Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Green Lights for VACs Personal Vehicles

18 posts in this topic

Another new amendment to the vehicle and traffic law for 2005:

"...Amends section 375 of the vehicle and traffic law to restrict the use of green lights solely to vehicles affiliated with a volunteer ambulance service." (actually enacted 8-10-04)

So then a green light could not be used in NYS to indicate an Incident Command Post, as per ICS???? Or does this just apply to V&T law?

IF you want to be really technical, the V&T law applies mostly to vehicles in motion on the road. If I was in a flaming mood and wanted to put a purple strobe light on my vehicle, on private property, i could. Second I start tooling around on any public road, it becomes a violation. I don't see why the V&T law would prevent use of a green light on a stationary command post at an ICS scene. And even if it did, find one police officer that would write the IC a summons for it.

IF you want to be really technical, the V&T law applies mostly to vehicles in motion on the road. If I was in a flaming mood and wanted to put a purple strobe light on my vehicle, on private property, i could. Second I start tooling around on any public road, it becomes a violation. I don't see why the V&T law would prevent use of a green light on a stationary command post at an ICS scene. And even if it did, find one police officer that would write the IC a summons for it.

:-k

There's probably a few driving around in Black & Whites I can think of.

There's probably a few driving around in Black & Whites I can think of.

Then you might consider getting friendly with the local Judge, because I don't think it would hold up in court very well.

The new Field Comm is slated for a Disco Ball inplace of the Green Command light.

The famous lighted disco floor that was made famous by John Travolta and Saturday Night Fever is up for auction after being salvaged from a derelict night club in brooklyn. Maybe they can buy that and use it for triage sectioning to go along with the disco ball. 8)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4288849.stm

LOL not sure about NYS but in CT believe it or not purple is used for funeral homes(LOL!). Not good for EMS 8)

Joe

Another new amendment to the vehicle and traffic law for 2005:

"...Amends section 375 of the vehicle and traffic law to restrict the use of green lights solely to vehicles affiliated with a volunteer ambulance service." (actually enacted 8-10-04)

so this means no more green lights :-k :-k :-k [-o< [-o< [-o<

The V&T law posted is pretty cut and dry....green lights are for VAC members only.

Here is a question for you guys who are members of an FD and a VAC, do you have a blue light and a green light, or do you use the same light when responding to fire and ems calls?

I know people who have green and blue lights, use blue for fire and ems, use green for fire and ems, or have a dual strobe (1 lens green, 1 lens blue)

i think it's amatter of tase what ever the person want to put on is his bussines but i think you still need both a green and blue cards to use them

At one point in time I had both. But that was, how do you say, too "Ghostbuster-ish?" Truth be told, I had at least one of every color light back in the day. My car wasn't exactly too Cop-friendly. Especially when one of the Cops was in my house constantly lecturing me.

Being a naive teenager eventually wears off, I'm still waiting for it to happen to me!

Was black and white reference to a particular and I am not talking about LA or here in Westchester, Rye...I believe you are indicating a town on hudson...

Was black and white reference to a particular and I am not talking about LA or here in Westchester, Rye...I believe you are indicating a town on hudson...

You betcha!!

Remember585....You had at least (1) light of every color on your car??? I don't believe that for a minute lol :D ! You definately always had the most obnoxious light shows around lol. I can see your old man lecturing you, but come on now, he didn't do so bad in the light show department himself! But at least his lights were all the same color lol!

I too at one time had a green light as well as blue lights in my car. But now i have a brand new car and i really don't feel like having to mount a green light somewhere, especially when i won't really use it. The ambulance corps. is only a few blocks from my house & if i don't make the rig for a call, i won't lose sleep over it. The reason being is that if the rig gets out before i can get there, than thats a pretty good response by other members. Further more, it just means that a patient will be provided care in a short ammount of time, a definate plus.

GPDexplorer...as you stated, yes, there are people out there who run both green & blue at the same time. There were people who are affiliated with a FD & a VAC and would buy a double-strobe & have (1) lens blue and (1) lens green. Technically, you are not supposed to do this & i believe you can be ticketed for it. I know in my area, the Fire Chief approached the VAC Captain & had him ask members to discontinue this practice. Its one or the other, run blue for fire, green for EMS or neither.

Regarding green and blue together... It's actually prohibeted by V&T not that it stops anyone. :wink:

Green/blue light combo's are a no no. In fact there are always a few questions about fire based ambulance services if they can use green lights when I do EVOC. Most people on the road have no clue what either color means.

Not jabbing anyone here, but other then expense and many shaking their heads at you (particulary me), what is the purpose of all those lights. If one blue light doesn't get ya any courtesy, certainly you whackers with 42 of aren't either. I never used one. Turn it on, your an butthole with a blue light, turn it off your like every other impatient driver on the street.