Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pvfdtowman

Mohegan Lake Asst Chief accused of improper business practices

35 posts in this topic

In a sole proprietorship and in a parnership the owner(s) are responsible. Since the court judgements have been made the personal belongings including his home and everything in it can be seized. If he claimed bankruptcy before the courts were involved in the lawsuits it would have been a slightly different issue. They can and probably will take everything from him unless he has the estimated 60000 something dollars laying around. The fact that his name is not written on there does not matter - he is listed as the owner of the company and he will be held accountable no matter what.

Don't be so sure. If he was smart (which this report casts doubts upon) he likely incorporated as an LLC or similar setup. Limited Liability Corporations are setup SPECIFICALLY to shield the personal assets of the owner from bankruptcy and the like. Of course the court MIGHT be able to intervene but in all likelihood he might get off scott free and not have to pay a dime if he did the paperwork right.

I really could care less if he's a firefighter, the bottom line is that he is ripping people off and doing shoddy work when he does do it. After people see and hear about this I really don't think he's going to have to worry about too many people calling him for estimates any more. The bottom line is MAN UP AND PAY WHAT YOU OWE !!!!!!!

From what I remember from the news story, this particular individual already has a judgment against him. He (the fire chief) therefore already had an opportunity to have his side of the story heard. Though a contempt citation is unlikely in these types of cases, I agree that the plaintiff/judgment-creditor should exercise his rights to freeze the defendant/fire chief's bank account and repossess any of the defendant/fire chief's possessions or anything that he may have an interest in...

Insofar as the volunteer fire company involved here, I think that a Code of Ethics should be adopted to ensure that no one abuses their power. If one is already in place, I am sure that the Mohegan will act accordingly, providing the fire chief with due process of law.

Here my .02 --- Again we are held to a higher standard then the general public. end of sentence. Bad business practices?? I guess so!! Is he or will he be in charge of budgets in the department?? Then his business practices do come into question. You have to remember some one is watching some place/ some where. We deal with public funds and public opinion, they all figure into our fire service lives, just do the right thing you cant go wrong with that advice.

"WAS" is correct, depending on how his business is incorporated and such he can declare bankruptcy on his business and get off without his personal assets being touched. Now if he did what was stated, used his position as an Assistant Chief to get business and then did crap work and in some cases no work and took money as the report shows then correct Shame on him. Too bad for his family.