Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mlcougar2001

Westchester Special Operations Task Force

14 posts in this topic

They are an Engine Co. unless the WSOTF calls NR for our Squad.

This WSOTF everyone speaks about, Who is in charge of this and Who is responsible for calling on these designated piece of apparatus? I understand it is a well organized well trained group of persons but I think what i'm asking is if someone can explain or shed more light on the WSOTF and who what where when and why they should be utilitized. I'm looking for a detailed explanation. I know the basics, like who is apart of the task force, but what besides tech rescue what are they capable of(the tech rescue part was beat to death last week)... Where is there responses area besides the obvious districts they already cover?

The WSOTF was put together with federal money after the Sept 11 attacks on America. It was designed for a regional response from lower Westchester fire depts to have the same training, work under 1 incident command structure and deal with WMD's, mass decon, and any other hazmat situation from a terror attack. The idea was the first in the country and was even written about in fire engineering. We are able to respond immediately if needed to any such call with the most up to date equipment and highest level of training to accomplish the goal. The technical rescue part had nothing to do with the original concept but was probably added to make it a better service to the public. The FD's included are: New Rochelle, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, White Plains, Greenville, Hartsdale, Greenburgh, and Eastchester.

The system designed was a national model and the movement was led by Yonkers FD. It was written about in several publications, and discussed at several national conferences. Many areas around the nation developed similar systems based on this model. Greenville FD was also one of the stronger departments that helped to lead and grow this team.

Unfortunately, due to various situations that plague Westchester, the model couldn't be implemented as completly as it was designed, and that's unfortunate to the citizens. Home rule, duplication of resources, and egos are some of the things that, in my opinion, led the challenges that faced the system upon it's start. However, the team is proving itself again and again, most recently during a trench rescue in Eastchester. I strongly believe as this team responds to more and more incidents, they will prove themselves superior, while still being able to maintain firematic coverage in their respective districts.

They will respond anywhere they are needed or requested. They will also train and work with any agency that's willing to reciprocate.

Thank you very much for clarifing. Who technically in charge of the unit?

Thank you very much for clarifing. Who technically in charge of the unit?

During an Incident, the Incident Commander, and designated officers who are trained to that level.

General management is basically most of the Chiefs, Officers, Firefighters, and Commisioners of these departments woking together to get these grants, arrange training, etc etc. Everyone works together quite nicely, really.

General management is basically most of the Chiefs, Officers, Firefighters, and Commisioners of these departments woking together to get these grants, arrange training, etc etc. Everyone works together quite nicely, really.

While this is generally a good way to put it. The WSOTF oversight is provided by the Westchester Career Chiefs and Asst. Chief Fitzpatric is the operations chief and Deputy Chief John Reed (NRFD) is the administrative chief. A handful of other officers and firefighters working directly with them have done the majority of the work listed above.

but what besides tech rescue what are they capable of(the tech rescue part was beat to death last week)... Where is there responses area besides the obvious districts they already cover?

The system was designed to have 2 side; Hazmat/WMD and Tech Rescue.

The basic design is based on the "squad system"

A squad designation (by 60 Control Definition) means an engine company with a minimum of 5 firefighters and 1 officer who are fully trained/certified firefighters and hazmat/wmd technician and/or Technical Rescue Technicians (the squad is designated for HM &/or TR). They must be equipped with all the needed equipment to get started and may include a squad support unit (SSU) and or a trailer. Currently there are 5HM & 1TR squads (the plan was for 2 - 3 additional squads in Northern Westchester, but that was mentioned in the beat to death thread).

The squads are able designed to be a 1st in unit as well as a support unit. The squads must revolve around a full hazmat team or tech rescue team (which YFD provides both). In both drills and actual responses the squads have been able to handle minor hazmat (at the tech level, above the level of most FD's prior to the squads), start to set up and do recon, monitoring &/or reaserch prior to the hazmat teams arrival or fill in and provide any component of the overall hazmat incident. Examples of these components include: level A entry/back-up, suit support/medical monitoring/rehab, research (including plume modelling with Cameo), leak control, Technical and Mass decon, and detection. Each HM squad is equipped to do each of these functions, but the key is they are assigned generally only one function. We found that a serious incident requires at least 30 well trained members to properly deal with it. With this system we have a minimum of 56 on/duty members. The tech side is set up in a similar manor.

WSOTF trained over 700 members to HM Tech (including; PD ESU and EMS Special Ops Members), and a similar # to WMD Tech. plus at least 60 to advanced hazmat Tech. I don't remember how many we trained on the tech side, but they all got Rope Rescue, Trench & Collapse.

The training was all certified by OFPC &/or DHS, and most classes exceeded the standard hours (i.e. NYS HM Tech is 24 hrs....we did 40). But the big difference is everyone did all skills. Lots of suit time and lots of drills and scenarios. On the Tech side we did the same and got to run some major drills, including the use of the Yonker Race track parking garage before it was demo'ed (got to drop and lift a full ramp, cut thru floors, etc.) FDNY & NYS TF 2 (OFPC Albany) participated in this drill with us.

Hope this helps

It should be mentioned the host FD is the Incident Commander just as any Fire M/A incident -(as per NYS law home rule) whether they are career, combo or volunteer this can not be delegated - any tech rescue or Hazmat team would report to the local IC and function under "Operations" of the local Fire Chief.

The system was designed to have 2 side; Hazmat/WMD and Tech Rescue.

The basic design is based on the "squad system"

A squad designation (by 60 Control Definition) means an engine company with a minimum of 5 firefighters and 1 officer who are fully trained/certified firefighters and hazmat/wmd technician and/or Technical Rescue Technicians (the squad is designated for HM &/or TR). They must be equipped with all the needed equipment to get started and may include a squad support unit (SSU) and or a trailer. Currently there are 5HM & 1TR squads (the plan was for 2 - 3 additional squads in Northern Westchester, but that was mentioned in the beat to death thread).

The squads are able designed to be a 1st in unit as well as a support unit. The squads must revolve around a full hazmat team or tech rescue team (which YFD provides both). In both drills and actual responses the squads have been able to handle minor hazmat (at the tech level, above the level of most FD's prior to the squads), start to set up and do recon, monitoring &/or reaserch prior to the hazmat teams arrival or fill in and provide any component of the overall hazmat incident. Examples of these components include: level A entry/back-up, suit support/medical monitoring/rehab, research (including plume modelling with Cameo), leak control, Technical and Mass decon, and detection. Each HM squad is equipped to do each of these functions, but the key is they are assigned generally only one function. We found that a serious incident requires at least 30 well trained members to properly deal with it. With this system we have a minimum of 56 on/duty members. The tech side is set up in a similar manor.

WSOTF trained over 700 members to HM Tech (including; PD ESU and EMS Special Ops Members), and a similar # to WMD Tech. plus at least 60 to advanced hazmat Tech. I don't remember how many we trained on the tech side, but they all got Rope Rescue, Trench & Collapse.

The training was all certified by OFPC &/or DHS, and most classes exceeded the standard hours (i.e. NYS HM Tech is 24 hrs....we did 40). But the big difference is everyone did all skills. Lots of suit time and lots of drills and scenarios. On the Tech side we did the same and got to run some major drills, including the use of the Yonker Race track parking garage before it was demo'ed (got to drop and lift a full ramp, cut thru floors, etc.) FDNY & NYS TF 2 (OFPC Albany) participated in this drill with us.

Hope this helps

Hey Chief, just to clarify for you, NYS changed its curriculum to meet these hours. Haz-Mat Tech used to be 24 hours, but now its broken down into two categories...Haz-Mat Tech Basic (40 hours) and Haz-Mat Tech Advnaced (another 40 hours). I just took Basic at the academy this past June and plan to take the advanced this summer.

Hey Chief, just to clarify for you, NYS changed its curriculum to meet these hours. Haz-Mat Tech used to be 24 hours, but now its broken down into two categories...Haz-Mat Tech Basic (40 hours) and Haz-Mat Tech Advnaced (another 40 hours). I just took Basic at the academy this past June and plan to take the advanced this summer.

That's an improvement but at the time the SOTF was created, the hours were as stated.

Does the State now mandate that every participant in the class actually participate in all the activities? I mean you can't be a haz-mat tech if you don't actually put on the PPE and an SCBA during the course can you?

That's an improvement but at the time the SOTF was created, the hours were as stated.

Does the State now mandate that every participant in the class actually participate in all the activities? I mean you can't be a haz-mat tech if you don't actually put on the PPE and an SCBA during the course can you?

Oh yes - I did Tech just before Christmas, and they had us all in Class A suits, donning and doffing drills, wandering the drill field, doing manual dexterity tasks etc. etc.

Everyone does everything - classroom and practical. Wouldn't be much of a course if you didn't!

Oh yes - I did Tech just before Christmas, and they had us all in Class A suits, donning and doffing drills, wandering the drill field, doing manual dexterity tasks etc. etc.

Everyone does everything - classroom and practical. Wouldn't be much of a course if you didn't!

True but unfortunately in the past standards were not always maintained and people "coasted" through. :(

Hopefully none of them are actively involved in haz-mat responses...

I take my training at the academy in Montaur Falls. There, you participate in hands on training and prove youre proficient or you do not test out. We donned level "A" suits, did dexterity drills individually like putting a self tapping screw into a plastic container, tying a knot and untying it, putting a puzzle of 1/2 black pipe and valves together according to a diagram, collecting a powder "Sample" in a sample container and sealing it...etc. Than we did decon in suits, and practiced leak control on the leak simulator in suits.

In advanced class they make you do more advanced leak control hands on training.