Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Portable Radios for FF in Hazardous Environments

36 posts in this topic

This sounds like a good idea its the people that go out and buy their own radios and have them programed without the Chief knowing that is usally the problem

Joe that is something we DO NOT ALLOW, no exceptions!!!!

Joe that is something we DO NOT ALLOW, no exceptions!!!!

Its something we may need to look at !!!

Joe - I am SO glad to see you write that..no, I do not have a portable.

I have been a member in JHK for just over one year and have seen more fire here than my last 3 at Millbrook - as an Officer. Not once have I been in a crew, whether it be the roof, or inside, that has been equipped with a portable radio. The fire on Bannister Lane, when we went in, the stereo was still on and playing The Who VERY loud, so I turned it off, just so we could communicate...however, at no time did we have communications with the outside, other than when I hung my head outside the window...VERY SCARY....

I have always made an effort to have a light, and a radio with me at all times...this past year has been trying, but I understand as a new member.

I am very glad that you, as a soon to be Deputy Chief acknowledge their importance..Thank you!

Edited by x129K

Joe - I am SO glad to see you write that..no, I do not have a portable.

I have been a member in JHK for just over one year and have seen more fire here than my last 3 at Millbrook - as an Officer. Not once have I been in a crew, whether it be the roof, or inside, that has been equipped with a portable radio. The fire on Bannister Lane, when we went in, the stereo was still on and playing The Who VERY loud, so I turned it off, just so we could communicate...however, at no time did we have communications with the outside, other than when I hung my head outside the window...VERY SCARY....

I have always made an effort to have a light, and a radio with me at all times...this past year has been trying, but I understand as a new member.

I am very glad that you, as a soon to be Deputy Chief acknowledge their importance..Thank you!

I cant make any promises but i will do what i can and i try never to leave my house without my radio! I will work on it remind me if you dont have one by the end of January. i do beleive radios should be part of the gear especially for interior operations

but as you pointed out im Deputy still have one above me to make decision :lol:

My dept also has an issue with the fact that our first due truck, is the truck that's up and ready to go first, not assigned on a rotating basis or anything like that. Which would mean we'd either need them on every truck, for every member, or we would need to have a full portable set left out them to access, which would leave room for sticky fingers...

My dept also has an issue with the fact that our first due truck, is the truck that's up and ready to go first, not assigned on a rotating basis or anything like that. Which would mean we'd either need them on every truck, for every member, or we would need to have a full portable set left out them to access, which would leave room for sticky fingers...

Why not keep one portable on each truck? You're not working in an environment where getting separated from your crew could get you killed. You just need a portable to reach out to incoming units, the bus, etc. You may not even need a portable. During my little stint with Pleasantville VAC we never had a need for portables since just about every call was a private house with the bus parked in the driveway. If someone needed to reach us between PD, the medic, cops on scene, pagers, and cell phones we were easy to reach.