Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markmets415

The Passing of Lewis Schultz - 60 Year Member of the Millerton Fire Dept.

9 posts in this topic

It is with deep regret that I announce the passing of Lewis Schultz, 79 a 60+ year member of the Millerton Fire Dept. We in Eastern Dutchess County know the Schultz family well; their family has deep roots to the town as well as the Fire Service. His son David, a past Fire Chief and current Dutchess County Car that heads the fire investigation division and son Jimmy, a past Asst. Chief are very active in the department. You could always count on the elder Schultz for a delightful breakfast at the departments monthly pancake breakfast.

Here is a link from the Poughkeepsie Journal when Mr. Schultz was honored as one the 20 heroes area firefighters and police officers were recognized by the Exchange Club of Southern Dutchess Tuesday as part of the annual Salute to Dutchess County Heroes, five years ago.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/projects/gallery/dcheroes/

So to the Schultz family, the Millerton Fire Department and the Town of Northeast we send our condolences; our thoughts and prayers are with you all, the members of the Wassaic Fire Company Inc.

Further details regarding the arrangements will be announced

Thoughts and prayers from the JHK Shultz's (no relation)

I just want to thank everyone that has sent their condolences to my family. Things happened fast, my family and I made sure he wasn't alone, and now there is no more pain for him which we are as happy about as we can be.

Again, thanks to all who have posted, it's been rough since last night and it's going to be rough for a while.

Edited by FiftyOnePride

Lew allways had kind words to say. Having sat and talked with him on many occasions there allways was a lesson to be learned if you just listened, he spent days at the Surban propane fire many years back in Millerton. He loved the Fire Service and it showed. Now that he is an "Angel" above us, he certainly will be looking over us all. This firefighter was a true gentleman, a professional and mentor for many.

My deepest sympathy to the Schultz family

Lew keep your turnouts dry, well done, rest in peace my friend.

Lew remembered those small nuances of so many fires from the Eastern eastern part of the county (and anywhere Millerton went mutual aid to). A guy you liked to sit around the table with and talk about fires of the past. My condolences to the Shultz the family and to the Millerton Fire Department.

MILLERTON - Lewis E. Schultz, 79, of Millerton, died at Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT on Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 after a brief illness. He was born on June 1st, 1929 in the Town of North East, son of the late August J. and Anna Murphy Schultz. For many years he owned and operated "Schultz Electric" in Millerton. His love, beyond his family, was the Millerton Fire Dept., where he completed 61 years of devoted service and was an active member until his death. His first wife, Elizabeth, died in 1976 and in 1978 he remarried the former Sylvia Simonson, who survives at home. Survivors include two sons: David (Martha) Schultz and Jim Schultz, both of Millerton. Also 5 daughters: Deborah (Raymond) Steidle of Cobleskill, Nancy (Larry) Murphy of Wassaic, Diane Hosier of Millerton, Sherry Culver (Geoffrey DelSesto) of Natick, MA, and Sandy (Patrick) McPherson of Fenton, MI. He also leaves 15 grandchildren, sixteen great grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his brothers, John and William. Friends may call at the Valentine Funeral Home, Park Ave. Millerton on Saturday, January 24th from 2 – 4 and 6 – 8 PM. The funeral service will be conducted at the Millerton Fire House on Century Blvd. Interment will follow at Irondale Cemetery. Firemen will render honors at the funeral home, during the funeral service, and at Irondale Cemetery. The family has requested donations in Lew's memory be made to the Millerton Fire Dept. New Engine Fund, Millerton, NY 12546.

I just want to thank everyone that has sent their condolences to my family. Things happened fast, my family and I made sure he wasn't alone, and now there is no more pain for him which we are as happy about as we can be.

Again, thanks to all who have posted, it's been rough since last night and it's going to be rough for a while.

Condolences to you and your family. If there is anything JHK can do just ask, but im sure Lenny will be in touch..

Condolences to you and your family. If there is anything JHK can do just ask, but im sure Lenny will be in touch..

Just keep doing what y'all are doing. Today we are resting for tomorrow the chaos starts up again. Lenny is a saint in his own regard, we wouldn't have had half of this planned if he hadn't stepped up, same for Jason and the others.

Just keep us in y'alls thoughts, I still am expecting him to drive up to the firehouse or be in his chair at the house.