Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Chimney Fires

15 posts in this topic

We experience a large amount of chimney fires every winter around me, due to lack of maintenance every fall. People fail to have their chimneys cleaned and they end up burning. On a few occaisions they got into the structure and gave us a run for our money, due to construction type and hazards in the house, like the home repairs or additions done by the drunk weekend warrior...but thats a whole other topic.

We have been using the chimney bombs in our attack and find they work well, and save exposure and length of time spent on the roof. Just close the damper, and drop the bomb in and let it work, than remove the plug and call the Codes Officer.

In the past we used the chain, and it was a pain in the rump to say the least. Lug the long chain up to the roof along with the long pike and roof ladder. Get set up by the chimney, size the chain to the chimney, and drop it repeatedly untill the burning plug is dropped into the flue area and removed through the exterior clean out and extinguished.

I have heard of flares, but have never seen any used, do any of you use them? Do they work?

Whats your tactics at chimney fires? Discuss...

I've used the dry chem bombs, found they're easy to use and effective.

I love chimney bombs and introduced them to Millwood about 10-12 years ago after using them extensively in Gettysburg, PA. I got a lot of pushback from folks who weren't progressive enough to see their benefit without hard proof. So I put them on all the rigs and it was a year or so before someone actually deployed one the way I had instructed, and it worked like a charm.... Chimney flares are crap!

Close the damper, drop the bomb, and cover the chimney with a plate.... Plastic melts, dri chem chokes the fire with very little damage to the house.

Don't use heavy duty bags as sometimes they don't melt fast enough... Use thin cheap bags like the ones you'd get fruit or vegetables in at the market.

We started using the bags quite a few years ago. I just rejoined the department a few years ago but noticed that there no longer any bags in the chimney kit, no one seems to know why but they are in the process of being added again.

I went to a chimney fire last week on a M/A call and a bag was deployed and the fire went out within a few minutes.

As for the flares, we used them a few times but not with the success of the dry chem bags. Also the problem with the chains are us causing damage, so we try not to use them if at all possible.

We tend to use both, on our last few chimney fires they have been using the chains. The last chimney fire I caught, the chains didn't do so well, they just couldn't hit the shelf in the right spot to knock out the debris. I am a fan of the bombs though and prefer to use them - and I definitely do not like the flares.

We use the bombs..bombs away LOL

Now here is an interesting thing to discuss. We all know water will crack the chimney wall when applied to chimney fires and therefore water is frowned upon...But, I have seen a special "Chimney Nozzle" I believe in a POK catalogue. Its a small diameter metal nozzle with a 90 degree bend in the end and a fine misting nozzle at the end of it. You hook it into the chimney and allow the water to mist down and cool the fire, but not drastically cool the chimney lining and crack it. Anyone see these before?

Thoughts?

While that could work, the increased chance of cracking the liner, as well as the increased effectiveness of the dry chem bombs, would seem like it would be an unnecessary risk and not an ideal means to put the chimney fire out. It is much more effective the smother the fire with a dry chem bomb than try to take the heat out of the fire with a small volume of water in a device (chimney) that is designed to retain heat.

Chimney flares are great. They only work on perfect chimneys, but they really look like you're doing something even when they don't help. We don't do many chimney fires, and usually just muscle up the chain and occasionally melt a fiberglass hook. Its not a frequent enough of an issue to motivate anyone to try something different.

Edited by ny10570

Two quick ideas I didn't see here yet:

1. Snowballs. They work great as they stay together until they get to the heat, like the ABC bombs and we've yet to see cracking from them.

2. Out a cast iron pan of water into the stove and close it up, the steam will kill the fire in the chimney.

We also use Chimfex but found out a few years ago that they are no longer made. Apparently the factory that made them burned down and was not rebuilt. While we have a supply of them, there are over 20 years old. I read a method in, it think, firehouse mag a couple of years ago where you use a positive pressure fan at a slow speed where you are pressurizing the chimney room. The fireplace needs to be cleaned out of logs, etc before using the fan then using a dri-chem extinguisher, you spray intermittently the chem up into the chimney. The fan pressure carries it up and puts out the fire. The drawback is the potential for extension from holes in the chimney so you must be checking each floor and attic with a TIC and be ready to deal with extension.

I have never tried this method so do not know how well, if at all, it works. Anyone out there ever try it?

We used the Chimfex for many years. We've used a quick shot of high pressure (1000 psi) fog, nut only in extreme circumstances. We most commonly use the bombs and chains, or the commercially available chimney cleaning tool. Mostly use the bombs, though.

We also go through the kits about 3 drills during the chimney fire season.

Two quick ideas I didn't see here yet:

1. Snowballs. They work great as they stay together until they get to the heat, like the ABC bombs and we've yet to see cracking from them.

2. Out a cast iron pan of water into the stove and close it up, the steam will kill the fire in the chimney.

Nice and simple and not technologically advanced. We have to remember to use the tools that are available to us. We don't always have to use specially crafted tools made just for the fire service.

I was introduced to the bombs and chains when in Virginia in the early/mid 90's. Our SOG was we used the bombs to extinguish any active fire and still chained the chimney to get any creosote still caked and possibly smoldering down in to the box to clean it out and dump it. I always thought both went hand in hand....

Not my idea, but I read this on FIREHOUSE.COM last year. It is similar to the bombs. Never tried it. We dont get any chimney fires.

Remove contents from firebox and extinguish outside of structure with water if needed.

Place PPV blower at appropriate door nearest fireplace and close off the rest of the house or door isolating fireplace room from rest of structure

Start up blower and run at 1/2 to full rpm as required to facilitate chimney drafting

Place dry chemical extinguisher hose in fireplace

1. Aiming it up the flue opening

2. Discharge the product in 1-2 second bursts

3. Be careful not to prolong this process as the product will be heavy and fall back down into the firebox area

4. Monitor the drafting process while discharging the extinguisher

5. Check for extension.

The advantage is that no one has to go on the roof.

Edited by LAD19DER NY