Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NYPD Pizza

16 posts in this topic

I vaguely remember reading about this establishment in the NY Daily News a while ago, at the time it was only one resturant in Florida, I believe and battaling NYPD over the name. My suprise when I was going downtown to check out the new Metro Rail station in Austin that I noticed this, kind of tucked away behind the convention center and large hotel. I'm not sure if it was in business or closed, or opening soon. Tints too dark to see through.

I know some Police Officer's have family who make awesome pies, but I can't see the connection between people who have never even been to NYC and pizza?

post-11-1230061584.jpg

post-11-1230061605.jpg

I don't care what you New Yorkers say.............................

NEW HAVEN PIZZA IS STILL THE BEST!!!!! :P

On the other hand, in New Haven there is a N.H.P.D. Pizzaria. They actually call themselves the New Haven Pizza Department and its actually a decent (not great) pizza.

Izzy, I am inclined to agree with your statement. As someone who has tried both, I must tell you that New Haven pizza is to die for.

I know its off the topic of pizza but, also a New Haven Staple is Lou's lunch

As a lover of a pizza, and having tried a slice in 43 of 50 states I can say that without a doubt anyone that refers to New York in any way shape or means about the pizza is 100% full of poop and wrong. They only add NY in there to make it sell better.

If you want real pizza and thats not even talking good pizza, you can not go anywhere outside of the NYC watershed.

I have never had pizza in New HAven but I am told that it is one of the few places that make it good and make it right.

What is so good about NY pizza as proven somewhere, I wish I knew where, was the fact that the drinking water and the water they sue to cook with contains a special, unique blend of minerals that makes the crust for firm but thin and flakey.

New Haven has amazing Pizza. My grandfather used to deliver bread to Sally's, so I am a bit partial to their pizza, nothing is better than a fresh tomato pie in the summer time.

Also, Lou's Lunch, another staple in New Haven that is worth stopping by. Great burgers, on white bread, but no ketchup, and they will kick you out if you ask for it. Lou's claims to have served america's first burger.

Ok, now I'm getting hungry........

NH pizza is good, but I like NYC pizza a little better. My personal favorite though is a pie from the Colony in Stamford..try the sausage w/stingers. Eat in for the "atmosphere" i.e. gin mill...LOL or take out. The kicker is it's a great pizza made by a bunch of Irishmen...my Goomba ancestors are spinnin'.... :lol:

Stay Safe

Cogs

Happy Holidays all...from my family to yours

Edited by FFPCogs

Hmmmm Colony!!! The make a good pie! I have been to a lot of places in NYC that make a good pie too. Nothing better on a cold day than a slice of cheese and a warm pretzel.

Future, I feel bad for you since Mass' idea of pizza is carboard with Prego sause and cheddar cheese!!! :P

Louis' Lunch (pronounced Lew-ie's) is the original make of the hamburger by far and thye have the gas broilers to prove it, three of them built in 1896 (I beleive if I remember correctly). Served on white toast with either a slice of tomato, cheese spread and a slice of onion, or any single or combination. AND DON'T ASK FOR KETCHUP!!!! Besides going there is all part of the ambiance.

Any one who knows of New Haven pizza has to know of Frank Pepe's Pizza on Wooster Street, just down from Sally's. Mr. Pepe was the originator of the white clam pizza and why did he make it??? Because he was allergic to tomatos and cheese!!!

Anyone who wants to come up and sample our fare, let me know, I'll show yuo all around.

Water does make it different taste, I still think NY has the best pizza and the best pizza I had is straight from its original country in Italy, one whole pie for one person

Johnny's pizza in Mount Vernon on West Lincoln Ave is the best pizza around the home of the thin crust.

Hmmmm Colony!!! The make a good pie! I have been to a lot of places in NYC that make a good pie too. Nothing better on a cold day than a slice of cheese and a warm pretzel.

Any one who knows of New Haven pizza has to know of Frank Pepe's Pizza on Wooster Street, just down from Sally's. Mr. Pepe was the originator of the white clam pizza and why did he make it??? Because he was allergic to tomatos and cheese!!!

We are way off topic now, but Izzy....Pepes? = Good for tourists and T-shirts. They may have been great once, but they are more about location then quality.

Sally's is great, but there are many hurdles to clear in order to get the pie (hours, lines, parking, attitude, rules...)

Overall, the best New Haven pie is on Modern Apizza on State Street.

PS - As a valley guy, no mention of Roseland?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.....

We are way off topic now, but Izzy....Pepes? = Good for tourists and T-shirts. They may have been great once, but they are more about location then quality.

Sally's is great, but there are many hurdles to clear in order to get the pie (hours, lines, parking, attitude, rules...)

Overall, the best New Haven pie is on Modern Apizza on State Street.

PS - As a valley guy, no mention of Roseland?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.....

Modern's Chicken Pizza is the best and for Pepe's you have to eat it there. Location yes but you have to remember that Pepe's has never been perfect either. Also if you want a good pie from Pepe's go to Pepe's the Spot next door, difference is that its not cooked in a brick oven. But any place on Wooster Street is hard to get into.

As for Roseland in Derby, I haven't had a good pie from there in about 15 years and refuse to get another one there ever again.

Seth, to get back on topic and sorry for hijacking the thread let us know how this new place is or if it turns out to be another Pizza Hut / Domino's.

Future, I feel bad for you since Mass' idea of pizza is carboard with Prego sause and cheddar cheese!!! :P

Louis' Lunch (pronounced Lew-ie's) is the original make of the hamburger by far and thye have the gas broilers to prove it, three of them built in 1896 (I beleive if I remember correctly). Served on white toast with either a slice of tomato, cheese spread and a slice of onion, or any single or combination. AND DON'T ASK FOR KETCHUP!!!! Besides going there is all part of the ambiance.

Anyone who wants to come up and sample our fare, let me know, I'll show yuo all around.

Joe, I would be inclined to agree with you with some pizza joints. Some places are actually quite good around here. Most pizza joints have medium thick crust with very oily sauce and shredded mozarella. Basically soft bread with pizza toppings.

HOWEVER, I believe the best pizza comes from Pizzeria Mangia in Lake George NY. Yes, I know it's not from NYC, but the pizza and employees there are great. I ordered a small cheese my last day in Lake George, cook messed up on it by ripping the dough taking it out of the oven, made another and only charged me for 1. He also shook my hand and thanked me for my patronage (I went there everyday I was there and I even tried somewhere else - they didn't even come close)

Mike

AKA EMTBravo's unofficial pizza critic. :P

I vote for Colony, in Stamford. The best around, in my opinion.I highly recomend it. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

If you are looking for the best pizza on the planet, bar none, at the intersection when FDNY Squad 18 and the FDNY TL12 crash a few weeks ago there is this amazing place, no idea the name but it is literally right there. There slices are to die for, and they cost what they should $2 for plain and $3 for toppings.