Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Discussion - 2/12 Bronxville/Eastchester Trench Rescue

21 posts in this topic

Based upon Truck 4's very detailed account of the Multi-Departmental response to yesterday's trench rescue in Bronxville, this was a great job done by everyone involved. The one question that I have on the response sequence would be why, given that this incident was in Bronxville, that EFD would request NRFD's Rescue 4 and their Collapse Response Unit rather than requesting Yonkers Collaspe Response Team (Collaspe Rig, Squad 11), which is closer (Station 11 in Yonkers (Bronxville Road - Right on the Yonkers/Bronxville Boarder) is about a 4-5 minute response to the scene vs. Rescue 4 and the NRFD Team coming out of Station 1 in New Rochelle, right in downtown New Rochelle). It would appear that the equipment and manpower needed would have gotten to the scene faster if the intial Collapse Response Team would have come out of YFD's Station 11, then have NRFD's team come up as additional support.

Is this because NRFD is the first due Mutual Aid district for Eastchester, and given that, thus the initial request for New Rochelle to respond, and then, based upon the assessment later on at the scene by the I/C, that the Yonkers FD Rescue Collapse Team was called in?

As for who gets called when on non fire emergencies it is at the initial incident commanders discretion. Additionally Mack some of your information is incorrect, the location of the incident was less than 1 mile form the New Rochelle- Eastchester border. This incident was not in Bronxville it was in Eastchester.

Hey Capt. Rick... nice job by Group 2. Looked like the trench drills we did 2 years ago only 1 mile away with the same FDNR, YFD and GFD units. Is this the same building we had the cellar fire in that had live goats kept inside? It was some type of Embassy.

As this was a diplomat, wouldn't doubt that there were all types of live stock. You never know what they have. From the accounts in the paper what I hear up here Rick everyone did a great job. Well done to all from EFD, YFD NRFD GFD .

Why is there always so many people from DES on the scene of these emergencies?

post-4772-1234545307.jpg

The actual call location.

Let's not get bogged down on why did they call who. Ultimately all the appropriate resouces were there so it's a moot point. Let's find out what the conditions of the buried worker were and how they managed to extricate him.

What was his ultimate medical condition? Was there some unusual physical finding that prompted the STAT-Flight request? As this is only about 10 minutes from Jacobi and about 15 minutes from the Westchester Medical Center, I was wondering what made EMS think of that mode of transport.

Why is there always so many people from DES on the scene of these emergencies?

How many is so many?

Capt Demps and the Eastchester FD did a great job--there was no hesitiation in calling in all three units. The time factor was minimal - all three department have worked togeather in the past. All the departments went to a common fire ground, radio transmissions were minimal. Command post operated as it should have, things just went right and thats a good thing.

Con Ed needs to get some kudos here too. They did a teriffic job getting the trucks in and out of there.

Eastchester ambulance on scene and ready to do their work.

A true team effort,it shows you that practice does make good-- drills do pay off- and knowing what you need and where to get it is important to the IC.

County Car 2 was there as was County Battalion 18. I dont think there were any other DES on the scene.

There were other Chiefs there from the department that sent units.

Capt Demps and the Eastchester FD did a great job--there was no hesitiation in calling in all three units. The time factor was minimal - all three department have worked togeather in the past. All the departments went to a common fire ground, radio transmissions were minimal. Command post operated as it should have, things just went right and thats a good thing.

Con Ed needs to get some kudos here too. They did a teriffic job getting the trucks in and out of there.

Eastchester ambulance on scene and ready to do their work.

A true team effort,it shows you that practice does make good-- drills do pay off- and knowing what you need and where to get it is important to the IC.

Lets not forget about the dispatchers that were working ;)

post-4772-1234545307.jpg

What was his ultimate medical condition? Was there some unusual physical finding that prompted the STAT-Flight request? As this is only about 10 minutes from Jacobi and about 15 minutes from the Westchester Medical Center, I was wondering what made EMS think of that mode of transport.

None of us were there but the request for Stat Flight could have been due to the lengthy extrication time also since there was concrete involved it probably started to harden and cause more traumatic injuries then with a normal trench rescue. We also have to think they may have been able to land Air 1 So close to the scene that the amount of time it would have taken to get the Pt from the scene to the helicopter might have been less then how long it would have taken to get off the property. The scene could have been in the backyard of a mulitmillion dollar mansion that it was 1/2 mile away fom the driveway and the ambluance couldn't get close enough but Air 1 could have landed in the backyard. Lastly we are forgetting about one other issue, RUSH HOUR. Between 3:30 - 6:30 that section of the hutch is a virtual parking lot at times. So the normal 10 minute response could have became a 20 minute response. These are all POSSIBLES not that these are the reasons but possible reasons.

Most of us weren't there, hell I'm 1100 miles away. We don't know all the factors that went into some of the decisions that the IC made on the scene. What may seem like an odd decision to someone Monday Morning QBing, may have been the right decision all along for the situation and obsticles at the scene. All we know is that the PT was extricated, is alive and at the hospital. Good job by all.

Knowing the area and looking at the maps Mt Vernon HS athletic fields as well as Siwanoy CC are both close by and as it was said, time of day and traffic is a factor no matter where in this county. Demps is a good commander and knows how to run an incident and if he calls in for something, he knows what to do. As the IC he looks at his situation and in his true professional maner calls in what he feels he needs. Go the guy out and to the hospital as quickly as possible. Good job of all the people on scene, the fire dept.s VAC, and Con Ed. That's not your every day incident but as it's said,drill till you get it right and drill again until its second nature.

just a fyi the question about it being bronxville . well being that i grew up 2 blocks from that house . Bronxville and Tuckahoe are in the town of Eastchester . All covered by Eastchester fire dept, however all 3 have there own police depts. As I said i grew up two blocks from that house we lived in Easchester, went to Tuckahoe schools, and had a Bronxville post office. and as previously stated NRFD is very much closer.

According to TRUCK 4's report in addition to EFD's I/C Captain Dempsey and other ranking officers within the Eastchester Fire Department, the following Fire Commanders also responded to the incident:

Yonkers FD Battalion Chief 2 (Might have been B/C Dunn?)

Yonkers FD Car 2 (I think that is YFD's AC Fitzpatrick?)

Westchester County B-18

Westchester County Car 2

County Car 2 was there as was County Battalion 18. I dont think there were any other DES on the scene.

There were other Chiefs there from the department that sent units.

Edited by 61MACKBR1

My apologies to EFD's Captain Dempsey as I had originally referred him a Chief Dempsey. His work at this incident as the I/C was truly outstanding, coordinating a multi-departmental effort. A truly great job done by him as well as all of the professional and voluteers who responded to and worked this incident.

Yes to the vac trucks being used and a great job I might add, it wasent easy for them to get a truck in there. There had to be some shall i say temp movement of fencing to allow access to the rear of the home.

As stated before other Chiefs were there but all reported to the Comand post and worked with in the ICS stystem.

And I apoloigze to the dispatchers for leaving them out--- please accecpt my apology--and keep giving me good directions.

They are truly unsong heros of the fire service in Westchester.

Yes to the vac trucks being used and a great job I might add, it wasent easy for them to get a truck in there. There had to be some shall i say temp movement of fencing to allow access to the rear of the home.

As stated before other Chiefs were there but all reported to the Comand post and worked with in the ICS stystem.

And I apoloigze to the dispatchers for leaving them out--- please accecpt my apology--and keep giving me good directions.

They are truly unsong heros of the fire service in Westchester.

Thank you Sir. No need to apoloigze when it is me waking you up at 3am. :lol:

I was there and i want to say it was a well coordinated effort by all involved. It isnt your everyday incident, it makes running a fire seem like a piece of cake. Good job Capt Dempsey and EFD.

I was there and i want to say it was a well coordinated effort by all involved. It isnt your everyday incident, it makes running a fire seem like a piece of cake. Good job Capt Dempsey and EFD.

ditto - good job by EFD and all Mutual agencies