Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sleepy Hollow ambulance corps member crashes official vehicle, charged with DWI

80 posts in this topic

"this could have been well beyond their control" ... I fail to see the logic. If its beyond their control then maybe its time for some control. I think there's a clear need for change. EMS is a serious business, not a clubhouse with an ambulance.

Is there a real need for BLS fylycars in a village of Sleepy Hollow's size?

Can you be a little more specific? Do you mean size as in population or sq miles?

A. I don't know about everybody else, but most of the patients I come in contact with think my volunteer crew is a paid crew. Most think we're crazy to volunteer but 99.8% of them appreciate the fact that we are as professional as we are.

B. People do stupid things in every occupation.

Do the people in the investment business feel Madoff is a black eye for their business?

Can you be a little more specific? Do you mean size as in population or sq miles?

It's a fair question - how about BOTH.

As for this incident, an intoxicated "employee" stole a vehicle and crashed it. He was charged with unauthorized use and DWI. How much more Sleepy Hollow could have done to prevent this is beyond me unless a problem in the "hiring" process allowed someone into the agency who should have been identified as a problem earlier - and we'll never know that.

Is there a real need for BLS fylycars in a village of Sleepy Hollows size?

And what is the purpose of the fly car anyway ? Go to the station and help staff the Bus. Are they that overstaffed with members that they need additional to the scene ?

What exactly is its purpose and who uses it ?

When you get a DWI can you lose your EMT or EMT-P certification? I beleve in NYS you can lose or get your RN licence suspended if convicted.

Edited by DR104

-------- NOPE ------------

It's a fair question - how about BOTH.

As for this incident, an intoxicated "employee" stole a vehicle and crashed it. He was charged with unauthorized use and DWI. How much more Sleepy Hollow could have done to prevent this is beyond me unless a problem in the "hiring" process allowed someone into the agency who should have been identified as a problem earlier - and we'll never know that.

Just to let you know, the subject in question was NOT an "employee" he was a volunteer. I do not believe there is a "hiring process" for volunteers. Changes should be considered.

And what is the purpose of the fly car anyway ? Go to the station and help staff the Bus. Are they that overstaffed with members that they need additional to the scene ?

What exactly is its purpose and who uses it ?

Apparantly the purpose is so transportation to Yankee games, the grocery store and general personal use can be provided.

I'd bet my next paycheck that there are more NON-EMS / NON-Fire related miles on those cars as opposed to using the car for its intended purpose such as EMS and Fire emergencies.

I wonder how many miles carrer staff put on department vehicles and fuel usage for runs to the store for food during the average shift.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME PROFESION WE NEED TO START WORKING TOGEATHER AND STOP PLAYING CARRER VS VOLUNTEER SINCE ALL THAT SEEMS TO BE DOING IS CAUSING MORE PROBLEMS

I wonder how many miles carrer staff put on department vehicles and fuel usage for runs to the store for food during the average shift.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME PROFESION WE NEED TO START WORKING TOGEATHER AND STOP PLAYING CARRER VS VOLUNTEER SINCE ALL THAT SEEMS TO BE DOING IS CAUSING MORE PROBLEMS

Yes, people are entitled to eat during your 8, 12 or 24 hour shift so getting a meal is considered acceptable. Driving to a Yankee game, and being completely unavailable for an EMS or Fire emergency, is an abuse of taxpayer money.

"this could have been well beyond their control" ... I fail to see the logic. If its beyond their control then maybe its time for some control. I think there's a clear need for change. EMS is a serious business, not a clubhouse with an ambulance.

I said "COULD HAVE", meaning that we don't know all the facts yet, so all we can do is speculate as to how to correct the problem, if there even was one. Even the best agencies with the strictest rules have issues. Quite obviously, Sleepy Hollow needs to respond to the media with more force, and that is just my opinion. They need to hire a consullting firm to do an independent evaluation on these types of personel issues that they have, so at the very least they have something to start with and show the citizens/media that they are accepting this and looking to prevent it in the future. Sleepy Hollow VAC has done a TON to turn itself around from previous years, and this one persons indiscretion shouldn't completly distract from that.

I agree EMS is serious business, but beyond that, it is a professional service that no one truly wants to pay for. And, honestly, you get what you pay for. In these days of poor municipal funding for EMS-if any, little medicare reimbursment, rising fuel costs, a service who's patient population consists mostly of illegal & legal immigrants and senior citizens, I'm sure volunteers get burnt out fast. So do paid EMT's. Add in little community support, and you have an ambulance services struggling to survive, and get the ambulance out the door any way they can. Add into that the personal investment of the hundreds of hours of training.

Until EMS becomes some sort of muncipal agency or consortium with strong leadership and community support, with civil service employees that are paid and given benefits that parity firefighters and police officers, nothing in Westchester is going to change anytime soon.

Please, let's knock off the debate about who should have flycars or chiefs vehicles, etc, and who shouldn't, because that's really irrelevant to this incident. If you wish to disucss the flycar issue, you should start a seperate thread.

Any further discussion on the above is subject to seperation into another thread or deletion.

Just to let you know, the subject in question was NOT an "employee" he was a volunteer. I do not believe there is a "hiring process" for volunteers. Changes should be considered.

In the eyes of the OSHA and others, members are "employees" (hence the quotes) and if a volunter agency doesn't have a "hiring process" or screening/membership process they should.

It is time for a change (where have I heard that lately?). Agencies, volunteeer or otherwise, need to start taking their responsibilities seriously and realize that they are an employer even if they don't pay people and they have customers who are their constituency. It is going to be hard to solicit donations or lobby for tax increases when issues like this arise.

In the eyes of the OSHA and others, members are "employees" (hence the quotes) and if a volunter agency doesn't have a "hiring process" or screening/membership process they should.

It is time for a change (where have I heard that lately?). Agencies, volunteeer or otherwise, need to start taking their responsibilities seriously and realize that they are an employer even if they don't pay people and they have customers who their constituency.

This scenario could have played out in almost literally any agency. An intoxicated 'employee' or 'volunteer' shows up and has access to where the keys are kept. Could have been in the middle of the night at a volunteer station (perhaps unoccupied) or a career station (on duty crew asleep). This could even have occurred at most police stations. Middle of the night, minimum staffing, slip in and grab keys.

Even if the keys were locked up, as an employee or volunteer, the subject most likely would have routine access to them.

This scenario could have played out in almost literally any agency. An intoxicated 'employee' or 'volunteer' shows up and has access to where the keys are kept. Could have been in the middle of the night at a volunteer station (perhaps unoccupied) or a career station (on duty crew asleep). This could even have occurred at most police stations. Middle of the night, minimum staffing, slip in and grab keys.

Even if the keys were locked up, as an employee or volunteer, the subject most likely would have routine access to them.

Very true!

As ALS pointed out, who among us has not made the mistake of having a drink or two too many before getting behind the wheel? I know it has certainly happened to me where I got home and realized I shouldn't have driven. Yes there is a difference between having a drink too many at diner and stealing a vehicle from your VAC but his crime was as severe as some are making this out to be.

Seth, if you want to keep this thread to pertinent info then why the rant about you recording conversations about someone badmouthing you? Who cares? People talk and most talk feces.

You can misdemeanor to your hearts content and not lose your card. Catch the right felony and you'll be all right too. Violent crimes and drug distribution offenses are the only automatic exclusions I'm aware of and I'm sure someone somewhere has gotten around those.

He screwed up and will pay a penalty and he'll be ousted from SHVAC. Luckily the only damage is too an old caprice. Maybe he learns from this and it motivates him to change or maybe he doesn't, but either way he's not first one to screw up and certainly will not be the last.

Professionals and volleys abuse drugs and alcohol. For every story of one side I'm sure you can find one on the other.

As ALS pointed out, who among us has not made the mistake of having a drink or two too many before getting behind the wheel? I know it has certainly happened to me where I got home and realized I shouldn't have driven. Yes there is a difference between having a drink too many at diner and stealing a vehicle from your VAC but his crime was as severe as some are making this out to be.

Seth, if you want to keep this thread to pertinent info then why the rant about you recording conversations about someone badmouthing you? Who cares? People talk and most talk feces.

You can misdemeanor to your hearts content and not lose your card. Catch the right felony and you'll be all right too. Violent crimes and drug distribution offenses are the only automatic exclusions I'm aware of and I'm sure someone somewhere has gotten around those.

He screwed up and will pay a penalty and he'll be ousted from SHVAC. Luckily the only damage is too an old caprice. Maybe he learns from this and it motivates him to change or maybe he doesn't, but either way he's not first one to screw up and certainly will not be the last.

Professionals and volleys abuse drugs and alcohol. For every story of one side I'm sure you can find one on the other.

Well, if you are convicted of misdemeanors or felonies and try to take an EMT course you can't sign the application for emergency medical services certification and the state then needs to review your case.

Not sure how reporting works for currently certified individuals (not applicable in this particular situation, though). I assume someone would need to contact EMS.

To clarify, I was sent a video of an incident in which I was mentioned during a event, in addition to being told by numerous different people about things said at various times over the past few years. I never recorded anybody's conversations. My point being is that people can be your friend one minute in Westchester, yet the next day turn around and stab you in the back. So many people claimed to be Aaron's friend as is obvious by his Facebook page, yet now no one wants anything to do with him. Obviously, he made a serious mistake, but the people around him need to stick by him, especially now. I wonder if there's anyone thinking how they can get Arron the help he probaly needs. My comment was because I was irritated that this person who embelishes himself is in that position to do so, yet has decided to all of a sudden be this person's worst critic. I'm going to end it at that.

Also, Sleepy Hollow VAC has really come a long way in recent years, and is one of the better VAC's in the county. This incident shouldn't grey that out.

Yes, people are entitled to eat during your 8, 12 or 24 hour shift so getting a meal is considered acceptable. Driving to a Yankee game, and being completely unavailable for an EMS or Fire emergency, is an abuse of taxpayer money.

I can't take my STATE vehicle to get a meal so its in how you look at it I have this realy cool item called a lunch box. I carry enough food for 16 hours of work at all times since I can get stuck at work with out warning. So I see a fire vehicle used to get a meal as a waste of taxpayer money

Edited by 64FFMJK

Unless it is Fire-based EMS, there is very little, if any, tax dollar going into EMS in Westchester. There is a reason that EMS does 10x the calls of fire, yet our toys (vehicles) cost 10%.

And I have to say, I am amazed at the direction that this discussion has taken. Here is one of our "brothers" who obviously has a problem, and has made some bad decisions. He needed help, and didn't get it. I might be as guilty as the next guy, I did little to help him when he was under my command. But it is the nature of volunteering in Westchester. We don't have health benefits, human resources, or other fancy things that you would need to give him the help he needed. We need manpower so bad that we take the people least suited to provide it.

Now he is in trouble, and people are blaming Sleepy Hollow? What about the story about a firefighter that went joyriding with a girl and flipped the engine? I didn't see a single post about "how he got the keys. Heck, people even defended him. This is a terrible situation, one that will have lifelong consequences for someone we would have called a "brother" last week. And if you guys want to see how others view us, take a look at the lohud comments. These people thought/felt this way about us before some guy crashed a used police car. Why?

Edited by mfkap

And I have to say, I am amazed at the direction that this discussion has taken. Here is one of our "brothers" who obviously has a problem, and has made some bad decisions.

But was this "brother" thinking about the his other "brothers" and the shadow it would cast over them before this happend???

He needed help, and didn't get it. I might be as guilty as the next guy, I did little to help him when he was under my command. But it is the nature of volunteering in Westchester. We don't have health benefits, human resources, or other fancy things that you would need to give him the help he needed. We need manpower so bad that we take the people least suited to provide it.

I dont recall them asking for payment at the door of an AA meeting. And the amount of money yht estate and counties invest if alcohol and drug treatment for those with lil to no income will surpise you.

Now he is in trouble, and people are blaming Sleepy Hollow? What about the story about a firefighter that went joyriding with a girl and flipped the engine? I didn't see a single post about "how he got the keys. Heck, people even defended him. This is a terrible situation, one that will have lifelong consequences for someone we would have called a "brother" last week. And if you guys want to see how others view us, take a look at the lohud comments. These people thought/felt this way about us before some guy crashed a used police car. Why?

Well gee, Im a member of the volunteer services and I have had this opinion towards certain memebers of some depts. Yeah the drunks that everyone loves to complain about but do s*** about. You should be grateful someone isnt burying a family member who's stupidity killed them or worse an innocent victim. [quote]

Law Enforcement?

Do you drive a patrol car?

How many stops do you make?

as for the "Enough is Enough" tell me were you work and i will come be a volunteer at your job starting Monday!

as for the "Enough is Enough" tell me were you work and i will come be a volunteer at your job starting Monday!

I don't think you will do it !!!!! Or will you put your money where your mouth is ???

I don't think you will do it !!!!! Or will you put your money where your mouth is ???

got my lunch packed!

Sure see you Monday

New York State Deptartment of Corrections MAXIMUM security prison / Downstate Correctional facility

If you can make it past the gate

Edited by 64FFMJK

I don't understand why some are making light of DUI's and DWI's.

If he had run over an 8 year old girl, I think we'd all be on the same page. He happened to make it back safely and now some are pretending like he's got some disease he needs treatment for? What he needed was a set of shiny handcuffs, which is exactly what he got. Now he needs the biggest book available to be thrown at him. Its absurd behavior regardless of whether or not he's a volunteer.

Not everyone drives under the influence either, that's nonsense. Many choose not to drink and drive. Do a lot of people do it? Yeah, but that doesn't make it any less of a crime. It doesn't diminish that its a poor choice with possibly deadly consequences.

Wow, what a thread.

Obviously what this kid did was morally reprehensible and illegal. Clearly Sleepy Hollow needs to better restrict who has access to the building and the keys. I would like to know what possesed him to go and steal the vehicle in the first place. Something else that is morally reprehensible and should be illegal is how far some fire/ems vehicles end up out of their response district. Yes, I know that there are various meetings and training events that may be some distance away, but sporting events, beach trips and so on?

But while reading this thread, several comments jump out at me. Why anyone would admit that they have driven a car while impared on a public website? Another one was someone saying they had recorded conversations about this kid involved and another person. Brilliant. And what about everyone gushing with care and concern about how he is sick and needs help and it's not his fault? If you can't control yourself when you drink, DON'T!

Edited by 23piraf