks with my brothers in port chester via nextel they have nothing to say but good things about 60 contro and the job they are doing ..