Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Dutchess County PSD Exam

22 posts in this topic

Dan if I am reading the announcement correctly it is for the City, not DC911 and I see there is another one for a PSD Tr. also., are there any openings in the City and will they be filled?

It is the COUNTY list....from which DC and City 911 pull from...as far as I know...maybe someone with more inside knowledge can shed some light onto it...

Yes, we have opening, and yes, they will be filled. We have been working short staffed for some time now.

Signed up for both County and City. County is PSD Trainee and City 911 is PSD. $15 fee for apllication processing.

Edited by SPFC56-233

Signed up for both County and City. County is PSD Trainee and City 911 is PSD. $15 fee for apllication processing.

You had to sign up for/pay for both? - man...when I took it it was one county test....all inclusive.

You had to sign up for/pay for both? - man...when I took it it was one county test....all inclusive.

Same here, actually had the official title of 14-29 for a day back in 99 when the 911 center expanded, but decided to stay at TDDSO :rolleyes:

Lunchbox give me a call at somepoint today I'm curious about how you signed up for both. I spoke with the City Sgt. and I have some questions. Chris

Well...as pointed out it appears that the "Public Safety Dispatcher' exam is for the Poughkeepsie City list and "Public Safety Dispatcher Trainee" is the Dutchess 911 list...

I STRONGLY urge ALL canidates to take BOTH exams!

March is usually the month for Public Safety/911 Dispatcher tests. In addition to Dutchess, several other Counties are offering tests.

Orange County

911 Dispatcher http://www.co.orange.ny.us/documentView.asp?docid=5584

Local Police dispatcher http://www.co.orange.ny.us/documentView.asp?docid=5585

Sullivan County

911 Dispatcher http://www.scgnet.us/sd_specs.asp?ID=542

Greene County

911 Dispatcher http://00644c9.netsolhost.com/documents/EM...PATCHER2008.doc

Edited by EJS1810

From my understanding both Applications are for the same test. The applications are only thing that is separate. Each app is $15.

Lunchbox give me a call at somepoint today I'm curious about how you signed up for both. I spoke with the City Sgt. and I have some questions. Chris

You working?

From my understanding both Applications are for the same test. The applications are only thing that is separate. Each app is $15.

You working?

Working right now, call police line 845-451-4000 your inbox is full. Thanks

How can you take both tests if they are on the same day???

Thomas

Thomas

Generally the same test, your scores are just sent to all agencies who you paid the fee to.

If someone who never took it which one would you all recomend and where can you get a study guide??? Thanks in advance.

Thomas

If someone who never took it which one would you all recommend and where can you get a study guide??? Thanks in advance.

Thomas

There is only one exam for Public Safety Dispatcher, If you google civil service study guides or check your local book store there are books out there. I do not recall if there is one that is specific to dispatching. I know there are Firefighter and Police Officer books. The dispatcher exam covers a little bit of everything from map reading, listening comprehension, Reading comprehension. Some Common Sense type questions. The Dutchess County Personnel office may have something as well. Any Questions I will be glad to assist. X129K will also i'm sure as well. Chris Bodin

Edited by snkbitn

Go to Amazon.com and search dispatcher study guide I found one for Public Safety Dispatcher I. It will be similar and OK to read, just keep in mind, New York did not create the study guide you may find the test completely different.

Thomas

When you file, cross file for the other tests. You will probably have to pay for multiple filings

Just some clarification, there is one test to take. There are two agencies in Dutchess County where you can apply for. The City of Poughkeepsie 911 Center and The Dutchess County 911 Center. If you wish to be on the list for "both" agencies then you need to request both applications and pay the fee for each. ($15.00 each) In the past you only had to apply to take the test and be on one list. This is no longer the case, you need to apply for each seperate agency. If you would like to be considered for employment. Any Questions please let me know. Chris Bodin Senior Public Safety Dispatcher, City of Poughkeepsie 911.

Please POST the test announcements in your Fire Departments, Police Departments, and EMS Agencies.

here is the link:Dutchess County Personnel Exam List

There is only one exam for Public Safety Dispatcher, If you google civil service study guides or check your local book store there are books out there. I do not recall if there is one that is specific to dispatching. I know there are Firefighter and Police Officer books. The dispatcher exam covers a little bit of everything from map reading, listening comprehension, Reading comprehension. Some Common Sense type questions. The Dutchess County Personnel office may have something as well. Any Questions I will be glad to assist. X129K will also i'm sure as well. Chris Bodin

Take it from a guy who has taken multiple dispatcher tests over the years.....If you have common sense you can pass. Just pay attention to the details!

Question: Does the city still hire part-timers? I'm pretty sure the county does not.