Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wcr20

Your iPhone makes a nifty scanner!

29 posts in this topic

I ran across this information on another site, but thought some here might be interested...

(I haven't seen this posted here, but if it has, I apologize for the duplication)

Forgot your radio, pager, or scanner?

That certain 'BUFFiness' suddenly washing over you?

Got that iPhone in your pocket?

Then you've got almost everything you need.

Download and install FStream from the App Store (its free)

Search online for the URL for your favorite scanner stream (you need the address for the stream itself, not for the site)

Instead of a radio station stream, set up the URL in FStream

After setting up the URLs, change the setting under "More..." to allow use of the cellular network

That's pretty much it; select play and then select the stream you want to hear

I spent my train ride home today (in Chicago) listening to FDNY Citywide, and some local stuff too.

I'd like to hear your feedback: if others find this useful, perhaps we can start posting useful URLs to this thread??

I would bet that there's probably an application available for Treos and Blackberrys that might do the same thing.

Edited by wcr20

I have the blackberry storm and this is already set up for westchester and putnam on www.moodio.fm

Just do a search from your smartphone on the website and you will find them.

I'll give it a try on my iPhone, got any URLs to try out?

I have the blackberry storm and this is already set up for westchester and putnam on www.moodio.fm

Just do a search from your smartphone on the website and you will find them.

how do you get the freq on moodio???

Is it available for blackberry curve??? And is so can u explain the procedure!!

I have a bberry from work, but i cant install non-work related stuff - so i cant answer that. I also dont have a Treo. My wife has a Windows mobile device, so I could look at that eventually - but she has absolutely no interest in this.

here is what i have successfully used with FStream on my iPhone for FDNY:

url: http://icecast.scanamerica.us/ny_nyfd

format: mp3

bitrate 16

cool, i'll test it out! Just another great feature to the iPhone! Also, glad to see you can stream over 3G and your not bound by WiFi

Edit: Just threw in the FDNY link and its streaming beautifully

Edited by Goose

No link for Westchester that I know of, but the same site that had FDNY also has Putnam County. I have already downloaded it, and have Putnam Co., Monroe County (Rochester) and Middlesex Co. CT installed, all working perfectly. The same program also has a record function, so if you wanted to you could record live audio and save it for later.

i mean you guys probably know as much as i do about the app, but would there be any way to get a scan60 feed tht anyone knows of?

For my smartphone i have a program called Resco Pocket Radio, for the low price of $19.99 one time, you can listen to anything on your phone that streams using ShoutCast stream whether it be Internet music channels or custom streams. One site i lost the link for, used to have the county scanner on it. If i find it ill post it. But the Resco Pocket Radio program is by far the best one i've used.

For my smartphone i have a program called Resco Pocket Radio, for the low price of $19.99 one time, you can listen to anything on your phone that streams using ShoutCast stream whether it be Internet music channels or custom streams. One site i lost the link for, used to have the county scanner on it. If i find it ill post it. But the Resco Pocket Radio program is by far the best one i've used.

thanks

Medic 25-

Can you post the info you found?

I had a shoutcast server up briefly a few years ago now and used the RESCO pocket radio..... The RESCO program seemed to work pretty good but I had problems with the shoutcast end of things and took it off the air..... Be aware if you listen a lot with any of these programs you may go over your monthly data allotment. Verizon's is 2 GB / Month I think..... If you do, the Verizon Police will come after you as they do not allow you to do any streaming except of content they $ell you..... What good is the data plan if you can't stream? Now I have my ProScan server running Dutchess County and I wish they would introduce a Pocket PC version of that..... If they did, it would surely beat anything out there...

Medic 25-

Can you post the info you found?

http://icecast.scanamerica.us/

scroll through there they seem to have a few hundred different links for various scanners from around the country.

Example of how to format it in FStream (for those who are having trouble):

URL: http://icecast.scanamerica.us/ny_putnam (this is dependent on what you choose it seems usually its formatted by state_county/jurisdiction)

Content Type: MP3

Bit Rate: 16

Edited by Goose

I had a shoutcast server up briefly a few years ago now and used the RESCO pocket radio..... The RESCO program seemed to work pretty good but I had problems with the shoutcast end of things and took it off the air..... Be aware if you listen a lot with any of these programs you may go over your monthly data allotment. Verizon's is 2 GB / Month I think..... If you do, the Verizon Police will come after you as they do not allow you to do any streaming except of content they $ell you..... What good is the data plan if you can't stream? Now I have my ProScan server running Dutchess County and I wish they would introduce a Pocket PC version of that..... If they did, it would surely beat anything out there...

I had to have an Unlimited Data plan for my pda. When i was in California i had to listen what was going on here :lol: :lol: :blink:

I had to have an Unlimited Data plan for my pda. When i was in California i had to listen what was going on here :lol: :lol: :blink:

FYI - Verizons "unlimited data plan" is now limited to 2GB........

After 3 months i finally figured out how to get a Westchester County Link for the iPhone using FStream:

Name: (Whatever you want)

URL: http://65.60.11.2:8072

Format: MPEG

Bitrate (kps): 24

Edited by NYRangers30

works great , 60 control is very clear

Try m.ked281.com on your smart phone. Works great.

After 3 months i finally figured out how to get a Westchester County Link for the iPhone using FStream:

Name: (Whatever you want)

URL: http://65.60.11.2:8072

Format: MPEG

Bitrate (kps): 24

Do you have any other info for the other freqs on that site, Like NYPD SOD or FDNY