Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

What Equipment Does YOUR F.A.S.T.eam Carry?

34 posts in this topic

The stokes/skeds are great for certian situations. If you have time to package the DFF and the room to use then by all means go ahead. But my idea of FAST is A quik assesment of the FF and get him on air if he needs it and get them the hell out. To to the Harness FAST setup is much easier and leass cumbersome than brining in a stokes. I would imagine it would be a different crew bring in the stokes cuase you sure as hell cant do a search with it. If you have a situation where you have the time and need to secure the FF in a stokes great but 9times outta 10 it will be in a bad working enviorment, so the best option is to get him on air secure the harness(however you do it wether it be webbing or The pack) and get them out. By the time the stokes shows up it could be too late.

My fellow member Tanker10engr is correct a basement job where you have to pull him threw the floor might the stokes than be considered, but I feel the stokes is just a way to carry equipment more than anything else.

We recently did a drill that our friends from FDNY showed us a cool and neat little packaging trick with webbing and the FFS harness including the pack as well.

Also on a side note I have noticed these DRD drag rescue devices in the turnout coats are great but some members have taken them out cuase they feel it restricts them so keep that in mind, just cuase they have it displayed doesnt mean there there for your convience to use LOL. Stupid I think if its for your safety where it.

Our team in my county responds to the scene in our POV's with SCBA, turnouts, and portable radios. The Fire Coordinator carries the TIC, gas meter, ID covers for the SCBA tanks, and basic tools like Irons, ropes, webbing, and hardware. We "Acquire" ladders, saws, stokes, and what not from the responding rigs.

We are required to have Firefighter I, Firefighter Survival and 5 years as an interior firefighter with a Class "A" Interior Firefighter Medical Clearance. We than are asked to take FAST training at the academy when we can.

We have had one call as a team so far where a firefighter twisted their ankle and fell on a rear porch roof, breaking their ankle. We had to extricate them from the roof via stokes basket.

Thanks for the info Moose - which of course leads me to another question...

The SCBA covers....do they cover the on/off knob and the HP hose/bottle connection? If the do - that is ludacris! I am not a fan of them at all.

20040809052746_Photo2.jpg

Thanks for the info Moose - which of course leads me to another question...

The SCBA covers....do they cover the on/off knob and the HP hose/bottle connection? If the do - that is ludacris! I am not a fan of them at all.

20040809052746_Photo2.jpg

On our bottles they do not cover anything but the bottle itself and everything is still accessible and functional. We were concerned with this issue as well and we researched the different styles and sizes. If you get the appropriate cover made for your brand and model of air pack than you will be safe.