Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnnyOV

Why is 60-control called 60-control?

24 posts in this topic

So I've never really thought about this until now, but what is the meaning behind it being called 60-control, and Putnam used to being called 40-control, especially over the radio.

Why not dispatch or something else? Is it because of history, or tradition or laws or something?

So I've never really thought about this until now, but what is the meaning behind it being called 60-control, and Putnam used to being called 40-control, especially over the radio.

Why not dispatch or something else? Is it because of history, or tradition or laws or something?

This is just a guess but Westchester County Code is 60. You see it come up in SS# 000-60-000. You also see it on standardized test. for the county code.

1. Albany

2. Allegany

3. Bronx

4. Broome

5. Cattaraugus

6. Cayuga

7. Chautauqua

8. Chemung

9. Chenango

10. Clinton

11. Columbia

12. Cortland

13. Delaware

14. Dutchess

15. Erie

16. Essex

17. Franklin

18. Fulton

19. Genesee

20. Greene

21. Hamilton

22. Herkimer

23. Jefferson

24. Kings

25. Lewis

26. Livingston

27. Madison

28. Monroe

29. Montgomery

30. Nassau

31. New York

32. Niagara

33. Oneida

34. Onondaga

35. Ontario

36. Orange

37. Orleans

38. Oswego

39. Otsego

40. Putnam

41. Queens

42. Rensselaer

43. Richmond

44. Rockland

45. Saratoga

46. Schenectady

47. Schoharie

48. Schuyler

49. Seneca

50. St Lawrence

51. Steuben

52. Suffolk

53. Sullivan

54. Tioga

55. Tompkins

56. Ulster

57. Warren

58. Washington

59. Wayne

60. Westchester

61. Wyoming

62. Yates

This is just a guess but Westchester County Code is 60. You see it come up in SS# 000-60-000. You also see it on standardized test. for the county code.

Social security numbers have no relationship to the New York County numbering system. If yours is 60 it must be a coincidence.

The middle two numbers of an SSN are group numbers with no geographic relevance. The first three numbers indicate where the # was issued.

A lot of the county contro centers took the county identifier and control back in the 80's . Putnam was KED-862 then we switched it to 40-Control (to match 60-Control & 44-Control-Rockland). When we broke free from the Sheriffs office in 2005 and opened the 911 Center we became Putnam 911. 60 is Westchesters county ID number, 40 is Putnam's and 44 is Rockland. I'm assuming once one went to XX-control, the others followed. Orange is/was 36-Control

1. Albany

2. Allegany

3. Bronx

4. Broome

5. Cattaraugus

6. Cayuga

7. Chautauqua

8. Chemung

9. Chenango

10. Clinton

11. Columbia

12. Cortland

13. Delaware

14. Dutchess

15. Erie

16. Essex

17. Franklin

18. Fulton

19. Genesee

20. Greene

21. Hamilton

22. Herkimer

23. Jefferson

24. Kings

25. Lewis

26. Livingston

27. Madison

28. Monroe

29. Montgomery

30. Nassau

31. New York

32. Niagara

33. Oneida

34. Onondaga

35. Ontario

36. Orange

37. Orleans

38. Oswego

39. Otsego

40. Putnam

41. Queens

42. Rensselaer

43. Richmond

44. Rockland

45. Saratoga

46. Schenectady

47. Schoharie

48. Schuyler

49. Seneca

50. St Lawrence

51. Steuben

52. Suffolk

53. Sullivan

54. Tioga

55. Tompkins

56. Ulster

57. Warren

58. Washington

59. Wayne

60. Westchester

61. Wyoming

62. Yates

OMG Chris ! I hope that you copied and pasted that !!!

The only thing I always wondered is why with EMS location codes they were one off. Westchester locations start with "59."

You took the words out of my mouth with the SSN's Chris.

I case it is not know, that is also why Dutchess 911's dispatchers are 14-XX. Dutchess County is 14, Arlington is 14002. etc. Ulster also uses the dispatcher number 56-XX coinciding with their County number.

The only thing I always wondered is why with EMS location codes they were one off. Westchester locations start with "59."

ALS. Are you referring to the 4 digit EMS number? Arlington being 1313 is off the one also. Anybody know Albany Counties EMS number?

ALS. Are you referring to the 4 digit EMS number? Arlington being 1313 is off the one also. Anybody know Albany Counties EMS number?

Albany County

Municipality Name/Municipality Type/Location Code

Albany City 0101

Altamont Village 0121

Berne Town 0150

Bethlehem Town 0151

Coeymans Town 0152

Cohoes City 0102

Colonie Town 0153

Colonie Village 0124

Green Island Village 0145

Guilderland Town 0155

Knox Town 0156

Menands Village 0125

New Scotland Town 0157

Ravena Village 0123

Rensselaerville Town 0158

Voorheesville Village 0122

Watervliet City 0103

Westerlo Town 0159

I've always been tempted to call Dutchess 911 on the radio as "14 control" to see what, if any reaction there would be from them. :)

The codes are off because of the Bronx. The five NYC Counties do not fall into line, however, for Kings, New York, Richmond, and Queens, the number were sequenced between the County prior and post. For reasons unknown to me, this wasn't done with the Bronx. Broome County, which follows the Bronx was issued "03", instead of "04".

Thereby causing all Counties following da Bronx to be maladjusted.

Police agencies use location codes that correspond correctly, therefore a Traffic Ticket issued in the Town of Cortlandt contains a CTV Code of K6051. "K" for being in the confines of Troop "K" and 6051 for Cortlandt.

I've always been tempted to call Dutchess 911 on the radio as "14 control" to see what, if any reaction there would be from them. :)

They'd get a good laugh out of it!

From what I know of their training, they would say "Dutchess 911 is on"

Maybe EJS can answer this one. When Putnam 911 broke off from the Sheriff's office why did they not continue to use the 40 Control designation? Did it remain with the Sheriffs office?

Maybe EJS can answer this one. When Putnam 911 broke off from the Sheriff's office why did they not continue to use the 40 Control designation? Did it remain with the Sheriffs office?

The Director at that time wanted an new identifier to "start new". I guess technicly if we had to dispatch from the SO (our backup site) we could use 40-Control again

The codes are off because of the Bronx. The five NYC Counties do not fall into line, however, for Kings, New York, Richmond, and Queens, the number were sequenced between the County prior and post. For reasons unknown to me, this wasn't done with the Bronx. Broome County, which follows the Bronx was issued "03", instead of "04".

Police agencies use location codes that correspond correctly, therefore a Traffic Ticket issued in the Town of Cortlandt contains a CTV Code of K6051. "K" for being in the confines of Troop "K" and 6051 for Cortlandt.

We only us the number code, not the K(W), though that is part of the NYSPIN symbolic...

I miss the days of "KED 348 to ........".......followed by one of many witty comments from Ole George Heck!

I just thought it was because DOH is a day late and a number (dollar) short!!!! :lol:

Init...thanks bro...I always wondered and never took the time to actually look at the list. All I knew was everywhere I've worked it was 1 off.

I still remember when Dutchess switched to "Dutchess 911"...what was it about a month after they finally stopped answering anyone who even called in to "KED 348?" And would only respond to Dutchess 911 for the ones who just can't accept change.

This is all really interesting, it also verified my hunch that counties were determined alphabetically (but for the Bronx-Broome mixup.) Speaking of the county codes, I've seen rigs marked with County Codes. See here: http://10-75.net/apparatus/ny/rensselaercn...nbushfd/119.htm

http://cnyfiretrucks.com/mn/MacedonC4r.jpg

Who comes up with the County Codes, BTW? Is is the Secretary of State?

-Joe DA BUFF

I miss the days of "KED 348 to ........".......followed by one of many witty comments from Ole George Heck!

Just go to the town highway garage then

OMG Chris ! I hope that you copied and pasted that !!!

No and my fingers are still blistered because of it!!! :P

Cause you can't say "hey stupid" on the radio??? :lol:

Who comes up with the County Codes, BTW? Is is the Secretary of State?

Either that or the Governor's Office established it as the way to track which county something was in. This is interesting trivia.