Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Computer problem

13 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Hopefully someone here has some knowledge of this problem.

It started suddenly yesterday. I went to yahoo to do a search and when I clicked on the result I was looking for, it opened up a new window and took me to a different page. This has been happening ever since. I ran McAfee and it found nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanking you all in advance.

Edited by 23piraf

Does this always happen, or just the one time? does it happen with any other pages? Also, try scanning with AVG FREE version I've personally tested it and found that it finds things neither Mcafee and Norton will not find.

It could be spy-ware too. Download Ad-Aware its free for personal use. It finds spyware and trojans and removes them.

Try tossing your cookies, sometimes someone adds a malicious redirection cookie that screws up things like that. Don't know what browser you are using type in "cookies" into help and then look up how to clear them.

Try tossing your cookies, sometimes someone adds a malicious redirection cookie that screws up things like that. Don't know what browser you are using type in "cookies" into help and then look up how to clear them.

Just don't toss them on the keyboard. You can never get that cleaned up! B)

You have spy and ad ware installed on your commuter. Go to tucows.com and look for anti spy / ad ware removers. They need to be removed so that you can function normally. I have used AntiSpyware and other trojan removers with great success.

You have spy and ad ware installed on your commuter. Go to tucows.com and look for anti spy / ad ware removers. They need to be removed so that you can function normally. I have used AntiSpyware and other trojan removers with great success.

Thank you Izzy. Which one do you recommend?

I looked at the registry under IE and found some "search redirect" things that don't look right (it says redirect google). However, I don't want to go change anything in there unless I know what I am changing. Any advice anyone?

Try SpyBot Search & Destroy (free)

Spybot S&D (donationware):

Download it here:

www.safer-networking.org/

www.1usa.com/downloads/spybotsd/index.html

a) Download and install Spybot S&D.

b ) Click on "Update" in the left column.

c) Click on "Search for Updates."

d) Select a download location (usually one close to you).

e) Click "Download Updates" and wait of the updating process to finish.

f) Check that all Internet Explorer (web browser) windows are closed.

g) Click "Search and Destroy" in the left column.

h) Click "Check for Problems."

i) Have Spybot remove/fix all the problems it identifies in RED. The items not listed in red should not be touched at this time.

Ad-aware (free version available):

Download it here:

www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

majorgeeks.com

a) Download and install the latest version of Ad-Aware. If you previously had Ad-aware installed, grant the installer permission to uninstall it when it asks.

b ) As the installation ends, leave these boxes checked: (i) Perform a full scan now, (ii) Update definition file now, (iii) Open the help file now. Click "finish."

c) Close all programs except Ad-Aware.

d) Wait for the scanning process to complete. (Optionally, glance through the Ad-aware Help window that has popped up.) Close Ad-aware Help when done.

e) Click "Next."

f) Click "Critical Objects" and select all the items found for removal. ("Removal" actually puts things in quarantine, so you can generally recover them if you need to.)

g) Click "Privacy Objects" tab. "MRU list" refers to history lists of "Most recently used" files for different programs. You can review this now and note anything that appears suspicious to post a question about later.

h) Reboot your computer.

i) From Start, All Programs, Lavasoft Ad-aware, rerun Ad-aware.

j) Repeat steps ( c ) through (i) until no more items are found

If you removed any malware, reboot and repeat the scans that revealed it earlier. This is to make sure that the malware has not managed to reinstall itself.

If the malware did come back, use this sequence of actions:

a) Turn off System Restore

b ) Repeat the cleaning procedure used earlier

c) Reboot

d) Only then turn on System Restore

e) Reboot

f) Rescan

courtesy of DSLR

Stop using IE and get a real browser. Firefox, opera, etc. They're all free, and you won't have to worry about security holes you can drive a truck through.

If you're looking to fix your copy of IE (though really, it's not worth it), Hijackthis will work for you.

Just don't toss them on the keyboard. You can never get that cleaned up! B)

yahoo search has been redirecting searches for a while now. i found with google, it happen less often

get a mac...you'll never deal with another virus again (for the most part)

Piraf,

Spybot search and destroy is really good as is eveyhting else mentioned here.

Except if the big hammer doesn't work open the window and through the computer out. However this process does not work if you try and throw it out of a basement window. LOL