Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
10-Buff-4

Ok, I feel like an idiot...

28 posts in this topic

LOL, I know it's Cab-Forward, I meant, what's the term for a cab with driver and officer doors but the jumpseats are open to the air?

Sorry for my lack of clarity!

D'oh! :blink:

-Joe DA BUFF

Open Cab.....or half open cab.....

Aha! I think I got it! Canopy Cab! For some reason, I thought it was Custom Cab!

Canopy Cab!

Thanks all. ;)

-Joe DA BUFF

Aha! I think I got it! Canopy Cab! For some reason, I thought it was Custom Cab!

Canopy Cab!

Thanks all. ;)

-Joe DA BUFF

You are correct... Canopy Cab... An open cab is just that, open, with no fixed covering for FF's.

I've always wondered about the windshield being in 2 parts like that. Was it more of a distraction with them that way?

Canopy cabs are awesome in the summer.

Yes but suck for winter and for safety 110%.

40 year old design, best visibilty ever! B)

Thanks for your reply. I never had the privilege to drive one

You are correct... Canopy Cab... An open cab is just that, open, with no fixed covering for FF's.

...........And also no doors, that's a true open cab. With doors and no roof (including cab-forward jobs) is a semi-open cab, then the canopy cab, the enclosed. A lot of people, including me, get it all confused and the old-timers that utilized the really old style trucks still raz me about my terminology.

Where is that truck from?

Portsmouth, New Hampshire Engine 1

But is it a Ward or a Maxim or both?

Thanks Cap! And thanks all for the clarification about just what is what.

-Joe DA BUFF

Agreed that the pictured Ward LaFrance Ambassador has great visibiltiy, as we operate Mohegan's X E-256 here in Palm Coast, Florida

That is an open cab and its important to remember that if the apparatus is refurbed it has to come to NFPA 1901 Appendix D which I believe requires the cab to be enclosed.

That is an open cab and its important to remember that if the apparatus is refurbed it has to come to NFPA 1901 Appendix D which I believe requires the cab to be enclosed.

I have to disagree with you. It's not open, its a canopy cab by definition.... Yes to you and I, we'd call it open, but by fire apparatus definition it falls into the canopy catagory because the rear facing FF's heads are covered.

Open Cab = no doors and no roof

Semi Open Cab = no roof with doors (cab forwards with front doors and jump seats are considered semi-open cabs)

Canopy cabs = Enclosed cab seating area for drivers and riders in the front with the open jump seat area covered by the cab roof and side cab body panels, no doors to the jump seats or having half doors installed aftermarket are included.

Enclosed cabs = totally enclosed seating area.

I checked with a couple apparatus buffs and SPAMMFA members on the terms since my last post.

Open Cab = no doors and no roof

Semi Open Cab = no roof with doors (cab forwards with front doors and jump seats are considered semi-open cabs)

Canopy cabs = Enclosed cab seating area for drivers and riders in the front with the open jump seat area covered by the cab roof and side cab body panels, no doors to the jump seats or having half doors installed aftermarket are included.

Enclosed cabs = totally enclosed seating area.

I checked with a couple apparatus buffs and SPAMMFA members on the terms since my last post.

thanks for the clarity

ok so this would be a canopy cab by definition:

post-16297-1234656378.jpg

That is correct sir!

from the definitions i believe that is correct and Millertons would be a Semi open cab?

Thanks for your reply. I never had the privilege to drive one

We had one in New Canaan for years as Tanker -8 It is now With Norwalk FD. It was built on a tank retriever chassis and was a tight truck. It was something to drive. It had great visibilty and the cab was big inside. The heater sucked. I froze my @#$ off at Vista a few years ago. It was a great rig in its day. I'm very pleased with its replacement.