Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

LA County Fire

6 posts in this topic

I think there are some people on here from LA, so here goes....

I was looking online trying to find how LACoFD runs the EMS. I know that they don't transport, but do they still run the paramedic squads?

In LA County Fire covered territory, whether an unincorprated area or contract cities. Medics run on squads or paramedic assessment engines. The County is split into "zones", with those zones under contract to one of the many private ambulances companies. I'm not sure the algorythm, but in certain cases the medics from the squad do transport with the private ambulnce crew to the hospital. But most times it is the ambulnce crew that handles the patient care during transport.

And JHK3605, thanks for the shameless plus for the West Coast forums....

In LA County Fire covered territory, whether an unincorprated area or contract cities. Medics run on squads or paramedic assessment engines. The County is split into "zones", with those zones under contract to one of the many private ambulances companies. I'm not sure the algorythm, but in certain cases the medics from the squad do transport with the private ambulnce crew to the hospital. But most times it is the ambulnce crew that handles the patient care during transport.

And JHK3605, thanks for the shameless plus for the West Coast forums....

Thanks for the reply RescueKujo.

So the private ambulances have medics on them as well?

Since we're on the subject of La county how does the lifeguard thing work are you a lifeguard when the beaches are open in the summer and a firefighter the rest of the year ? Or once the summer is over your done being a lifeguard and you have no affiliation with the LACOFD.

Edited by texastom791

I'm not exactly sure about the lifeguards, but Ill take a stab at it. My guess would be that while they are employed by the LACoFD, they are not firefighters and most likely only working during whatever time period they have a swim season, which is prob a good chunk of the year. Like I said I'm only taking a guess on this.

Years ago the LA county lifeguard service was a separate county department. A few years ago to save money like other agencies, they were merged with the LA County Fire Dept. becoming a division of it. Unlike here, in LA lifeguarding is a year round thing. They have a core group of year round employees that are supplemented by seasonal hires. The lifeguards are not firefighters. This info is to the best of my knowledge after talking to lifeguards while visiting LA.