Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fsw1970

EMS question

9 posts in this topic

I remember 2 private ambulance services in Westchester county, that I haven't seen or heard any mention of them on this site or any other. I'm assuming they are probably out of business. I can't remember the names of them(I burned up too many brain cells in my younger days!), but hopefully someone will be able to tell who I'm talking about.

One was based out of White Plains, over by old sta 4 I think, and provided weekday services to the Port Chester-Rye VAC coverage area(amoungst others), when PCR was still all volunteer. The other was based out Elmsford, or right around there, and was white w/ gold & blue stripes(I think). I used to have some pics of rigs from both, but, alas, I decided at one point, that I didn't want to keep pics of private ambos anymore, and gave them away. Yes I know, dumb move.

Edited by fsw1970

I remember 2 private ambulance services in Westchester county, that I haven't seen or heard any mention of them on this site or any other. I'm assuming they are probably out of business. I can't remember the names of them(I burned up too many brain cells in my younger days!), but hopefully someone will be able to tell who I'm talking about.

One was based out of White Plains, over by old sta 4 I think, and provided weekday services to the Port Chester-Rye VAC coverage area(amoungst others), when PCR was still all volunteer. The other was based out Elmsford, or right around there, and was white w/ gold & blue stripes(I think). I used to have some pics of rigs from both, but, alas, I decided at one point, that I didn't want to keep pics of private ambos anymore, and gave them away. Yes I know, dumb move.

#1 Abbey Richmond Amb, they were sold to Transcare

#2 Westchester Amb. which has become Westchester EMS (not the same company, but there CON, I believe) in Mt. Kisco.

Ambassador Ambulance and Empire State Ambulance operated out of a garage on North Lawn St. in Elmsford around 1997. Empire State's rigs were white with blue and gold.

Wasn't AA or Affiliated based up here in those days - before Affilliated merged with NY Ambulance and moved down to Yonkers?

IIRC, The Mt Kisco based outfit was A-1 Ambulance, back in the 70's.

I don't know what happened to them since.

IIRC, The Mt Kisco based outfit was A-1 Ambulance, back in the 70's.

I don't know what happened to them since.

A-1 sold their license to someone... I'm trying to remember to whom. It may have been to the original Hudson Valley Ambulance but I'm not sure.

#1 Abbey Richmond Amb, they were sold to Transcare

#2 Westchester Amb. which has become Westchester EMS (not the same company, but there CON, I believe) in Mt. Kisco.

Yep those sound right. Thanks. I'm thinking the West Amb garage was in the shadow of either 287, or the Saw Mill.

Now does anyone have any poics of their ambos, and when did they go out of business?

A-1 sold their license to someone... I'm trying to remember to whom. It may have been to the original Hudson Valley Ambulance but I'm not sure.

A-1 and Hudson Valley Ambulance were purchased by Dean Sloane forming Community Medical Transport. The company's corporate hq was on Gannett Drive in White Plains. Mr. Sloane managed to run the company into the ground and it went belly up back in 2001. The licences were then sold off the A-1/Century license was sold to Rockland Mobile Care who sold off the Northern Westchester, and Putnam and Dutchess licences to New York Presbyterian Hospital. The Hudson Valley licenses were sold to MetroCare/Transcare that is how they got the licenses to operate in Putnam,Dutchess,Ulster,Sullivan,etc.

I have pictures of the WAS ambulances, but would need to scan them in. I think I have pictures of both the old (White with Yellow/Orange/Brown striping) and the newer versions (White with Magenta striping). I'll try to remember to do it but don't hold your breath waiting. A PM reminder in a day or two might be useful if you don't see anything by then.