Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Ford To Offer Gasoline Ambulances In 2010

21 posts in this topic

Ford to Offer Gasoline Ambulances in 2010

Decision reverses 22-year diesel mandate that changed America's ambulance fleet

Unable to introduce an emissions compliant diesel engine for its 2010 model year E-Series vans and cutaways, Ford Motor Company announced March 3 its plans to offer a V-10 gasoline engine ambulance prep package instead. Amid tumbling overall sales and financial uncertainty, Ford broke the news at an National Truck Equipment Association (NTEA) truck show in Chicago. There had been speculation among manufacturers and EMS agencies about Ford's 2010 MY offerings, because new 2010 EPA emissions requirements were forcing the retirement of its current 6.0L PowerStroke diesel engine found in more than 70% of ambulances.

FULL STORY: http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/arti...%26+Oxygen+Myth

At work we have a F-350 with a gas V10 Triton and one with a diesel Powerstroke and the gas is a joke

Very interesting. I have never driven a V-10 on a truck chassis, I wonder if it has similar performance to the diesels. I assume not. Gas engines have probably increased in reliability over the years, but will you get the life and durability of a diesel in a gas engine? Not to mention all the companies/garages that have diesel tanks that might have to maintain two fuels or covert to gas tanks.

Yeah, I'll stick with my Diesel bus, thank you very much.

Gas vs Diesel not much comparision there

The E-Series is the van correct? If I read correctly they have not decided on the F series yet. Aren't most ambulances on the F series truck chassis rather ten on the E series van anyway way?

The E-Series is the van correct? If I read correctly they have not decided on the F series yet. Aren't most ambulances on the F series truck chassis rather ten on the E series van anyway way?

Type 1 ambulances have the F-Series front end (looks like a pic-up). Type 3 ambulances have an E-Series front end (van type), most ambulances around here are Type 3s with an E-Series front end.

As far as gas v. diesel, i really could care less.

Type 1 ambulances have the F-Series front end (looks like a pic-up). Type 3 ambulances have an E-Series front end (van type), most ambulances around here are Type 3s with an E-Series front end.

As far as gas v. diesel, i really could care less.

Care for illustrative examples?

021_19.JPG

Type 1.

018_162.JPG

Type 3.

Credit to an awesome MFC member, Dave, A.K.A. Bogey.

EDIT: Realized Type 2 is the EuroVan style - fixed for effect.

Edited by FiftyOnePride

2nd picture is a type 3. Type 2 is a full fan body (no box) conversion.

2nd picture is a type 3. Type 2 is a full fan body (no box) conversion.

Thanks - I was fixing my realized mistake when you posted, I appreciate it though!

And to add the OP - I have never driven a gasoline powered ambulance - our ambulances were converted before I was a certified driver - but if it lacks in the power ours have now, I prefer the diesel.

Edited by FiftyOnePride

I drove a few gas ambulances back in the day (type 2) and they had plenty of power. The biggest problem was that the gas engines really didn't stand up to the daily wear and tear that's put on an ambulance. My dad has the ford V-10 in his Class-A motor home and it has plenty of power.

I haven't experienced the V-10 in an E-series, but all I have to say is its probably the crappiest powerplant I know. I would rather have the V8 than the V10, but obviously diesel over gas anyways. It would be worth going with a Type 1 (if you are opposed to them I guess) than go with a gas type 2 or 3.

I would probably stick with the diesel, the V-10 is however a powerful engine. Just a little history lesson here, the V-10 replaced the 460, the 7.5l ford big block back in 1998 and ford only made the 460 strictly as a work engine though they did put them in lincolns years ago. Believe it or not they did put the 460 in the F-750's (like brewsters hose truck) back in the 90's. And what a work engine it was, but I guess with dodges V-10 they needed something to compete with that and over the years with ford using old technology such as the 460 they needed a change and the V-10 6.8l was born. Though I still like the classic 460, I have driven my uncles motorhome with the V-10 and in tech school I had a friend with a 1997 ford f-350 5 speed with a 460 and the V-10 had more power but like most older engines the 460 had more torque. sorry if I began to ramble, anyways ford should really think about puttin that new 6.4l into the ambulances (type 2's and 3's) that would be a smart move that is a powerful engine with 350 H.P. and over 400 pound-foot torque, thats good stuff, especially when someones life depends on it!

I drove a Type I Ambulance for a few years.

SWAB Ambulance

Chevy Silverado Cab

w/ a 454 Engine (Gas)

THEY WOULD FLY!!!! B)

It is hardly mentioned at the end of the article, but what about mpg's and idling fuel usage. As far as I know, gas engines get less of both of those. This needs to be taken into account. Just because it has a lower price at the pump, a gasoline engine may end up costing more then a diesel would.

When I joined PLeasantville VAC both buses (typeIII) were gas. Then we got the current 76B2 (7602) which is diesel. The gas powered buses had better acceration, but also were always hot. We had vents on top of the hood to help keep them cool, and IIRC there were a couple of times in the summertime when they were hard to start, especially if if it had just returned from a call, and were shut off. What other manufactures are still going to produce diesel, I think they may see an increase in business.

When I joined PLeasantville VAC both buses (typeIII) were gas. Then we got the current 76B2 (7602) which is diesel. The gas powered buses had better acceration, but also were always hot. We had vents on top of the hood to help keep them cool, and IIRC there were a couple of times in the summertime when they were hard to start, especially if if it had just returned from a call, and were shut off. What other manufactures are still going to produce diesel, I think they may see an increase in business.

Chevy C4500s. The thing about them is that they really aren't much larger than the ford e-class. The one mount kisco got is only about 6 inches longer and 3 inches taller!

I personally like the Chevy platform better acceleration (they actually move outta their way) and have better handling IMHO. As far I know with general PM we have had less issues (now I know that every many manufacturer's have their issues and this could GM's good years but still) I think they are def more comfortable, the back takes a lil gettin used to(Type 2)... As our ambulances need to be replaced we are replacing them with Chevy's including the MODS.

Chevy C4500s. The thing about them is that they really aren't much larger than the ford e-class. The one mount kisco got is only about 6 inches longer and 3 inches taller!

The boxes can be made any size... from the "mini-medic box" which i believe is one of the smallest Boxs on the MODS, to boxes that are much larger. It depends on what the Conversion Manufacturer has to offer. The back of the (Type 2's are a lil more cramped esp with the Safety net... I cant wait for the Chevy Type 1 to be out... Idn why but I've always liked the Type 1's... I think that since Ford is only going to offer a gas motor that may send alot of purchases to the Chevy side... I def think diesels are much better when run long hrs and long distances than gas can be....

Edited by EFFD4091-MLSS emt

Industry wide the vast majority is the van front. Most transport and nearly all BLS transport run type 2's and type 3's nearly as common as type 1's. While we may care about performance, as long as its "good enough" the people with purse strings only care about which is going to cheaper to run and thats going to be diesel. Ford is going to take a huge hit in this market but they should maintain their share of the type 1 market. As far as I know they have no issues with the f series engines.

I drove a Type I Ambulance for a few years.

SWAB Ambulance

Chevy Silverado Cab

w/ a 454 Engine (Gas)

THEY WOULD FLY!!!! B)

A 454! Thats awesome! That too was a very powerful engine for back in the day