Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Nassau County wants 7% pay cut or 250 Cops

15 posts in this topic

stay strong brothers, NO GIVE BACKS..... let them work it out and if they lay off cops then let nassau descend into the 10th level of hell as far as crime is concerned... make them realize that they need cops more than any other employees

stay strong brothers, NO GIVE BACKS..... let them work it out and if they lay off cops then let nassau descend into the 10th level of hell as far as crime is concerned... make them realize that they need cops more than any other employees

Would you feel that way if you were one of the 250?

Thats a brutal proposition, but thats what the city counts on. If things are turned around by the next contract will the officers get their 7% back plus a raise? If they cut 250 cops now, as soon as they have the money they will start hiring them back. Its your job to ensure your pay and benefit. Its the city's job to ensure there are enough police to do the job.

This is just not a Police issue in Nassau County, the county is asking for 7% paycut across the board from all county employees to keep from laying off 1000 employees.

This is just not a Police issue in Nassau County, the county is asking for 7% paycut across the board from all county employees to keep from laying off 1000 employees.

True, but the focus of this forum is to discuss the public safety implications.

No matter how you look at it, times are tough and nothing is safe!

Would you feel that way if you were one of the 250?

YES

Cops take care of there own. These are politically motivated attacks to spur outrage and support from the community. These public threats by politicians are intended to put pressure on Albany to bail them out for there fiscal irresponsibility.

250 cops is a large number and public safety will be affected. Stay strong and dont give in. 11 were reinstated in Yonkers with no givebacks.

YES

Cops take care of there own. These are politically motivated attacks to spur outrage and support from the community. These public threats by politicians are intended to put pressure on Albany to bail them out for there fiscal irresponsibility.

250 cops is a large number and public safety will be affected. Stay strong and dont give in. 11 were reinstated in Yonkers with no givebacks.

However...

250 vs. 11 are two totally different scales of economy. If Nassau's figures are accurate, it doesn't seem to be as quick a fix as Yonkers was.

And, did the Yonkers PBA supplement the income of those 11 officers while they were laid off or make other arrangements? Were any of those 11 officers the only source of income in their families/homes? Hanging guys out to dry without a net is not 'taking care of your own.'

Edited by INIT915

Nassau County PD, if I recall correctly, pays one of the higest salaries for Police Officers in the nation. They charge $100 to even take the test. I know it's one of the most expensive places to live in the nation, but you have guys with less then 10 years on making over $150,000 a year wihout breaking a sweat.

If they lay off police officers, crime is going to go up. You don't think the criminals are watching all the publicity about these layoffs and thinking about the oppurtunities?

The unions need to work with the goverment. This isn't an easy situation, and it isn't easy going from a good, civil service job back into the private sector....trust me. Guys with 20-30 years on really should consider retiring with a good pension and that way I'm sure some layoffs can be avoided via attrition.

And we may have this same situation with Westchester County PD in a few months if the state pulls funding for parkway patrols.....

Yes Nassau County PD is one of the highest paid departments in the county, Suffolk PD is also close. I want to say the a new officer off training can make $75,000 w/o OT in the first year. I'm not sure on this amount but I'll see if I can find out more.

However...

250 vs. 11 are two totally different scales of economy. If Nassau's figures are accurate, it doesn't seem to be as quick a fix as Yonkers was.

And, did the Yonkers PBA supplement the income of those 11 officers while they were laid off or make other arrangements? Were any of those 11 officers the only source of income in their families/homes? Hanging guys out to dry without a net is not 'taking care of your own.'

Yes, the membership 'took care' of thier own and nobody was 'hung out to dry.'

You should ask what was done without making an accusation.

On the Fire end of things add to the layoffs 5 Dispatchers from the County Fire Communications division and 7 Fire inspectors from the Fire Marshals office. Both divisions are under staffed to begin with and below levels that they should be at.

Edited by spin_the_wheel

but you have guys with less then 10 years on making over $150,000 a year wihout breaking a sweat.

How do you make a comment like that?

How do you make a comment like that?

What's the problem with it. Nassau and Suffolk are among the highest paid PD's on the east coast. It's just a statement of fact...