Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tapout

Firefighters Vote to Work 1 Shift Without Pay

17 posts in this topic

From today's Lohud...

YONKERS - The Yonkers firefighters union overwhelmingly approved a plan to work one shift without pay as part of a deal that would restore jobs or ranks for 12 members of the fire department who were laid off or demoted due to the city's budget cuts.

http://lohud.com/article/20090113/NEWS02/9...18/-1/newsfront

My question and confusion is from the perspective of an employer: 1 unpaid shift per what period of time? Per week, month, or just 1 as though they are giving up a vacation or sick day (without actually working)? And if said FF does work on that "free" day" and is hurt during that unpaid shift, is he/she still covered by worker's comp and associated LOD benefits as though he is a full-time employee?

Please clarify and forgive the ignorance. Thanks.

Donna

Edited by xfirefighter484x
Edited to Comply to EMTBravo Article Posting Requirements

Frist I would like to say that its great that the brothers of YO stuck toghter and voted yes. I would have done the same thing!!! The only thing that concerns me is, what happens when Yonkers or any city in Westchester has budget problems again. "Lets lay off the Firefighters,they stick toghter and will take of it on their own". Who is to say that other municipalities won't see this and then use it as an example and try to lay off FFs or cops.

Edited by DR104

Frist I would like to say that its great that the brothers of YO stuck toghter and voted yes. I would have done the same thing!!! The only thing that concerns me is, what happens when Yonkers or any city in Westchester has budget problems again. "Lets lay off the Firefighters,they stick toghter and will take of it on their own". Who is to say that other municipalities won't see this and then use it as an example and try to lay off FFs or cops.

Municipalities are always going to try and lay off cops and firemen ( i'll leave EMS out because 99.99% of municipalities already throw that to the lowest bidder). The problem is that many departments do their job so well that the government and populous think that they don't need them at their current capacity any more. So it's a fight against sheer ignorance, a truly uphill battle - something that will likely never change.

Edited by Goose

In this "get mine" society, even in unions I commend the YFD for taking this vote to help thier fellow union members.

I think this is a horrible precedent to set. It may have consequences County and State wide, empowering politicians to threaten layoffs for ther lack of budgeting or staffing. Every small job or municipality will say Yonkers did it so can we. I think if all three unions stuck together and played hard ball it would of been a different outcome. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck to the rest of the demoted Lt's on the YFD I hope you get your positions back quickly.

From some of the Yonkers guys, did it surprise you the 45 dissenters? Or was that expected?

Also, and as usual, some 'interesting' comments on the LoHud blog.

Many departments already have contractual "give back" days. This is not an entirely new concept though the threat of layoffs is an egregious form of political manipulation in order to get unions to concede these points.

I fully understand the need for budget cuts. I just find it hard to believe that nobody in City Hall is getting a pink slip while the two most essential services are being carved up.

As for the FF working without pay, he should be fully covered by all benefits during that contractual "give back" day. Can anyone from Yonkers confirm that?

As for the FF working without pay, he should be fully covered by all benefits during that contractual "give back" day. Can anyone from Yonkers confirm that?

Chris,

Yes, any FF or Fire Officer who works their "chart day", (as it is actually referred to in the contract) will be fully covered, as if they were working their normal tour of duty.

I think this is a horrible precedent to set. It may have consequences County and State wide, empowering politicians to threaten layoffs for ther lack of budgeting or staffing. Every small job or municipality will say Yonkers did it so can we. I think if all three unions stuck together and played hard ball it would of been a different outcome. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck to the rest of the demoted Lt's on the YFD I hope you get your positions back quickly.

You make valid points and I am not going to argue with you over your opinion. I respect it.

My 2 cents: I wish everything could return to as it was before 1/2/09 for everyone's sake but it doesn't appear that it will as of now.

6 FF's are now out of work with no income and 17 Lt.s have been demoted to the rank of FF. If having to work one chart tour helps 6 of my fellow co-workers and brothers to be re-promoted and 6 of them re-hired, so they can support themselves and their families, I don't mind doing it at all. I look at it, what if I were in their shoes what would I do. I wonder how many people currently laid off in the private sector wish they could have had an opportunity that we were able to give our fellow co-workers/brothers?

The way the national and state economies are circling the drain right now, we may have only put off the inevitable till June/July (unless NYS gets aid from the Feds). I hope and pray that I am wrong. But at least the 6 re-hires get an income for the next 5-6 months and can plan accordingly, if the worst case scenario should happen again, which I hope it does not. The city will be in a better position to try to offset the projected 105 million (if it is really that) projected deficit. But how much can they really raise taxes? Giving what is going on right now, can you see Yonkers homeowners, get hit with a large tax increase come July, they will go ballistic and how does the homeowner who recently lost his/her job afford to pay that or any tax increase for that matter?

What is going on right now in this country economically has never been seen by most of us, and most likely you would have to go back to several generations to relatives of ours that have seen anything worse.

The ironic thing is, all of us in Public Safety are sworn to protect serve and help the people who live in our respective communities and for the most part are total strangers to us; but when it comes to our fellow co-workers and basically our 2nd Family we turn our backs on them? I for one can't.

Private sector union companies will often vote to take pay cuts when the employing company is in financial straits and wants layoffs. This is new to the public sector possibly. This is just a form of pay cut. So basically the firefighters think its better to get a pay cut than layoffs.

Call it what you want, but it comes down to is giving up 1 tour of overtime to get our brothers working again. My only regret about this is that they are not restoring all the demoted Lts. only 6. We need our brothers back in the firehouse period.

You make valid points and I am not going to argue with you over your opinion. I respect it.

My 2 cents: I wish everything could return to as it was before 1/2/09 for everyone's sake but it doesn't appear that it will as of now.

6 FF's are now out of work with no income and 17 Lt.s have been demoted to the rank of FF. If having to work one chart tour helps 6 of my fellow co-workers and brothers to be re-promoted and 6 of them re-hired, so they can support themselves and their families, I don't mind doing it at all. I look at it, what if I were in their shoes what would I do. I wonder how many people currently laid off in the private sector wish they could have had an opportunity that we were able to give our fellow co-workers/brothers?

The way the national and state economies are circling the drain right now, we may have only put off the inevitable till June/July (unless NYS gets aid from the Feds). I hope and pray that I am wrong. But at least the 6 re-hires get an income for the next 5-6 months and can plan accordingly, if the worst case scenario should happen again, which I hope it does not. The city will be in a better position to try to offset the projected 105 million (if it is really that) projected deficit. But how much can they really raise taxes? Giving what is going on right now, can you see Yonkers homeowners, get hit with a large tax increase come July, they will go ballistic and how does the homeowner who recently lost his/her job afford to pay that or any tax increase for that matter?

What is going on right now in this country economically has never been seen by most of us, and most likely you would have to go back to several generations to relatives of ours that have seen anything worse.

The ironic thing is, all of us in Public Safety are sworn to protect serve and help the people who live in our respective communities and for the most part are total strangers to us; but when it comes to our fellow co-workers and basically our 2nd Family we turn our backs on them? I for one can't.

I agree and respect your departments decision and I am fully aware of the sad situation, but my opionion is that there are ways to help out laid off brothers and sisters without giving in to city halls demands. Unity among 3 unions is stronger than one. Good luck in your departments endeavors.

It's a real terrible position to be in, but I feel that unless you have had to make that decision for yourself, it is very hard to fully grasp the gravity of the situation.

I commend the Yonkers brothers for taking a bold step, and I condemn the politicians for using such leverage.

i commend the guys of the local that came threw for the brothers!!!!!!! i think we all would have done the same thing!

It is an interesting precedent, definitely. I have to admit, that if I was put in that position, I'd do the same thing. Yes, there are other ways to look out for your brethren, but if this keeps someone from losing their job, I'm all for it. Nice work YFD.

An important distinction to make is this was a one time thing. They didn't give up one day a year. For this to happen again it would have to go before the members. At least this way they have some measure of control.