Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ging599

Long Island Chief's SUV stolen at alarm and involved in crash.

24 posts in this topic

At least six people were injured Tuesday after an unidentified teenager stole a Uniondale fire chief's SUV on the Hofstra University campus and sped away with emergency lights flashing before slamming into several vehicles, police said Tuesday.

A fire chief had rushed to Hofstra to answer an alarm and left his keys in the vehicle, which was also left running, while he investigated, when the suspect jumped in and drove off, said Nassau Police Det. Sgt. Richard Laursen.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-webcr...,0,740328.story

At least six people were injured Tuesday after an unidentified teenager stole a Uniondale fire chief's SUV on the Hofstra University campus and sped away with emergency lights flashing before slamming into several vehicles, police said Tuesday.

A fire chief had rushed to Hofstra to answer an alarm and left his keys in the vehicle, which was also left running, while he investigated, when the suspect jumped in and drove off, said Nassau Police Det. Sgt. Richard Laursen.

Well, it doesn't condone the thief's actions but it wasn't the smartest move to leave the vehicle like that.

This incident can happen to any IC who has to leave his vehicle running to power radio repeaters. The lsson is to secure your vehicle with another key.

Agreed, or the IC can remove the remote for the keyless entry (if they have one) from his/her key ring and just carry that in his pocket. I know of a lot of IC's that leave their car running with the keys in it during an incident but they usually don't stray to far from the vehicle after the initial size up.

This incident could have happened to anyone not just a fire chief, I guess the real question is how many chiefs do leave the keys in the car while it's running? How many people leave the keys in the car while running to into the store or deli to grab the newspaper or cup of coffee?

Bashing Alert. This incident can happen to any IC who has to leave his vehicle running to power radio repeaters. The lsson is to secure your vehicle with another key.

No it was completely idiotic and unprofessional for this to happen to any IC. Being familliar with the area I know that Uniondale/Hempstead is pretty much the "Mount Vernon" of Long Island. To leave your keys in your car running and then go out of view into a building is beyond words, I wouldn't even do that in Katonah! I'm not bashing anyone who doesn't deserve to be bashed. I apologize (kind of) if I offended anyone by calling out someone for being insanely irresponsible.

At Arlington Fire in Dutchess we have combination pads on all the fleet vehicles with the exception of the engines and trucks. I think that its a great way to secure the vehicles and not have to worry about remembering keys.

Well-said. I have to agree with Weaselff.

And for whoever asked about leaving keys in my ignitiion to run for a bagel or cup of coffee? Never ever EVER. Nowhere. Not even in foofy Bedford Hills or Bronxville or in my own dang driveway! Where do you think the bad guys are lurking most (in towns like I mentioned), expecting all the naive locals to do such a careless thing as leave a nice shiny car open and running???

On a side note Nassau County Police run EMS services? How does that work?

Its good to have two keys so you can lock the doors when you leave it runing that's what i do when i let the car warm up in the morning

Most of the flycar medics Ive seen leave the SUV on with the keys in the ignition. But they take the key remote with them so the doors are locked.

Agreed, or the IC can remove the remote for the keyless entry (if they have one) from his/her key ring and just carry that in his pocket. I know of a lot of IC's that leave their car running with the keys in it during an incident but they usually don't stray to far from the vehicle after the initial size up.

This incident could have happened to anyone not just a fire chief, I guess the real question is how many chiefs do leave the keys in the car while it's running? How many people leave the keys in the car while running to into the store or deli to grab the newspaper or cup of coffee?

I totally agree. This happens to civilians who "just ran into the ____ (insert Deli, Post Office, Bank, etc. here) for a minute" all the time. IF this fire chief had to leave the vehicle running to support radio equipment (not just to leave lights flashing in the parking lot) there should be a mechanism for locking it while it is unattended. It could be as simple as a second key!

The bottom line is we're constantly reminded of how this can happen but we continue to make the same mistakes - and this time it resulted in a major accident.

This isn't bashing (unless you count the remark about Mt Vernon B) ). It's a sad statement of FACT!

Well-said. I have to agree with Weaselff.

And for whoever asked about leaving keys in my ignitiion to run for a bagel or cup of coffee? Never ever EVER. Nowhere. Not even in foofy Bedford Hills or Bronxville or in my own dang driveway! Where do you think the bad guys are lurking most (in towns like I mentioned), expecting all the naive locals to do such a careless thing as leave a nice shiny car open and running???

I was also thinking along the lines of some psycho spoiled brat 15 year olds! I used to hang around a few when I was growing up in Westchester. You dont think "Dalton" who lives in the McMansion down the block wont take your car for a joy ride while you run in the store for a cup of coffee?

My truck has the keypad on the door - that makes things much easier when I want to leave it running while I am stopping somewhere quick. Some doors can't be locked with the keys in the ignition so that could be a pain.

Look what happened in Brewster a couple weeks ago with Kate the Rottie. he left his keys in teh car to get his coffee

http://www.lohud.com/article/2008902110350

Did he leave the vehicle unlocked or did the guy pop the glass? Happened to a FDNY EMS Lt a while back in front of a precinct on a sick job. Guy wrecked a few blocks away. Keys were in the ignition and remote in her pocket. Why not just invest in a deadman switch?

Only benefit to the old 97 ambulances is the ignitions are so stripped out you can start the truck and remove the key without the high idle.

Look what happened in Brewster a couple weeks ago with Kate the Rottie. he left his keys in teh car to get his coffee

http://www.lohud.com/article/2008902110350

Yeah, that was one of my favorite stories this month! What I found almost as funny as the man-eating dog in the backseat who scared off the carjacker was the fact that the vehicle owner runs an energy conservation company... yet drives a HUMMER! Can't make this stuff up, I tell ya...

On a side note Nassau County Police run EMS services? How does that work?

Depending on the area of the county if you call 911 you either get the PD amb or the FD if they are primary, most villages are primary..East Rockaway, Lynbrook, Floral Park are some. In Uniondale's case when you dial 911 you get the PD amb....if the 2 or 3 PD ambulances are busy it goes to the FD to handle the call.

Hofstra College is a fantastic campus in a world of its own compared to the surrounding area no way a Mt.Vernon. It's where the Jets used to practice if anyone has been there.

No it was completely idiotic and unprofessional for this to happen to any IC. Being familliar with the area I know that Uniondale/Hempstead is pretty much the "Mount Vernon" of Long Island. To leave your keys in your car running and then go out of view into a building is beyond words, I wouldn't even do that in Katonah! I'm not bashing anyone who doesn't deserve to be bashed. I apologize (kind of) if I offended anyone by calling out someone for being insanely irresponsible.

It was 3 in the afternoon, security was on scene at an on campus location and they go to the college for alarms probably about 200 times a year between aided cases and fire alarms something like this has never happened before. Do they need to re think sog's in regards to Chief cars on scene, no doubt about it. But I would not call this person "insanely irresponsible" because of the actions of some jackass stupid student. No way does he DESERVE to be bashed.

There has been a slew of emergency apparatus and vehicle thefts over the past few years. In Ct we had an ambulance stolen right out of the Hospital ER entrance right after they off loaded a patient. I believe it was Mount Vernon (?) had one of their ladders or engines hijacked while working at a fire in the past year or so. Heck a engine was stolen out of a fire house in Jewett City, CT and the building was locked up tighter than Fort Knox. It can happen anywhere to anyone at any time.

It can happen anywhere to anyone at any time.

I'm actually surprised that it doesnt happen more often. My guess is that it does, buf often times gets addressed internally if possible.

Edited by jayhalsey

like i say to my buddy's all the time it takes one split second for something to happen