Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Rombout FD - MVA W/Entrapment Rte 9 I/A/O Snow Valley 12-18-08

25 posts in this topic

Rombout Fire, Alamo EMS, the Dutchess County Sheriffs Dept, and the Town of Fishkill Police operated at this two car head-on auto accident on Rte 9 south of the Snow Valley Camp Grounds on the evening of Thursday December 18. The drivers of both vehicles were pinned and extricated by Rombout Firefighters................... These are photo's of the incident as well as a few short video clips that I took and spliced together....

440478279_jabGY-XL.jpg

The van that was involved in the collision with a Subaru Forester

440480936_g5tyf-XL.jpg

Firefighters work to free the driver of the van......

440480591_CjEdi-XL.jpg

While firefighters worked to free the vans driver, these firefighters work to free the Foresters driver.

440490411_xfiJH-XL.jpg

The van driver now free, Rombout firefighters and Alamo Medics prepare her for transport.

440495637_b8rNi-XL.jpg

Fire and EMS personnel prepare to remove the female driver from the Forester.

Link to HD video: http://www.vimeo.com/2588074

Clicking on the four arrows at the bottom-right of the screen will open the video in full screen mode.....

Ps..... As of this writing, Vimeo - my video hoster, is apparently having one of their busiest days ever as the video loading is real slow...... You may have to try again later......

Edited by Photounit

Bill I was listening at work to the call sounded very serious and the photos confirm that. Rombout command did and excellent job. The original report was like 5 possible pins, so was it just the drivers???

P.S.

Great photos again.

Nice shots Bill. Thanks for sharing them..Looks like a good job by RFD

Edited by tdc202

Nice job by Rombout and Alamo. Nice pictures too. And of course ... nice vests. :rolleyes:

Great shots, Bill!! Thanks for sharing. They really show the severity of this accident.

Nice Bill, great video too.

I see the one Rombout FF almost became a inj FF on the slick road. I also noted a lot of other (non Rombout) personal with none or limited turnout on makes good shots look bad.

At least the vest photograph nice

i think the guys did a fine job i also think that with a call like this the ems side really need's to step it up and not take there time getting to there bus i watched them at the same time watch all the cops fly down rt.9 and 1 of the rfd chief's i think as the first crew of the amb. took there time to finsh buying stuff and finsh what they were doing befor they responded not calling out the time from dispatch to the time the bus was started and moveing how nice to call responding from a hand radio and not the one in the bus just because your right up the street dosent mean you can take your time and they werent at there fishkill st.

i think the guys did a fine job i also think that with a call like this the ems side really need's to step it up and not take there time getting to there bus i watched them at the same time watch all the cops fly down rt.9 and 1 of the rfd chief's i think as the first crew of the amb. took there time to finsh buying stuff and finsh what they were doing befor they responded not calling out the time from dispatch to the time the bus was started and moveing how nice to call responding from a hand radio and not the one in the bus just because your right up the street dosent mean you can take your time and they werent at there fishkill st.

WHAT? :blink:

I'll reply to this when I get the english translation.

I think he's trying to say the EMS crew didn't respond right away. In their defense, when you're getting your rear kicked all day and you finally get the chance to pull in and get a cup of coffee or a burger, waiting the 30 seconds for them to make it when you get dispatched is not a big deal. If you're waiting 10 minutes, that's a whole different story.

It sounds like all did a great job! I think before making a post like the one above, one might want to step it up and actually use the english language appropiately before criticizing another professionals job or actions. Did you actually read this before you hit post? How do you know they were sent by their dispatcher right away? Perhaps maybe someone should go ahead and bang out on here some of the issues your agency has or maybe some things that go. I don't know what take your time getting there is in your boat...but I want all my personnel to take the time to get there safely. And its "their" not "there."

I'm dual role, but EMS providers always step it up.

It sounds like all did a great job! I think before making a post like the one above, one might want to step it up and actually use the english language appropiately before criticizing another professionals job or actions. Did you actually read this before you hit post? How do you know they were sent by their dispatcher right away? Perhaps maybe someone should go ahead and bang out on here some of the issues your agency has or maybe some things that go. I don't know what take your time getting there is in your boat...but I want all my personnel to take the time to get there safely. And its "their" not "there."

I'm dual role, but EMS providers always step it up.

Tommy,

I'll second that!

Nice pics I cant say for sure since i was not there but assuming road was closed not everyone needs a vest correct? correct me if I am wrong

Nice pics I cant say for sure since i was not there but assuming road was closed not everyone needs a vest correct? correct me if I am wrong

In my opinion, wearing the PPE all the time allows your mind to think about it all the time: hence practice makes perfect. Besides you still have ambulances tow trucks etc. moving around the scene so you never know when a close call may occur.

In my opinion, wearing the PPE all the time allows your mind to think about it all the time: hence practice makes perfect. Besides you still have ambulances tow trucks etc. moving around the scene so you never know when a close call may occur.

Dont disagree with you just asking if this could be the case

Uhhhhhhhh....... I have my own belief about the new requirement for these vests which could be another topic in itself........ The long and short of it is that we have all these lights on our vehicles and people still hit them...... And we have all this reflective striping on our gear and people still hit us so, the question begs to be asked; how are these huge chevrons and reflective vests going to help us? To me we are just aiding the people who are under the influence of drugs, alcohol, lack of sleep, or stupidity by better illuminating the target..... I saw a study several years ago and it said that the majority of these accidents were caused by one of the above and not visibility...... JMO (Just my opinion)

Duhhhh.... I saw that there is a separate post regarding this.....Guess I need to hang out here more often........

Edited by Photounit

Aside from the fact that i gave myself a headache trying to translate that, i have a family i want to come home to too. Having worked in both counties where this accident occurred (and where nasty accidents frequently occur) i will tell you straight up if your "flying" down this particular stretch of Rt. 9 you are going to kill yourself - even in decent road conditions.

An ambulance, especially the vans, are not race cars and while we may be able to exceed the posted speed limit you surely wont find me doing Mach 3 to any call. Like i said from the get go i have a family who i want to go home to after my tour. Regardless of the fact, EMS getting their at warp speed isn't going to get the driver cut out any faster. Besides, if we get hurt going to a job who's going to help the patient?

It looks to me that the patient was transported immediately after extrication so I'm not really sure how valid your argument or statement really is. Do you honestly think the second a call comes in my partner and i are teleported to our respective seats in the ambulance?

Honestly, this is the most ridiculous thing i've heard in a long time. I mean if your going to sit here and bust EMS's chops, can i make a post or comment every time i hear an FD get toned out 55 times for an AFA and then hear it go mutual aid?

Either way it looks like it was a nice job by those agencies involved. Hats off.

Nice shots Bill and the Video adds a lot of in-site on the job. Great idea, I did notice that there did not seem to be much traffic control on what seems to be the north bound side. Other then that seems like a good job done by all Good work.

For your information, I discussed this with the two crews.

What you should understand that Alamo Crews are dispatched through Alamo dispatch also known as "366" before they respond and call out with 911. The call comes in through county and "366"/a dispatcher takes the call logs it in the CAD system while another dispatches it to a crew. There were two crews in Fishkill at the time. The 1st crew to respond was Alamo Medic 23. They responded from your location while they just so happening to be finishing up on a "detail". There was no delay or waiting around. Could they have been possibly acknowledging "366" instead of county when you saw them with their portable radio? The other crew was Alamo Medic 11 who was stationed at 200 Westage Business Center dr. That unit was dispatched and responded without delay. If you would like to discuss this with the crews let me know.

To Photounit, great shots as always. Good video and if you look close you can see one of the best chiefs around. Chief John Lucariello, who is one of the few chiefs that will get in there and get dirty with his boys....and gals.

For your information, I discussed this with the two crews.

What you should understand that Alamo Crews are dispatched through Alamo dispatch also known as "366" before they respond and call out with 911. The call comes in through county and "366"/a dispatcher takes the call logs it in the CAD system while another dispatches it to a crew. There were two crews in Fishkill at the time. The 1st crew to respond was Alamo Medic 23. They responded from your location while they just so happening to be finishing up on a "detail". There was no delay or waiting around. Could they have been possibly acknowledging "366" instead of county when you saw them with their portable radio? The other crew was Alamo Medic 11 who was stationed at 200 Westage Business Center dr. That unit was dispatched and responded without delay. If you would like to discuss this with the crews let me know.

To Photounit, great shots as always. Good video and if you look close you can see one of the best chiefs around. Chief John Lucariello, who is one of the few chiefs that will get in there and get dirty with his boys....and gals.

Just as an addendum to that, the delay is in the area of 30 - 45 seconds.

Question for those on scene:

Is it normal to have the ambulance that close to the vehicles involved, or was there something the pictures dont show correctly?? 3rd or 4th pic looks like the Alamo rig is about 5-10 feet from the car..

Question for those on scene:

Is it normal to have the ambulance that close to the vehicles involved, or was there something the pictures dont show correctly?? 3rd or 4th pic looks like the Alamo rig is about 5-10 feet from the car..

IMO - It was where it needed to be......

Bill I was listening at work to the call sounded very serious and the photos confirm that. Rombout command did and excellent job. The original report was like 5 possible pins, so was it just the drivers???

P.S.

Great photos again.

Mark,

I was hoping someone "In the know" would answer you question rather than I..... I believe only the drivers were actually "pinned"...... They definitely had their hands full..... And Thanks...

About the traffic..... Rte 9 was closed on both sides..... The south by North Highlands FD and the north by Rombout...... The traffic you see is probably what was "trapped" in the accident.... Some decided to wait hoping they would be able to get through in a short time and most eventually gave up and turned around...... So yes, there was traffic control.........