Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

Maple Syrup Smell in NYC

10 posts in this topic

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The source of a mysterious maple syrup-like smell that has periodically blanketed New York is not a particularly aromatic pancake house but a New Jersey factory involved in the processing of fenugreek seeds, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Thursday.

The sweet aroma first descended upon Manhattan and northern New Jersey in October 2005, initially triggering several building evacuations as well as concern the scent was physically harmful. Authorities from the Office of Emergency Management soon concluded it posed no danger to the public.

The odor made several return appearances in subsequent years, each time confounding nostrils before vanishing as perplexingly as it arrived.

Link to Full Article

I remember hearing about these occurances on the news. Interesting story.

At least they weren't toasting almonds... (or processing massive amounts of grass clippings!)

For NYC it could have been a far worse smell :D

That was exactly what I was thinking. Atleast it is better than garbage or those roasted nuts. For some reason that smell bothers me so much.

I miss being on the Deegan and passing the Stella Doro plant..when the wind blew the right way that scent was heaven. And torture if you were starving.

miss being on the Deegan and passing the Stella Doro plant..when the wind blew the right way that scent was heaven. And torture if you were starving. alsfirefighter

I was a track and field athlete at Manhattan College and practice at Van Cortlandt, I unfortunately smelled it everyday and practice was right before dinner.

Also the throws coach, used that I guess as motivation during a recruiting trip down, he mentioned stella doro about 15 times in that two hour period :mellow:

Only in NY d things smell better and people have a problem with it.

I miss being on the Deegan and passing the Stella Doro plant..when the wind blew the right way that scent was heaven. And torture if you were starving.

Wow...I ahd forgotten about that...you are 100 percent right though!

ALS, that smell is always torture. Last summer 4 hrs after abandoning my diner mid warming I got stuck at a fire stand-by immediately downwind. Absolutely cruel.