Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GFD70

YFD Rescue 1

9 posts in this topic

I recently heard that YFD has secured funding to purchase a new rescue. Supposedly it will be similar to the FDNY rescues. Apparently YFD has outgrown it's current Rescue 1. I was wondering if anyone from Yonkers had anymore info on this.

R1,

Couldnt you gain that space back by making the cab a two door and extending the body up, thereby giving you more compartments on the outside so you arent losing by putting a walk through?

As he works on YFD R1, he would be the best to know. I am not sure if ALF makes an efficient "Walk Through" that ALSO provides the compartment space that the members of YFD R1 require for all of the Equipment they carry on that rig. But a "Walk Through" similiar to that of what FDNY has might be the answer. (a compatable 2005 Rig to the Old YFD R1 Mack Box)??? E-One makes a nice one? Salisbury maybe? Any comment my good friend R1SmokeEater?

As far as the "Walk Through" design rescues if you remember FDNY tried to get away from the guys hanging around in the back of the rig and place them in seats but it didn't work and went back to the "Walk Through" with the guys riding in the back.

If Yonkers likes the style they have then they should stick with it. Not sure what they carry but if they are carrying Hazmat stuff then that takes up a lot of room. FDNY rescues limit that kind of stuff.

The current Yonkers Resuce One, is only four years old. Why replace it so quickly

The current Yonkers Resuce One, is only four years old. Why replace it so quickly

Yes, the rig is only 4 years old, but it has 44, 000 Miles on it (remember it covers the entire city) and currently, YFD is using a Spare Ladder Truck as its Spare as the Old Spare R1 is not adequate enough anymore to hold everything that is needed on the rig. With the mileage and needed additional space, Yonkers is getting the funding to replace the current YFD Rescue 1 (ALF Eagle HD Rescue) with a new rig either late 2005 or early 2006