Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
E64PCFD2044

10-Codes

35 posts in this topic

What is everyones take on 10-Codes??? Does anyone perfer to use them or just use plain English? I think all 10-codes should be standardized...no one would get confused and it will help in M/A situations...anyone else?

Clear text is usually the way to go as it eliminates confusion, especially between two or more departments operating at the same scene.

standardized. with subcode for specific things.

10-1 to 10-11 administrative messages

10-12-10-14 response messages

10-20 respond with caution

10-21to 10-32 fires

10-33 to 10-40 emergencies

10-44 Request for ambulance

10-45 Fire related injury/death

10-46 request for coroner

10-47 request for PD

10-48 PD for FD being harassed

10-49 Request for Tow

10-50 generic request(DOT DEP Con Ed)

10-60 Major Emergency

10-65 Firefighter Mayday, transmit the next highest alarm with additional Rescue, Heavy Rescue and FAST team.

10-70 dead hydrant water relay required

10-75 working fire

10-76 Hirise commercial fire

10-77 hirise multiple dwelling fire

10-80 Haz Mat emergency

10-84 at the incident

10-86 Request for foam

10-88 Condition of fire/emergency, this is an inhouse code to let us know if the fire is doubtful, will hold, or under control.

10-91 Emergency with no FD Action needed,

10-92 False alarm

10-99 Units will be operating for 30 minutes or more.

Yes, I know they are paraphrased from FDNY radio codes, but they work for us. Clear text at times is very useful. This is where those in charge of setting the standard should be able to make a standard comm policy for all.

I could think of a few that would come in handy when requesting MA etc. I'll save those for later.

Not a big fan of looking up a code to say what I want to say.

I've always felt that clear-text is much easier and safer to use on the fireground and in the field. Proper radio ettiquette tells you that any message you receive, you are SUPPOSE to repeat back as a confirmation, because a simple "10-4" may mean I heard part of the message, I think I heard the 'important' parts and I am acknowledging what I think I heard.

Example:

"Engine 444 to 60 Control."

"60 Control is on for Engine 444."

"Engine 444 is on location with a 2 1/2 story wood frame dwelling, nothing showing. Have the next due engine standby at the hydrant."

"Engine 444 is on location with a 2 1/2 story wood frame dwelling with nothing showing, next due engine to standby the hydrant at 00:03 hours."

That's the way it should be.

NOT THIS:

"Ladder 101 to Engine 342, do not come up Spring Avenue it is blocked. Come in from Frost Street."

"Engine 342 10-4."

Does E342 get the message, or did they get confused? Transmissions should be "repeated" by the receiver to confirm them. Failure to do so can have tragic conclusions.

Speaking of communications, there's a great article in this month's Firehouse magazine explaining proper terminology. If you have access to it, READ IT!

I prefer ten codes. IMO, with all of the radio traffic on 46.26, ten codes are a lot shorter than plain english therefore tying up less air time. The problem comes in with different departments using different ten codes. one standard set should be used for operation on 46.26 so that regardless of the department, anyone listening to the radio will know if someone is in trouble or what is going on, without having to tie up more air trying to figure out what ten code someone is using.

They are a lot shorter than plain english sometimes, but the correct message may not be getting across. I'm sure many volunteer departments have a few police officers that are active members. Suppose they want to say they have a confirmed fire (Croton PD's code for fire is 10-16.) Well, if you say you have a confirmed 10-16 on 46.26 (false alarm), and then start screaming for mutual aid...hmmm, people are going to be confused as hell. Yeah, I like 10 codes to an extent. They shorten up the message, and they are 'buffy,' but I'd rather be sure that everybody is clear on what I'm trying to say.

Our 10 codes are availbable to every member. it is there responsibilty to know them especially if they want to be MPO's. 60 control has standard 10 codes, again 60 control should just not recognize 10 codes besides the ones that they have set forth.

10 codes just confuse a lot of people. they should just say what they want to say w/o the 10-codes. then the person reciveing the transmission should repeat it to know that they got it. get rid of the 10-codes

I perefer : 40 Control this is 11-5-1

It does make more sence to get the attention the the person you are calling before you say who you are. This way they do not have to say "Unit Calling?" because that is the part they heard after you got their attention. It takes a little practice to remember to do it that way and everyone will have to want it done that way or you will catch flack for it.

Our 10 codes are availbable to every member.  it is there responsibilty to know them especially if they want to be MPO's.  60 control has standard 10 codes, again 60 control should just not recognize 10 codes besides the ones that they have set forth.

some of these 10 codes have been around before some of you were even born, the problem is everybody thinks they are FDNY. just listen to the radio and you may here 5 different meanings to the 10 codes. plus you throw in the police depts. 10 codes. THAT VERY SPECIAL 10 CODE "10-75" WASN'T EVEN AROUND A FEW SHORT YEARS AGO, but i quess just like alot of other people it moved to the suburbs from the city. clear text is the safest method.

or as some buffs would say 10-75 the box. haha . SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, " we have a working fire" etc. :wink:

Standardization of 10 codes may be a good idea, but how would they be standardized? Would there be a county-specific standardization (where Westchester would have its own set of 10 codes) or a state-specific standardization (where the entire state would have its own set)? Wouldn't there still be confusion if operating across county/state lines?

For example: Monmouth County NJ has it's own standardized set of 10 codes that are primarily used by PD only, but Ocean County (the next county down) has it's own set; for example, 10-8 in Monmouth means "in service" but means something different in Ocean County. Frequently townships that lie along the border of Monmouth and Ocean Counties call for mutual aid across county lines, as I am pretty sure is the case in Westchester and Putnam Counties as well; the point being, that even if there is a standardization in 10 codes, there will always be some element, no matter how small, of confusion in meaning. That's why clear text is always better.

As far as receiving the message, the answering unit should always respond with "Received," and in certain cases, echo back the directive so as to ensure that they understand.

Honestly, I think it depends on the system. Some places use them well because they are busier and use them more often, but for the majority of westchester county in the voly systems or smaller town VACs or FDs with lesser used departments, the 10-codes might not be the best idea. I like the idea, in fact, I use them as much as I can, but I know for sure that if I say something with an obscure 10-code that I am going to doubt whether the person on the other end knows what I am talking about. I can tell you on multiple occassions I have been asked what "10-2" meant by partners with less radio talking time. It may be obvious to some, but to places where people aren't attached to the radio or a scanner, or simply using it, all that often, it's easier and more effective to use plain english. There isn't much of a difference between "responding" and "10-17" and honestly, when someone says "10-84, no 5, no 6, no 10-85 BLS to Lawrence, no White Plains," because they don't know what the hell they are saying, it is clearer and easier (and faster) for everyone if they just said "transporting one, BLS to White Plains"...

Besides that, though, places elsewhere are more apt to handle 10-codes. All police departments in my opinion should use them. That's a safety and privacy thing for both them and the people they serve, so that should be done. I would like to see a more uniform one, but we all know that won't happen, so it works the way it is...

Take Yonkers for example, however. Possibly the best Westchester County example. The PD uses 10-codes to the best ability possible. Empress does as well, though you hear some plain english, they even use the HEAR codes for hospitals when they refer to them... And Yonkers FD sounds incredibly professional on the radio. What I do like about Yonkers FD that is different from other FDs in the county is their professionalism on the radio that is only added to by the 10-codes. First of all, not every Tom, Dick, and Harry talks on the radio. They get dispatched, then the dispatched confirms responses by simply reading the units, they respond like a role call to the dispatcher. "Yonkers to the units responding 123 Main Street, possible 10-29, Engine 314, ..." "314" and so on... Besides that, all the units call is 10-84 and some updates. Besides that, all the radio communications are handled by the dispatcher and the battalion chief. The 10-codes make it more professional and for them, easier to catagorize what the heck is going on, when a whole bunch of things are going on. It's an awesome system.

roeems87, I couldn't agree more. 10-codes are good..like in Yonkers(Very Professional) but some dept's are advised by their chief to use plain English or whatever the situation. Again, this is only opinionated, and so far you are the only person making sense. Since Y.O. is on their own channel and hardly ever call for M/A. who cares what 10-codes they use. Plain English is great to get the point across w/o confussion, but it makes for more radio traffic..which we're trying to cut down on, since we're not supposed to use the radio like a party line. I think this will be an ongoing controversy...let me know what you think.

Honestly what do you use the 10 codes for responding, returning to quarters, back in service, acknowledgment, we only really use about ten 10 codes if that. I cant remember ever hearing some one use a 10 code to call a false alarm, or for extrication. No department pulls up to a extricaiton call and says the 10 code so why do we do it for structure fires? Everyone needs to be consistent. It also seems that we have the same conclusion on every thread that we all do what we want to.

i have heard many people on 60 control use the 10-codes for false alarms and other types of calls. also i know yonkers use's there 10-code a lot. also a question i hear yonkers get toned out out for something with a 10 code for like a ems call but never when it is a fire call. why is that?

Two things to add. As for using 10-codes for more than the typical, responding, on scene, in service and the little things inbetween, we use for the basics, that's true. Coming from EMS, it's not that bad, (10-17,84,85,86,8,2)... There aren't that many, but like I made the point in my last post, when for example, the first unit arrives directs all others responding to "10-20," (proceed with caution, slow the hell down) I have had the driver ask me what that means. When that is a direction to them, it's important they know what it means...and not everyone does, especially in the smaller towns or voly departments. Another one or two that I see used more frequently that perhaps people don't know 10-5 (repeat) and 10-6 (stand by). Just little ones that people should know, but perhaps don't, and when the 60 dispatcher is waiting for a reply after saying "10-5" and the person on the other end thinks that means "stand by" the two are not getting what they need to get done. So when you are in that situation, saying, "repeat" or "stand by" would be the same amount of time, and get the message across...without confusion. Like I said, the 10-codes sound better, but until people decide to know them, you should use the language everyone speaks, english...

My second point is in response to the question about Yonkers using 10-codes and english sometimes. If you look at a whole bunch of their codes, they are more general where a clarification is needed in english after the 10-code, for example, 10-45 for a medical aided, usually will be dispatched as a "10-45 diff breather" or whatever. Besides that, you will never hear "structure fire, all hands" over the Yonkers radio, 99.9% you'll hear "10-29, 10-30"... More than that though, when the battalion chief gives and update, it's brief and to the point, using 10s when possible. It works for yonkers because everyone working (I mean everyone one of the people talking on the high band UHF--perhaps not the fireground low band) knows what every one of them means. THAT is what makes it effective...

Ten codes are useful so far as the in service and on location signals are concerned. I think if we were to expand on the ten codes for use in situations like requesting foam and the like it will only add to more confusion. Remember this, not all our members are as into the fire service as the people on here. We have to keep things basic, so it dosn't damage standardization as opposed to add to it.

I believe it depends on the code. For example, codes like 10-17 and 10-19 are fairly simple and should be used, but sometimes it just gets out of control and that is when it is hard to understand to some. So I guess what Im trying to say is keep it simple!!

From my understand I heard 60 is telling departments they they want to get away from the 10 codes because every dept is using different 10 codes. we have departements using 10-75(FDNY) we never heard that up here until after 9/11. I also hear a lot of 10-84 these codes are not on the county 10 codes sheet. So i believe 60 got fed up and is temp. asking agency's to use plain english. makes sense for now. I think once new radio system is in place they will figure out 10 codes.

BOTH 10-75 AND 10-84 ARE ON THE COUNTY 10 CODE LIST. SEE THERE WEBSITE UNDER THE FORMS SECTION.

we have departements using 10-75(FDNY) we never heard that up here until after 9/11.  I also hear a lot of 10-84 these codes are not on the county 10 codes sheet.

Just FYI: I definitely heard both of those codes used frequently PRE 9/11.

White Plains Fire does not use 10 codes, we are public safety dispatch and while a 10-30 meant fire under control for us, it meant officer needs assistance in the P.D. you could see the confusion in a public safety dispatch center, "say what you mean"

In Putnam when talking to 40 control (or should I say Putnam 911) we use plain english. No 10-codes with the exception of some people using "going 23, or 23 the area" which is the police code for on location 10-23.

White Plains Fire does not use 10 codes, we are public safety dispatch and while a 10-30 meant fire under control for us, it meant officer needs assistance in the P.D. you could see the confusion in a public safety dispatch center, "say what you mean"

I absolutey agree !!!!! New York State Police, for the most part use plain english and it seems to work well for them.

IT IS SIMPLE. SAY WHAT YOU MEAN! , Just listen to the county radio and you here so many 10 whatever, and some of the 10 codes mean something different in other departments. Again westchester county never used 10-75 for working fire until the buffs took over.

Nobody uses 10-22 anymore???

We should certainly iron out a set of standarized 10-codes, but that said, I fully support 10-codes. We have too much radio traffic and at times some what garbled radio transmissions. 10-codes cut down on a transmissions time and when a transmission is slightly scratch its easier to decipher codes rather than plain english. As for not knowing 10-codes, NOT AN EXCUSE....LEARN THEM. Its really not that hard.

Clear Text, or Plain English, is obviously advantageous when it comes to things such as size up and progress reports.

10 codes have their place as well.

I can't think of how many times I would get calls from NYPD for a 10-59 and I'm like, what's that??? It's NYPD speak for a fire. Uniform ten codes for fire are definitely a way to go, and learning them is a must.

When I was a dispatcher, I used to get so annoyed when I would say something to a unit, and they would say 10-6(Stand by) in a questioning tone. They really meant 10-5(Repeat) so I would just say, 10-4 standing by and politely wait till they got it right.