Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Motorcycle Medics

21 posts in this topic

One of my local EMS agencies, which is very well funded, has rolled out a new concept in ALS response:

EMS bikes used to cruise

around Austin

Austin-Travis County EMS unveiled

their new rides

Friday, 23 Jan 2009, 6:39 PM CST

AUSTIN (KXAN) - Austin-Travis County EMS unveiled their two new rides Friday. The Greater Austin Crime Commission donated the specially equipped motorcycles valued at more than $25,000 each. The idea is to help improve response time in congested areas like Interstate 35 and parts of downtown where ambulances cannot go.

FULL STORY: http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/EMS_bik...e_around_Austin

There was a similar topic back about 2 years ago (1 or 2 years?? Cannot remember) about a similar outfit down in Florida, if I remember correctly

Actually,

My friends in Canada work for Calgary EMS and they have quite a few medic bikes. Here's a photo from 2002 and they've added more since then.

Joe

post-175-1232840173.jpg

I've wanted bikes for when we have large events at our riverfront but of course it fell on either dear ears or the nay sayers.

Motorcycles...I love em'. But not for work. One of the main roads that goes through pretty much out entire response area is a pain in the gluteus maximus as it is in the flycar.

It seems like a good idea to me. The police officers use them, why can't EMS. Sure it is not for all areas, but in the right place it would be a good asset.

Soon there will be fire extinguishers on them and there will be firefighters driving them around.

I kinda like this idea... I do know MLSS has a "Bike Patrol" for big events, bicycles that is, and there are ones with BLS gear attached for EMTs, and ones with ALS gear attached for MEdics. I think some areas would do very well with this approach, planned carefully of course. And it's a good gas saver, compared to that hulking SUV flycar!!

We have a few of them here too, run by the state ambulance service

post-2284-1232898676.jpg

post-2284-1232898770.jpg

I remember a documentary a few years back about the ones in Great Britain and Ireland and they followed one guy around London as he did jobs. The only thing I could think of was how friggin hot the suit he was wearing must be. Screw that.

While I'm not sure about motorcycles, Chicago FD does run bicycles andSegways on the streets during acceptable weather. They also have specialty carts (there are both fire and ems equipped carts) at special events.

Now that's the kind of job I'd love to have... Although I'd be chroming out and opening up the pipes on the bike... Not sure how well that would go over!

We also have a converted golf buggy for sporting/music events, with a stretcher and all on it.

In Israel Hatzalah Volunteers and Volunteers from Magen David Adom (to a lesser extent) have been using motorcycles. They have motorcycles with a box on the back that holds O2, first in bag, AED--just enough to get things started before the ambulance arrives. Volunteers keep the bikes at home and are dispatched using pagers and nextels. Because of the agility of the bikes their response time is unbelievable. I had the pleasure of working with many Hatzalah volunteers when I worked in Israel.

Here is a picture of a hatzalah bike. (The kid is not a member :P ) http://www.hatzolahisraelusa.org/photos.ph...Rechovot%5B.jpg

Edited by chovesh

Miami Dade Fire Rescue, Daytona Beach Fire Rescue, Pittsburgh EMS, and Nantucket Fire up in Mass are a few US agencies that run motorcycles for EMS rapid response. Chicago used too, not sure of they still do.

Do any of these agencies run solo medics? I haven't seen a set-up yet that fits everything needed for ALS on one bike.

In Chicago, I usually see the bicycles and Seqways in "patrol pairs".

In Richland County (SC) we have two bike medics. They do alot of the special events (go to schools for show and tell, concerts ect.), they also first respond when not on special events. At times the bottom of the county falls apart and they will first respond and it is a good thing. Especially if it's an rma. The bikes are Harley Davidson with side "bags" for their stuff. They have been doing this for about 6 yrs.

In Richland County (SC) we have two bike medics. They do alot of the special events (go to schools for show and tell, concerts ect.), they also first respond when not on special events. At times the bottom of the county falls apart and they will first respond and it is a good thing. Especially if it's an rma. The bikes are Harley Davidson with side "bags" for their stuff. They have been doing this for about 6 yrs.

Which are the only real bikes. :P

Mike

I would be curious to know the screening / training process for operators, as well as any response limitations. Do they run 24/7? What about inclement weather?

Miami Dade Fire Rescue, Daytona Beach Fire Rescue, Pittsburgh EMS, and Nantucket Fire up in Mass are a few US agencies that run motorcycles for EMS rapid response. Chicago used too, not sure of they still do.

Daytona only does it for large scale events such as bike week, biketoberfest and the 500

I would be curious to know the screening / training process for operators, as well as any response limitations. Do they run 24/7? What about inclement weather?

Remember....Google is your friend!

Miami Dade F/R Motorcycle Operations: http://www.miamidade.gov/mdfr/emergency_special_mert.asp

Pittsburgh EMS Motorcycle Response Unit: http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/ems/html/...al_events_.html

Daytona Beach Fire Rescue: http://www.dbfd.us/motor_medic.htm