Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Dirty Stethoscopes

7 posts in this topic

From "The Secret List" http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com

Can't say I'm not suprised

DO YOU GO ON EMS RUNS? DO YOU USE A STETHOSCOPE?

The authors of this study swabbed 50 stethoscopes of EMS providers presenting to their emergency department (ED) with patients. The swabs were then cultured to detect the presence of methicillin-resistant staph aureus (MRSA). They found 16 (32%) colonized with MRSA. When asked, none of the 16 (32%) could recall the last time their stethoscope had been cleaned.

http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/colu...tethoscope.html

Red wipes after every pt

EXACTLY what i used to do....'scopes kinda grossed me out... :(

Red wipes after every pt

Cabinet 10 Brother Goose.

EXACTLY what i used to do....'scopes kinda grossed me out... :(

Me, too. You need to take the diaghragm thing apart and swab under it (with a 50/50 water/bleach mix) and around the edges to really get all the cooties. Then soak the wafer thing that touches the pt. after each shift. Those gross little things really burrow in under there so just swabbing the part that touches the patient isn't nearly enough.

I never understood why RN's and MD's walk around with these cootie carrying steths around their necks, going pt. to pt., without cleaning it between pts. It's like blowing your nose into a handkerchief, then letting some stranger use your kerchief and then PUTTING IT BACK INTO YOUR POCKET. Just so flippin' gross! :blink:

Same here with the decon for me. This isn't just an EMS problem but hospitals as well try to get their doctors to do the same when going from patient to patient. They are often good at washing their hands but not so much the scopes.

Additionally other studies like this one have also found significant colonies of all kinds of nasty stuff in ambulances as well.

Same here with the decon for me. This isn't just an EMS problem but hospitals as well try to get their doctors to do the same when going from patient to patient. They are often good at washing their hands but not so much the scopes.

Additionally other studies like this one have also found significant colonies of all kinds of nasty stuff in ambulances as well.

Essentially, everyone you see is during an emergent situation. Time is of critical importance.

Non-ungent, clinic or hospitol based treatment has the advantage of time and I believe Tom is right. ("...They are often good at washing their hands but not so much the scopes...") This comes down to falling into bad habits. There was a time when I would clean the ear pieces, (inside and out) and the diaphragm with an alcohol prep; everytime a stethoscope hit my ears and someone's skin.

Goose's routine of decon efter every patient is a much, much better method. It stops the stethoscope from becoming a contaminated vector that you carry around from patient to patient and room to room. It also allows you to treat your patient's quickly and confidently knowing it is already clean.

At least we don't warm the diaphragm with your breath anymore! ;)

Edited by JimmyPFD