Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gpdexplorer

American LaFrance Fire Extinguisher

12 posts in this topic

Yesterday I found an old American LaFrance Fire Extinguisher in my girlfriend's basement. I'm tryin to figure out when abouts this is from and I was wondering if anyone could help me at all. Its an old dry chem extinguisher model number PDC-2A. It has a brass label on the front. Any help would be appreciated.

post-938-1234814448.jpg

post-938-1234814428.jpg

If the label says American LaFrance Fire Engine Company, then it might be from the years they were owned by the Foamite Corporation, also better known as American LaFrance - Foamite Corp. Usually if there is a serial number on the label then somewhere near the s/n is the date of manufacture or you can see if there is something stamped on the bottom. By the looks of the extinguisher, label and the gauge by what I can tell it seems it could be from the 1930s to 1950s era. I am not sure when the dry-chemical extinguisher market began though I believe its was around the 30s.

Thanks for the insight Joe. As you can on the bottom right corner, the numbers that are stamped is an Underwriters Laboratories Inspection number. I've searched online and haven't been able to find anything about that model number extinguisher and havent had much luch searching the UL number either. I've searched all over the extinguisher and can't find a manufacture date.

Thank you for the link Mark.

There is nothing stamped on the canister itself just on the brass label. The only useful things on the label is the Model number: PDC-2A and the UL Inspection number: A-751283. I tried entering that into a search on the UL site, but that was unsuccessful for me.

Edited by gpdexplorer

I was going to tell him to look for the hydro-test date, its either a stamp (steel stamp that leaves impression on the shell) or a sticker, depending on who did the test. I used to work for a fire extinguisher company and I did the Hydro-Testing for him as well as inspection of the extinguishers, re-charge, installation of the kitchen hood fire suppression systems and maintenance as well. Every container that stores compressed gas must have a hydro test.

If that doesnt help than check out that site posted above for the museum, they will definitely help you out. I love to collect things like that by the way!! LOL I found a hand pumped soda acid type extinguisher once at a antique store that was still full of chemical.

Moose you made my day, Andrew, Moose is wanting that extinguisher!!! :D

Moose you made my day, Andrew, Moose is wanting that extinguisher!!! :D

LOL...

You know, upon further examination of the label (from what I could see anyway) I would be willing to bet you could find a manufacture date on there somewhere. I have found a lot of extinguishers like this in my day of inspecting them and had to learn how to find it. They are all required to have it on the label some where. Hey, bring it to my house and we will break out the magnifying glass and check it out, ok? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Moose, eyeing my stuff, eh??

So far I haven't turned up any new leads. I sent an email to the Legacy of Heroes that Mark suggested.

My girlfriend said that the extinguisher was in the basement 19 years go when they moved in.

I did a quick look at Ebay, and there were some similar ones that were reportedly from the 1970's.

I did a quick look at Ebay, and there were some similar ones that were reportedly from the 1970's.

The only thing though is if that is a metal style lable, that would be from before the 70s. I think they were owned by Figgie then and I don;t think they were in the extinguisher market anymore or they may have been just getting out of it. I'll have to check my ALF book at home.